Lucasfan7 Scout build take 2

Lucasfan7

Hi everyone, I hope all is well.

I have slowly been putting together my second biker scout and finally decided to start a WIP. I usually work in the shadows when it comes to detachments because I primarily use them for research, but i realized the sense of community and getting to know members that my WIP on the SLD created for me so I’m pushing myself to get one done this time on my scout. 
I originally made a scout back in 2015 but didn't take it that seriously during the build because I rushed it so I never went for lancer. I ended up selling it a couple years ago because I had a handful of costumes and it was the one that got the least amount of use, plus I felt that i could have focused more love and attention during the build which didn’t leave it feeling special to me. I have since focused a lot more of my time on family, which has pushed me to sell off all my costumes besides my clone which I was lucky enough to become the CRL for, so it holds a very special place in my heart and my passion for the 501st. 
Over this last year I have been reminiscing on past troops with my wife and some of my closest friends in my garrison and have realized that the most fun I have had trooping was in my Biker scout, which would have been even more special if I would have been more focused on the build and the history of the costume instead of rushing. 
Sooooooo I decided to build another, which will pretty much be the costume that becomes me as a member and I take pride in. Possibly the “last costume” kinda thing. I miss going to troops and just having fun, not having to become Vader or do a certain voice so that the audience thinks I’m real and reflecting on Star Wars in a positive light. I miss being a trooper that can just be himself and use his own voice and be free to go patrol at a troop. I miss pretending that Vader and the officers are my bosses that I have to listen to, I miss scouting the crowd for rebel scum and looking for traitors of the empire.
So I decided that if I’m going to do it again then this time I’m going to put a little extra time, research and money into it. Also I hope I can get to know more of you on here through the process. I’m horrible at remembering to take pictures during builds so this WIP might be kinda lame, but at least I will have a designated spot to post my questions without feeling like I’m posting my question in the wrong place😂

-Parts-

•Helmet-RS red label

•Armor-SC

•Gloves-Wampa Wear

•Boots-Crow props

•Soft goods-
-Cummerbund-cheesewhoopy 

-Vest-chefs creations 

Flight suit-chefs creations

•Blaster-Darth Vorhees

•Helmet electronics-(mic,fans)-Ukswrath

• Like 1

Welcome back to the fold, Manoah!  Let's get you up and running again.  Any questions, just ask

Awesome, thanks brother. I do have a question that will help me with my WIP that is not costume related, what is the easiest way to upload pictures. I know it’s a hassle on all forums to upload pics but what have you found to be the least time consuming? 

The best way we’ve found is by using Tapatalk. You can snap a photo on your device and then just drop it into the forum post. On the main forum most folks use a hosting service like imgur. You can get tapatalk for free at either the Google Play or Apple stores.

• Like 2

Great backstory Manoah! Welcome back to the fold! I too used a RS red label bucket and Ukswrath audio for my Lancer build. Feel free to poke around my WIP to see the setup. The only change needed for the bucket is the removal of the fabric from the ears - an easy fix.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21137-dennis-scout-wip-lancer/

I second Pete’s advice on Tapatalk. It’s free and I found that for most of my own WIP the free version sufficed. There is a limit to the number of photos you can upload each month using the app, but it should suffice. When I began the home stretch and was posting numerous photos for my Lancer app, etc., I just upgraded to the paid version which is $1.00 per month and can be cancelled anytime.

Looking forward to seeing your WIP. You’re in good hands with the armorers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Retrofire said:

The best way we’ve found is by using Tapatalk. You can snap a photo on your device and then just drop it into the forum post. On the main forum most folks use a hosting service like imgur. You can get tapatalk for free at either the Google Play or Apple stores.

Awesome, yeah I’m familiar with Tapatalk, our garrison used to use it. Let me go re download it and hop on. I will be out of town for work this week which means a lot of alone time, so hopefully I will get some pics uploaded. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Great backstory Manoah! Welcome back to the fold! I too used a RS red label bucket and Ukswrath audio for my Lancer build. Feel free to poke around my WIP to see the setup. The only change needed for the bucket is the removal of the fabric from the ears - an easy fix.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21137-dennis-scout-wip-lancer/

I second Pete’s advice on Tapatalk. It’s free and I found that for most of my own WIP the free version sufficed. There is a limit to the number of photos you can upload each month using the app, but it should suffice. When I began the home stretch and was posting numerous photos for my Lancer app, etc., I just upgraded to the paid version which is $1.00 per month and can be cancelled anytime.

Looking forward to seeing your WIP. You’re in good hands with the armorers here.

Ooooo brotha, I have already read your WIP in it’s entirety twice. Very thorough and a great resource to learn from. I actually have all your lancer app pics saved in a folder on my phone to reference for my build..... minus the rivets, lol. I had to make sure I measured my rivets a few times before some of the work I did on my kit. Thanks to a few WIPs on here, I have learned rivet sizing and placement is extremely vital, lol.

it’s good to hear about the red label bucket as well, it is a beautiful helmet and I can’t wait to get it in. Some of my favorite builds on here have had the RS and it’s a very iconic look. I’m so glad that SC updated their kit to be more accurate because I loved the durability of the last one I had, but their bucket always left me wanting more.I’m also a fairly tall guy so the smaller size of their helmet definitely threw the proportions off. 
on the UKs wraith audio, do you think loop side sticky Velcro placed behind the snout will eliminate the feedback in the mic or is foam padding really needed? 

• Like 1

I’m having trouble locating some sort of reference pictures for the attachment point of how the zip ties connect under the chest and back armor bridge. I know that most use a zip tie mount for the shoulder armor but what is the go to for the armor bridge area. Also is it known exactly how the zip ties were attached in ROTJ?
PS-I’m posting this from Tapatalk and testing my ability to post a picture so sorry for the random scout picture....... or lack there of if this doesn’t workfa5d0f5c66c663b2448ff24122c3f378.jpg

This is one way to do it:

bridgeconnect3.jpg

Image taken from this thread, which is worth a read: http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/17305-lancer-build-tutorial/

This is one way to do it:
bridgeconnect3.jpg
Image taken from this thread, which is worth a read: http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/17305-lancer-build-tutorial/

Thanks chopper, How is your elastic band that covers your bridge connection being held on?

That's Strider's photo, but many of us have used the same way to rig it up. There is velcro sewn on the ends of the elastic (you can faintly see the stitch marks), which attach to the velcro on the underside.

on the UKs wraith audio, do you think loop side sticky Velcro placed behind the snout will eliminate the feedback in the mic or is foam padding really needed? 

First, thanks for the accolades! I’m glad my WIP has been helpful, and feel free to hit me up with any question you might have.

As for the Ukswrath audio, I used 3M outdoor mounting tape to secure the new plate with greeblie and mic to the snout and have not used any foam padding on the inside of the face plate behind the mic. I haven’t had any feedback issues, but I have to test the mic volume when suiting up, b/c if it is cranked all the way up or too high it does produce feedback. However, I find the volume it operates at without feedback to be fine for trooping. Might be an issue if you’re in a large place with lots of noise like a convention where you need max volume, but I haven’t done a troop like that yet.

First, thanks for the accolades! I’m glad my WIP has been helpful, and feel free to hit me up with any question you might have.

As for the Ukswrath audio, I used 3M outdoor mounting tape to secure the new plate with greeblie and mic to the snout and have not used any foam padding on the inside of the face plate behind the mic. I haven’t had any feedback issues, but I have to test the mic volume when suiting up, b/c if it is cranked all the way up or too high it does produce feedback. However, I find the volume it operates at without feedback to be fine for trooping. Might be an issue if you’re in a large place with lots of noise like a convention where you need max volume, but I haven’t done a troop like that yet.

Ok cool, yeah that makes a lot of sense. I hooked up up just to test it out and it’s not crazy loud at it’s highest volume, so I will most likely just rock it all the way up the majority of the time so that way I can talk normal in my bucket. I will be having the chatter loop playing as well and the most annoying thing I used to experience is when I’m trying to talk to someone and then the chatter desires to go off for what feels like 5 minutes and I have to wait to talk again. I will try some different methods and see what works, but I’m hoping something thin like industrial loop side Velcro will be enough of a buffer, if not I will try something else.

That's Strider's photo, but many of us have used the same way to rig it up. There is velcro sewn on the ends of the elastic (you can faintly see the stitch marks), which attach to the velcro on the underside.

Ok cool, so for the most part, the white bridge cover is just there for screen accuracy? Now I’m super curious as to how the original zip ties attached. I’m sure that has been discussed. I was also pausing through ROTJ yesterday and noticed some scenes where it looks like there could have been a bigger strap used. I know how much research goes into the lancer specs but is there a whole lot known about that one specific detail on the costume? It’s hard to tell in the MOTM pictures, but what was the attachment Method there?

This is the Right side connection on the Scout that hits Han and it looks like a large black strap, I looked at the left side of the same costume and it looks like the zip tie. Bother the pictures are of the right side with what appears to be a bigger strap2ea6f56f11dd3d17a1d944d68b949352.jpg
b0a059935c2008101f0a65e0eb1a1f1c.jpg

9 minutes ago, Lucasfan7 said:

Ok cool, so for the most part, the white bridge cover is just there for screen accuracy? Now I’m super curious as to how the original zip ties attached. I’m sure that has been discussed. I was also pausing through ROTJ yesterday and noticed some scenes where it looks like there could have been a bigger strap used. I know how much research goes into the lancer specs but is there a whole lot known about that one specific detail on the costume? It’s hard to tell in the MOTM pictures, but what was the attachment Method there?

The white bridge cover covers the gap formed by the area where the front and back shoulder straps come together.  

As far as I know, they just used zip tie anchors to hold the zip ties in place.  They work super well.  I have them in my shoulder bells and on my shoulder straps and they've held firm for over 3 years now.  

The zipties were a recent discovery, mostly because we have higher rez photos available.  And once we were clued into it being there, it becomes obvious in several scenes in the film.  You can see it in the blue screen speeder bike chase.  You can see it in the mannequin Scout in the Costumes book, and @MrPoopie posted a 4K screenshot recently where you can clearly see the ziptie.  

Looks like a ziptie there.
15971e90b71545629ae78296d6cf3b53.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The white bridge cover covers the gap formed by the area where the front and back shoulder straps come together.  
As far as I know, they just used zip tie anchors to hold the zip ties in place.  They work super well.  I have them in my shoulder bells and on my shoulder straps and they've held firm for over 3 years now.  
The zipties were a recent discovery, mostly because we have higher rez photos available.  And once we were clued into it being there, it becomes obvious in several scenes in the film.  You can see it in the blue screen speeder bike chase.  You can see it in the mannequin Scout in the Costumes book, and [mention=80362]MrPoopie[/mention] posted a 4K screenshot recently where you can clearly see the ziptie.  

Awesome, thanks brotha, is there a thread or good page I can check out with good resolution pictures? This is all definitely a good learning experience

Looks like a ziptie there.
15971e90b71545629ae78296d6cf3b53.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The funny thing is now that I see what you are looking at, I can’t see what I originally sawlol

Yeah this stuff can really make you go cross-eyed after awhile.  A lot of these discoveries have only been made in the last 5 years, largely due to the Costumes book, higher resolution versions of ROTJ and some help from folks who have seen the armor in the LFL archives.  So it might seem like a lot if you haven't been in Scout land since 2015.  That's about when all this stuff was becoming known.  

What are you looking for photos of?  If you want to see inside the armor to how things were connected, well we don't have any pictures of that.  That would be the Holy Grail around these parts!  And honestly, we don't concern ourselves with whats going on inside your armor. We only care about how it appears from the outside.  So if you want to attach your zipties with duct tape -- all good.  Although I wouldn't count on it holding up on a troop ;)

Yeah this stuff can really make you go cross-eyed after awhile.  A lot of these discoveries have only been made in the last 5 years, largely due to the Costumes book, higher resolution versions of ROTJ and some help from folks who have seen the armor in the LFL archives.  So it might seem like a lot if you haven't been in Scout land since 2015.  That's about when all this stuff was becoming known.  
What are you looking for photos of?  If you want to see inside the armor to how things were connected, well we don't have any pictures of that.  That would be the Holy Grail around these parts!  And honestly, we don't concern ourselves with whats going on inside your armor. We only care about how it appears from the outside.  So if you want to attach your zipties with duct tape -- all good.  Although I wouldn't count on it holding up on a troop

Lol, that’s the truth. I’m the same way when it comes to that. I really want to make this kit as screen accurate looking as possible but I know there is a fine line between screen accurate and durable fir a long life of trooping, so I plan to make it look lancer on the outside but strong on the inside. I already know I’m going to have a problem with dumbing down the weathering. I love it a little too much but want this kit to have a ROTJ feel.........
Now that I’m really looking at close up screen grabs, I realized there is a bit more weathering than I originally thought but my natural inclination would be to take all the awesome weathering from every suit used and slap it on my kitlol. But I know that will ruin it so I have to slow myself down when I get to that point.

• Like 1

So here is a little rough draft of some weathering which I don’t really like cause it doesn’t have the spray effect that you see in the ROTJ but it is subtle compared to what I’m used to, especially in the direct sunlight. I plan to clean this off completely and do weathering closer to the screen stuff mixed with Luke’s x-wing helmet in ROTJ. Probably a bit closer to the Star Wars life size scout that Gino didea35ca5863269d6bb7dac48e0c711954.jpg

• Like 1