Patrol trooper DO3D

Evilshadow

Hi guys ^^

Hope you are doing fine, I'm asking myself if the kit offered by DO3D is valid for the 501st, if it is, I will try to make it :)

http://do3d.com/product/3d-printable-model-patrol-trooper-helmet-armor-and-boots-from-solo-a-star-wars-story-movie-print-file-format-stl/

Best regards!

post-83504-0-42858700-1531952532_thumb.jpg

post-83504-0-52578900-1531952541_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi guys ^^

Hope you are doing fine, I'm asking myself if the kit offered by DO3D is valid for the 501st, if it is, I will try to make it :)

http://do3d.com/prod...ile-format-stl/

Best regards!

The CRL is still not complete and approved by the Legion, so right now nothing is valid for the 501st. We hope to be finishing it up soon though, so stay tuned!

• Like 1

I see now, they have wrong details/shape at:

1) shoulder bells

2) forearms

3) shins

4) thermal detonator

5) backplate

6) aerator details on helmet

7) boot covers

8) collar

Maybe they will update model in future, but so far it's "too far" from accurate.

Отправлено с моего SM-A520F через Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I just bought the helmet files from Do3D.  You don't want them.  The proportions are really bad, and I don't understand why they laid out the parts they did in the file provided, but you cant easily slice out the bits to print separately without damaging other components or even the part you want they are so tightly packed.  I am working on my own design to get it as close to the Anovos pics, but wouldn't recommend the Do3D files if anybody wants a quality build.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am researching about this and came across with the DO3D files, after reading this thread I abandoned that idea due to that many inaccuracies you observed. I would love to have the one from Armory Shop but that one becomes too expensive for me.

I have found this other alternative from Nikko and those files are being model after the CRL. Is it possible to add this for evaluation and eventually add it to the list?

https://www.nikkoindustries.com/products/patrol-trooper-full-armor-for-cosplay

What do you guys think?

Patrol Trooper full Armor for Cosplay

On 5/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, MatuteX77 said:

Hey guys! I am researching about this and came across with the DO3D files, after reading this thread I abandoned that idea due to that many inaccuracies you observed. I would love to have the one from Armory Shop but that one becomes too expensive for me.

I have found this other alternative from Nikko and those files are being model after the CRL. Is it possible to add this for evaluation and eventually add it to the list?

https://www.nikkoindustries.com/products/patrol-trooper-full-armor-for-cosplay

What do you guys think?

Patrol Trooper full Armor for Cosplay

@MrPoopie -- thoughts?

20 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

@MrPoopie -- thoughts?

I have the Nikko files and I'm in the process of going over the details. It's more accurate than the Do3D files for sure as well as the Alain Ricard files. I'll post back here shortly when I have a more comprehensive answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

I have the Nikko files and I'm in the process of going over the details. It's more accurate than the Do3D files for sure as well as the Alain Ricard files. I'll post back here shortly when I have a more comprehensive answer. 

That's great! Thank you!

Basically I'll go through the models in 3D to make sure details, angles, proportions, etc. Line up with the CRL. Images are fine but with 3D models in hand I can take measurements as well as see things from all angles to make an assessment. It shouldn't take very long since I'm very familiar with the intricacies of this armor having modeled almost an entire set myself previously. 

8 minutes ago, MatuteX77 said:

What do you guys need to analyze accuracy? I have another set of files but only these images...but I guess it is not enough6203ae44d304f4a9539a6d92bea3b4e1.jpg38aba2e1bc5acff86933e9364666b8c6.jpg339d0fb32ae31945317e77c126060727.jpg

Sent from my motorola one vision using Tapatalk

Basically I'll go through the models in 3D to make sure details, angles, proportions, etc. Line up with the CRL. Images are fine but with 3D models in hand I can take measurements as well as see things from all angles to make an assessment. It shouldn't take very long since I'm very familiar with the intricacies of this armor having modeled almost an entire set myself previously. 

@MrPoopie: the Alain Ricard files you mentioned above are the same as the ald3d files? The guy who sent me these images claim those are way more accurate than Nikko's and that those files are from ald3d...

12 minutes ago, MatuteX77 said:

@MrPoopie: the Alain Ricard files you mentioned above are the same as the ald3d files? The guy who sent me these images claim those are way more accurate than Nikko's and that those files are from ald3d...

That's true. Doing a quick once over of NIkko's file there are many inaccuracy just like the Do#D files. The Alain Rivard files are the most accurate so far (besides Armory Shop) but there are still some small things wrong with the Rivard files. These aren't things that would keep you from getting approved at "Basic" level but they aren't perfect. The NIkko files have many things that would be close to approvable and would be up to the eyes making the approval. Small details add up when you're looking at a whole set of armor and one or two things will slide by and be fine but little things wrong with every piece of armor will get noticed. Honestly a mix of the Rivard files with the NIkko chest and Back and you'd be fine.  AT this stage you'll have to mix and match to get the best accuracy when it come sto 3D files.

*Not self promotion: I have a set that are very accurate but I haven't released them yet, there's still an issue with the chest armor that I'm not happy with but the rest is good to go. I plan on putting them out very soon, I just need t o finish up the Chest adjustment.

• Like 1

I'll put up a full breakdown of the Nikko files tomorrow (hopefully). It'll say which parts are wrong and which would still be acceptable even with inaccuracies. If I've got time I'll list the Rivard files as well. 

Cool, thanks for taking the time to check those out. I would like to make this one, but as I said before Armory Shop is too expensive for me. So I'm down to the 3D printing option, DO3D is out of the equation so far and I was aiming at Nikko's, but then this other guy told me that he may sell me the ald3d files that are better than Nikko's and made me think about it. I don't think I can afford buying both sets of files. Honestly I'm not sure how can I tell yours are going to be better either, so I'm not sure what to do yet. Do you have an estimated date for yours to be released?

Thank you again! I really appreciate your help.

If anyone has the Do3D files and can send them  to me I can make a more detailed comparison. Don't worry I won't pprint, share or reproduce them in any way, I just want them so I can load them up and compare.

2 hours ago, MatuteX77 said:

I also found this other set of files, but already seen inconsistencies in the chest and back plates

https://www.etsy.com/es/listing/787163907/patrol-trooper-wearable-armor-3d-model

Patrol Trooper Wearable Armor 3D Model STL image 0

I can tell you these would not be acceptable. There are many  inconsistencies and errors that wouldn't be worth fixing in post-print.

I can tell you these would not be acceptable. There are many  inconsistencies and errors that wouldn't be worth fixing in post-print.
Thank you!

So here's what I've seen with the Nikko files. I appreciate that he was aiming for a CRL approvalable set of models and wants to make things easier by including detail parts into the models for easier assembly. Doing this makes it more difficult to make a proper build though since strapping, buckles, etc need to be separate parts and made of specific materials for CRL standards. Overall these models are pretty accurate in the broad strokes and with some fixes would be approvable. He based his models on the CRL images. The problem with that is the CRL armor is not particularly accurate to begin with. Since the CRL was created we have many more accurate sources of material and a better idea of small parts and how things look now. Overall not a bad set of models but it would need a decent amount of extra work to make usable.

- Sides of ab triangle slightly off

-Cod lower angle not sharp enough

- Knee wing not sticking out

- Shin buckle style wrong, missing black oval

- Missing toe cover

- Ankle cover missing curve on top edge

- Left Forearm wrong overall shape on edges and details on top wrong, missing front oval in leading edge

- Right Forearm wrong overall shape on edges and details on top wrong, missing front oval in leading edge, "Black Ovals" should not be cut all the way through.

- Handplate missing oval on leading edge

- Shoulder one edge is curved instead of a sharp angle

- Front belt box has rounded cut-out instead of rectangle cut-out

- All belt boxes missing small channel underneath the tapered edge

- TD is wrong overall shape

- Chest has strapping built into models, oval is cut all the way through and should not be, buckle style is wrong

- Back is missing several "channel" detail on sides and top, strapping is built into model, recessed boxes are not deep enough and show incorrect details

- Helmet has many inaccuracies not worth listing them all. Honestly this part is probably the least accurate of them all

21 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

- Helmet has many inaccuracies not worth listing them all. Honestly this part is probably the least accurate of them all

Great analysis! The helmet is what I think people see the most, should be the most accurate part, so too bad it isn't.

1 minute ago, MatuteX77 said:

Great analysis! The helmet is what I think people see the most, should be the most accurate part, so too bad it isn't.

Agreed. The Rivard helmet is pretty accurate but suffers from the same issues as the ArmoryShop helmet. It gets the details right but the overall proportions and shape are bit to square and squished. Neither of these are to the point that they don't look good are unacceptable just not perfect.

• Like 1