New Patrol Trooper Helmet Maker

MrPoopie

New Patrol Trooper Helmet Kit

I'm very pleased to show off a new Patrol Trooper helmet from @troygordon2. He's been working tirelessly to create an extremely accurate version of the PT helmet for all of us. Please look through the photos provided and see what he's come up with. I feel like this is as close to the screen-used and just as accurate as the Anovos helmet with one exception, it actually exists. 

@troygordon2 will be offering these helmets for sale very soon but I wanted to make sure everyone got to see what it looks like first.

I'm sure he can do a better job of explaining the actual properties of the build but I can summarize. 

Resin main helmet with separate detail parts for the blast shield, nose bridge and mouth (2 parts). There are also tubes for the sides of the cheeks but they aren't shown in the pictures.The marbled coloring comes from varying resins used.

As soon as there is pricing there will be a listing in the Vendors forum.

50473083266_4ca1e2f53b_h.jpg

50472381373_4199869a03_h.jpg

50472380938_4d555ffe23_h.jpg

50473083506_8f9013cdee_h.jpg

50473082831_3f210134a0_h.jpg

50472380638_89b6bc6c50_h.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

I feel like this is as close to the screen-used and just as accurate as the Anovos helmet with one exception, it actually exists. 

Burn! :D

• Haha 2

[mention]troygordon2 [/mention] awesome detail brother! This looks incredible. You’ve really set the bar as far a accuracy and detail go. Well done!

• Like 1

All, Thanks for the kind remarks.  I'm pretty new here, haven't even finished my ROTJ Scout build (but will!), but I've been making helmets since 2013 and selling them with the shop name of Luna Armor Works.  Mostly Halo, Titanfall, Destiny, custom work, and some Star Wars.  As an artist, it's tough to see past the flaws in our work, but I'm pretty pleased with how this finally came together.  It "took too many hours to be proud of".  We (@MrPoopie and I) started this work back in March before the world went sideways, had one version done in May, but then it needed to be scrapped once I had it in hand and didn't like how it came out.  Then my printer died and I had to fix that.  Then schools here got cancelled.  Then I worked on the Montana Mask design group.  Then..well... it's been a busy few months for the world.  BUT, we kept tweaking and working, and I'm proud of what we've got in the end.  I'll send 2 out to those who commissioned me this week and let them give it a thorough review, but I'll tell you what I've got and how it's made.  With the exception of the ear piece which came from a commission from Alain Rivard, the rest was built from the ground up in Blender.

There are 4 molds plus one 3d printed part to the design, plus the visor material and hoses.  The helmet main body, 2 chin parts that slide under the face fin things, and what I am calling the "Tiara" on the forehead.  The main body is made from several different resins, which is why it has the mottled appearance.  I use a slow cure resin first
(smoothcast 300), pushing it into the corners and details of the mold.  Then I use a medium and fast cure resin (smoothcast 320 mixed with Onyx), and sometimes straight Onyx, to cast additional layers,  I add bondo body filler under the opening rim and sandwich that between layers of resin because it's far easier than trying to slosh the resin in there to get a full and tough base to trim and sand during clean up.  Different materials all add a little bit of reinforcement to one another, and the composite has worked well for me over the years.  There is some dremmel work that needs to be done in the rear vents (damn you air bubbles!), trimming out and sanding the visor area, under the face fin to allow easy sliding of the upper greeblie, and the base opening, but not all that much, and some slight sanding to finish it up.  The chin pieces and tiara require some sanding from the molds too, but very little.   

The Tiara is actually made from something called "Feather Lite" from smooth on, and even though its a solid plastic piece, it weighs VERY little.  It rests easily on the lip of the brow of the main body.  I hit them with a heat gun and ensure the shape is formed to be as flush with the helmet as possible.  

The teeth are 3d printed. I tried molding them, but the material is so thin I keep breaking it trying to pull it from the mold, so it's easier and far less expensive to print them.  I also hit them with a heat gun and form fit them into the inside of the helmet, which has a small inset that holds the teeth in place.   

The only pieces we are missing are the visor at this time, and the side hoses.  I've ordered some 3/8 inch hose to test out (What's a "Metric system?") as 1/4 seems too small.  I'll update as I make that adjustment and get kits ready to sell and post pics.  

Again. Thanks for the kind words.  I'm loving the group and the vibe and hope to be a respectable member soon.

Troy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just received my helmet and wanted to share some high res photos.

50507950782_f85003cada_k.jpg

50507952797_4671671b04_k.jpg

50507790186_820203c293_k.jpg

50507791786_42424a40a8_k.jpg

50507957487_e9ee0a7673_k.jpg

50507086908_da18178cad_k.jpg

50507089188_5fc142da9c_k.jpg

50507091628_b479e88393_k.jpg

50507967757_0f290aa121_k.jpg

50507805571_4c1c215627_k.jpg

50507972552_f33130a14e_k.jpg

50507811271_801ed7e140_k.jpg

50507106173_a9f65ddfca_k.jpg

50507982122_41abf45b92_k.jpg

50507785116_39921dbd74_k.jpg

• Like 2

A thing of beauty! You know you’re totally stoked to wear it Justin.

4 minutes ago, AradunFF said:

A thing of beauty! You know you’re totally stoked to wear it Justin.

Very much. I took it for a test drive this afternoon. I'm hoping to get to work on it this weekend. 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Just for an update , as when I do another kit its the PT , and have spoken to troy and he would be willing to ship to the UK despite what his Etsy says but obviously its gonna be reasonable cost, that said for the quality it would be its gonna be worth it

1 minute ago, TreeHuggerMatt said:

Just for an update , as when I do another kit its the PT , and have spoken to troy and he would be willing to ship to the UK despite what his Etsy says but obviously its gonna be reasonable cost, that said for the quality it would be its gonna be worth it

I may have printed my own armor files but I went with Troy's helmet. It's great quality for the details and wearability. I also have his Mountain Trooper which I'm currently working on.

Just to add to this... the helmet here is a really nice helmet, BUT, it's sized for heads that are Medium to Large. I usually wear an XL helmet and when I got this, I had to grind out some of the resin in the nose area just to get it on. If it was 5% larger (or close to that) it would fit a wider range of heads.

So, a very nice helmet for sure, but not for larger heads. I know I'll be looking for an alternative to print once I finish rebuilding my scout (hopefully this year).

• Like 2

Agreed. My helmet does touch the tip of my nose once it's on. I have a fairly tall head and a large nose.

Usually wear 7 1/2 caps / hats ( new era nfl stuff which says it comes out as medium to maybe large so fingers crossed 

10 minutes ago, Dart said:

Just to add to this... the helmet here is a really nice helmet, BUT, it's sized for heads that are Medium to Large. I usually wear an XL helmet and when I got this, I had to grind out some of the resin in the nose area just to get it on. If it was 5% larger (or close to that) it would fit a wider range of heads.

So, a very nice helmet for sure, but not for larger heads. I know I'll be looking for an alternative to print once I finish rebuilding my scout (hopefully this year).

18 hours ago, TreeHuggerMatt said:

Usually wear 7 1/2 caps / hats ( new era nfl stuff which says it comes out as medium to maybe large so fingers crossed 

I usually wear a 7 3/4 hat (head circumference of 24").

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2024 at 10:30 AM, Dart said:

I usually wear a 7 3/4 hat (head circumference of 24").

I think I printed the original for finishing and molding based on the dimensions of a standard TK stormtrooper helmet.  It's just too expensive to make so many different molds, though I wish I could get away with it!

• Like 2