Are these 3D printed files OKAY?

BLACKFOX

Has anyone used these 3D printed files to make their Patrol Trooper? Since I have my our 3D Printer I thought I would print my own armour.

http://do3d.com/product/3d-printable-model-patrol-trooper-helmet-armor-and-boots-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-movie-print-file-format-stl/

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

51 minutes ago, BLACKFOX said:

Has anyone used these 3D printed files to make their Patrol Trooper? Since I have my our 3D Printer I thought I would print my own armour.

http://do3d.com/product/3d-printable-model-patrol-trooper-helmet-armor-and-boots-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-movie-print-file-format-stl/

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So far all the approved Patrol Troopers have used the Armory Shop kit.

Those models look like they need updating.  The shin armor for one is wrong and looks just like the Shoretrooper.  

The thermal detonator is also wrong.

For the most part, the stuff above the waist looks okay -- but given how wrong some of the other pieces are, I would not be surprised to find errors there too.

@MrPoopie is working on a set.  Not sure if they are ready for general consumption yet though.  

8 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

@MrPoopie is working on a set.  Not sure if they are ready for general consumption yet though.  

@BikerScout007 is correct in saying that the do3d files are not approvable without some changes to many of the parts. We are working on 3D models but they aren't completed just yet. They're probably about 80% done. I'll let everyone know when they're complete if you would like to go that route. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

Hi! I have been building the do3d kit for a few weeks. I’ve been in touch with them and they’ve updated their abdomen file and I sourced a file from somewhere else for the thermal detonator. 
I have yet to print the boot armour. As someone mentioned above, it’s more like the shore trooper. I may modify their model for now until they update it. 

FFC1F190-DFC7-4F1F-870F-69AEDD86D0D6.jpeg

456D5A2B-B720-4269-BB5C-ECBE82912FF9.jpeg

If there is any mixing and matching anyone can advise to make it more accurate I would be very grateful. 
All advice will be received gratefully as this is my first armour build. I usually build droids but absolutely love the patrol trooper.

1 minute ago, Glynn said:

If there is any mixing and matching anyone can advise to make it more accurate I would be very grateful. 
All advice will be received gratefully as this is my first armour build. I usually build droids but absolutely love the patrol trooper.

I'm waiting for @MrPoopie to chime in as he is not only our 3D printing expert but he has deep knowledge of the Patrol Trooper.

I don't love that back piece.  It seems really off proportion wise.  As it's identical to the Shoretrooper, maybe try out Sean Fields' files for the back armor.  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/27klw0a6voyqbtr/AACNrwrXNihtwHK-gm1jveP3a/Shoretrooper Back?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

Hi! I have been building the do3d kit for a few weeks. I’ve been in touch with them and they’ve updated their abdomen file and I sourced a file from somewhere else for the thermal detonator. 
I have yet to print the boot armour. As someone mentioned above, it’s more like the shore trooper. I may modify their model for now until they update it. 

FFC1F190-DFC7-4F1F-870F-69AEDD86D0D6.jpeg

456D5A2B-B720-4269-BB5C-ECBE82912FF9.jpeg

Let me refer you to another post where we were discussing this very thing.  

Basically the Do3D files have many inaccuracies, most of which wouldn't stop you from a Level 1 certification but the details are usually low bar for sure. I' haven't had a chance to pour over the individual Do3D files as I don't have a copy of them, I can only go off the images that I've seen and a few printed parts as well. If you've got a copy of the files and wouldn't mind sending them over to me I can take a closer look.  After analyzing the files I'll delete them, it's just for reference. 

There's also the issue of the abs being a rigid part. It has been discussed that this is actually a non-rigid (rubber, foam, etc.) part and has some flex to it. Again having a printed ab section won't disqualify you from a certification it's just something to be aware of.

• Like 2

Here's the breakdown for the Do3D files. I decided it made more sense to finally just put this in a new thread for everyone to easily see. I'll put the breakdown for my files up soon but I'll let another armorer critique it instead of me.