TXBF's WIP/ Progress

TXBolt

which green did you use for the camo may I ask?

I used the Khaki, Olive, and Brown from this line of paint:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKOMVS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was really happy with it. It didn't run and clump up like a lot of the cheaper brands.

And thanks for the kind words on the technique. I was excited and nervous about giving it a go before the drip of paint hit. I'm a CPA... not a painter. LOL!

• Like 1

Did you spray it on the sponge and then sponge it onto the armour, or spray onto the armour and then dab it with the sponge?

In my case I sprayed it on the sponge...

Did you spray it on the sponge and then sponge it onto the armour, or spray onto the armour and then dab it with the sponge?

Like Ferra... I sprayed it on the sponge. It gave me more control

• Like 1

This morning I took a few hours to retouch the camo with more green, painted a bunch of the misc parts needing black, and started pulling off some glue to 'reveal' the metal underneath. note... the glue did pull off some silver to reveal the white underneath, but its nothing I can't touch up with a brush later.

here are a few pics:

IMG_2219_zpshi7kvqdy.jpg

IMG_2221_zpsnyeiteyr.jpg

IMG_2218_zpsm7xyxgqp.jpg

I'll admit... I'm currently not in love with the silver. Especially with my intended blast mark on the shoulder piece. I'll have to figure out how to touch that up.

Also... the black gun you see in the background is to give me something for Halloween and not intended to be my 501st weapon. :)

Today was a day of randomness.

I chipped away at the following:

- pulling the glue off to reveal the metal on all pieces (dang that took awhile)

- painting and assembling misc parts (greebs on helmet, doo-hickies for arms, etc)

- putting on velcro for chest and back piece fit

- working out sizing on leg armor and padding to include

- testing out painting of 'dirt' on toe armor

- still trying to figure out how to install the SHOC visor (I think I have to cut it down to fit... ugh)

- starting to insert pads into shoulder pieces (hot glue doesn't work... needed a combo of gorilla glue gel and regular super glue)

- realizing I still am missing some items and had to hit Amazon for more stuff :)

Here are some random pics from today:

IMG_2237_zpsker6hoo1.jpg

IMG_2238_zpsnzubq1o1.jpg

IMG_2240_zps4kgfmbez.jpg

IMG_2241_zpsiwllv6ry.jpg

IMG_2242_zpseobklw8m.jpg

IMG_2247_zpsyl0cxm5r.jpg

• Like 1

This is coming along very nicely... My box shld arrive soon cant wait to start as well!! This is going to be a good reference for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was the big reveal of my "Halloween Ready" version of the costume. It's not 501st ready, but I'm just going to enjoy this milestone and relax for a bit before pushing things to the finish line.

The reveal time and place? A official city Ribbon Cutting for my business during our office Halloween Party. LOL!

SMD%20Ribbon%20Cutting%207_zpshqqpzzqy.jpg

SMD%20Consulting%20amp%20Accounting%20Frisco%201_zps3ah8nnws.jpg

SMD%20Ribbon%20Cutting%205_zpswr1c7opp.jpg

SMD%20Ribbon%20Cutting%206_zpsvbucr0ni.jpg

Kashyyyk%20Chamber%203_zpsrdggqojt.jpg

Sean%20Chamber%20Ribbon%20Cutting_zpscblugavy.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

While on a little break from my build (holidays, weather, travel, etc), I just thought I'd pop in and just say that it was great to see the 501st represented at the Dallas Mavericks game last night.

One of my kiddos was with me and really liked meeting y'all. He had a whole new appreciation for the gear and the effort each person had to put into things. He even asked, "Daddy... did everyone one of those people have to spend as much time as you have to make those costumes?" "Yes... yes they did. Probably more because I'm not done yet."

It was great inspiration to see the great work you guys have done on your gear.

IMG_2626_zps4hz0722h.jpg

• 9 months later...

Wow.... time flies when I'm being a slacker. :P So real life kicked in, and it has been about 10-11 months since I have touched this project. (note... if I screw up my image posting, please bear with me. It has been a year since I messed with photobucket too. :) ) However, I'm back on track, and here are some updates for you.

Let's start with the Cummerbund:

Since it was originally made, I have dropped about 25+ pounds. As you might imagine, that jacked up all the dimensions. I had to reshape all the ammo pouches to fit my new waistline.

I found that the magic of cardboard and duct tape were the easiest way of getting the job done.

IMG_5516_zpskvoasqsm.jpg

Also, by using the cardboard, I was able to make useful pouches as opposed to just cosmetic features stuck to the cummerbund. Now I have a plan for where I'll carry my keys and cell phone. LOL!

After making a bunch of boxes, I got it all reshaped:

cummerbund_zps0ijboyfu.jpg

Hanging Pouches

cummerbund2_zpsonzlrk7u.jpg

Next up... misc details that I didn't quite get around to last year.

Up until this point, I didn't have the hanging pouches, so I did the same thing and whipped out the cardboard and duct tape.

IMG_5514_zps1py6au9v.jpg

IMG_5515_zpsw7fbegkf.jpg

Then I just took some fabric and wrapped the cardboard and slapped on the paint:

IMG_5540_zpsvtc3x1cf.jpg

IMG_5595_zps4gd0dp4l.jpg

On the belt, I followed the lead of other experts here on the boards and used a masking technique to spray paint in the black:

IMG_5542_zpswrdj4kfu.jpg

IMG_5543_zpsiszojy9c.jpg

For any overrun/ overspray, I just used a sharp knife and scraped off the excess:

IMG_5545_zpsusasf6we.jpg

IMG_5546_zpsfwbe80sb.jpg

For the buckle, I just hit it with some primer, silver, and then dusted it with black to give it the right color tone:

IMG_5548_zpsv1niqvrp.jpg

I cut some leather straps to start the process of hanging the pouches (e6000 to fold over and glue the straps together):

IMG_5598_zpsixtvo2dr.jpg

At the moment... I'm a little stuck on how the heck I'm going to secure the buckle to the belt. E6000 didn't hold, so I will have to research what to do next on that.

While I work to figure out how to get that belt unit all together, I needed to finish out my shins with the straps and buckles.

Using a length of canvas belt dusted with black and brown to darken/ dirty it up a bit was all that I needed. From there E6000 gluing magic to save the day!

IMG_5596_zps6ddmshyf.jpg

IMG_5597_zpscssycz3z.jpg

I hope this helps some of y'all.

More updates as I bring this badboy to the finish line.

• Like 1

Love how its come out bro! What about the fit to the legs is it good? Can you easily put on the boots?

On the belt, I followed the lead of other experts here on the boards and used a masking technique to spray paint in the black:

For any overrun/ overspray, I just used a sharp knife and scraped off the excess:

For the buckle, I just hit it with some primer, silver, and then dusted it with black to give it the right color tone:

I cut some leather straps to start the process of hanging the pouches (e6000 to fold over and glue the straps together):

IMG_5598_zpsixtvo2dr.jpg

At the moment... I'm a little stuck on how the heck I'm going to secure the buckle to the belt. E6000 didn't hold, so I will have to research what to do next on that.

I got you covered bro, this is what you need: packshot_PFlex_Gold_Edition_349659_web_425H_425W.jpg

Its super glue with rubber. Also what I used for the silicon straps that go around the arm plates ;)

Love how its come out bro! What about the fit to the legs is it good? Can you easily put on the boots?

Thanks for the compliment!

The legs are a bit large so I have to pad them to hold them secure, but if I go smaller, my gigantic feet won't slide in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK.... I THINK I'm done! (gun coming, but I'm not worried about that)

Please take a look and let me know... should I submit these pics, or is there something I need to change before submission?

THANK YOU to everyone for all your help. It has been a 2 year long process to get this point (I'm estimating about 100+ hours in this thing).

Pre%20Approval%20-%20Front_zpsmdb12qg7.jpg

Pre%20Approval%20-%20Side%202_zpsuw2wtcrc.jpg

Pre%20Approval%20-%20Side%201_zpsur6lz5pw.jpg

Pre%20Approval%20-%20Back_zpsqi1n5crd.jpg

From what I can see (on the phone) my recommendations would be:

- raise the elbows up higher so they're basically against/immediately under the biceps

- pull the toe armour back further on the boot to try and cover the top of the boot

- missing the straps on the back of the knee armour

- shoulder bells upside down?

- maybe bigger o-rings on the toe armour

- maybe shorten the straps on the drop pouches to raise them up a bit

- dunno if being able to see the balaclava is an issue

- weather the shin straps and cummerbund, but that's personal preference

Otherwise, I like the cam and armour weathering you've done and the pouches look great. Good job mate.

• Like 1

From what I can see (on the phone) my recommendations would be:

- raise the elbows up higher so they're basically against/immediately under the biceps

- pull the toe armour back further on the boot to try and cover the top of the boot

- missing the straps on the back of the knee armour

- shoulder bells upside down?

- maybe bigger o-rings on the toe armour

- maybe shorten the straps on the drop pouches to raise them up a bit

- dunno if being able to see the balaclava is an issue

- weather the shin straps and cummerbund, but that's personal preference

Otherwise, I like the cam and armour weathering you've done and the pouches look great. Good job mate.

Thank you for the feedback!! I love the suggestions. I'll get on tightening things up.

• 3 weeks later...

stripe on the back of the tank. I think your hanging pouches are fine. Looks like you feet are so large the toe caps don't fit too well. If you need to you can add plastic to the end to lengthen them (bondo and then repaint them) but I would wait to see if you get approval before hacking into them.

Kit looks pretty good

I would also like to see a boot closeup. Any chance you could d it with a white wall on the back and no grass on the ground?

I´m loving your kit and its pretty close to finished, we will get to deployed shortly brother!!!