Riot Baton JFO

gmrhodes13

Thanks to the free files from MrPoopie I thought I'd give a JFO Riot Baton a go.

I've missed taking photos of the boring bits, printing, glue, spray putty, sand, prime, sand then paint, I get a little carried away and forget about photos. 

Here it is assembled

pwNjZvn.jpg

I like all of my weapons have to have lights and sound and although I've not played the game or know the actual sound one makes I know the lighting is blue.

I tried some blue EI wire and it looked pretty silly, also tried some blue print filament in the end which was ok but really didn't light that well. So in the end I stripped down an old lightsaber, removed the electronics and started fitting them inside the baton.

The end was great to hide the speaker in BUT you can barely hear it.

So as I do to all my weapons, external jack added, a cable runs up my arm around the chest and to the aker amp, now this is a little more like it.

I know it's not 100% screen accurate but the younglings won't care and it's going to be nice and loud at the next convention (eventually when we can have one) ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Very nice!  @MrPoopie check this out!

• Like 1

Great work. It's great to see someone take these models and run with the idea of making them more realistic. I've been toying with some ideas for a while but have yet to try any out. 

Any plans to light up the extended rod? Maybe a silver opaque internal cover with some lightning style lighting inside. 

• Like 1

Dude, that is a SWEEEET set up and a wicked idea! Well done. So my question is how did you retro fit your saber parts into the staff? Any pics?

1 minute ago, AradunFF said:

Dude, that is a SWEEEET set up and a wicked idea! Well done. So my question is how did you retro fit your saber parts into the staff? Any pics?

Unfortunately no images, the electronic board from the cheap lightsaber is only a small rectangle, fits in the end cap, added a 3 x AA cylinderical battery pack so that fits in the staff as well. There are wires running between the grips and inner pipe that go to the switch and AV jack. In the end is a HI bright blue LED, just two wires there all the way up the center, I had to add extra wire and coil it so it wouldn't catch when the shaft is extended.

5 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

Great work. It's great to see someone take these models and run with the idea of making them more realistic. I've been toying with some ideas for a while but have yet to try any out. 

Couldn't have done it without your files, rare someone makes files and doesn't try to cash in, you Sir are a gentleman default_salute.gif

11 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Very nice!  @MrPoopie check this out!

Cheers Mickey, I think we need some awards around here, Justin definitely deserves if for his kind share

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I couldn't have done it without your files, rare someone makes files and doesn't try to cash in, you Sir are a gentleman default_salute.gif

Cheers Mickey, I think we need some awards around here, Justin definitely deserves if for his kind share

Thank you. I get plenty of satisfaction from seeing Pathfinders succeeding and doing great things (projects, trooping, helping others). Just keep sharing when you can and bringing happiness to others. Long live the Empire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, gmrhodes13 said:

He's already a Lancer, Ranger and Armorer!  I think we ran out of things to give him.  :D

• Haha 1

He's already a Lancer, Ranger and Armorer!  I think we ran out of things to give him. 

There’s always the E11-P
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We're very fortunate to have folks like you all. You're no slouch Glen you bring a wealth of knowledge of costuming and talent to this Detachment and it is greatly appreciated!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Retrofire said:

We're very fortunate to have folks like you all. You're no slouch Glen you bring a wealth of knowledge of costuming and talent to this Detachment and it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the kind words Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Luy Zypher said:

Awesome work 😍 sounds great and every FA Scout is a nightmare to the Jedi scum

One question: what are the dimension of the baton (retracted and extended)?

Roughly 96cm closed and 119.5cm fully extended.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luy Zypher said:

Roughly 96cm closed and 119.5cm fully extended.

Thanks, Bro 😀  I expected it to be longer when extended

It seems like it but since the whole "cattle prod" head is still there when it's collapsed it feels longer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

It seems like it but since the whole "cattle prod" head is still there when it's collapsed it feels longer. 

one more question - is your baton with all the electronics still extendable? How did you manage this? Is there enough space for the circuitboard?

1 minute ago, Luy Zypher said:

one more question - is your baton with all the electronics still extendable? How did you manage this? Is there enough space for the circuitboard?

Mine isn't electrified. I had plans for it but never got around to it. There is actually extra space below the extending shaft for batteries and electronics though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Luy Zypher said:

Yes the circuit board fits in the base handle, wiring is wound like a spring and is longer in the inner pipe so it will extend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

[MENTION]gmrhodes13[/MENTION] Glen, you used the sound board from a old cheap saber. Did you use the LED from the saber as well, or did you source it from somewhere else.

Sabers and sound boards are foreign territory for me, but I’m looking to do a similar set up with my build.

If you or anyone else has suggestions on what to use for a sound board and LED, I’d greatly appreciate hearing them.

I use high-bright LED's I normally purchase them from Aliexpress as they are a lot cheaper than most other places I have access to over here.

I just don't have the brain power for setting up more elaborate electronics, I see a lot of others using the Arduino boards for sounds and light in blasters as you can add custom sounds.

• Like 2

Thanks Glen! I was looking a some 5mm blue led diodes but was uncertain if they’d be bright enough. I was also looking at 194 led bulbs with T10 sockets, typically used as replacements for interior auto and dash lights, but I’d need to rework the opening at the base of the tip to make that work.

I’ll have to see what I can dig up along the lines of a cheap saber. I think my son has one lying around somewhere, if he can find it.

• Like 1

Normally I just type in hi bright or ultra light led in the search and they come up. I have also found cheap colored torches and kids finger lights at novelty and discount stores which also have the hi bright led's

5845509c07c9344aa288f82c-large.jpg?cache

• Thanks 1