Rebels - Biker Scout General Discussion

Retrofire

18 hours ago, MCpeepants130 said:

On a Rebel Scout kit what is the better way to hide the seam on the helmet?

ABS slurry or bondo?

Did you try bathroom caulk?

I would go with bondo as it tends to be really consistent and easier to work with than ABS slurry. It also sands very smooth and produces a nice finished surface for paint.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PropReplicator2 said:

Just out of curiosity, would we not use black thread to sew in the lines on the cummerbund? It appears in the show that the lines are black, but of course that could be their way of simulating the shading in the lines on the bund. Just wondering? 

It's hard to tell if the lines are black, a darker shade of grey, or that it's just shading applied. Even a solid black line will not appear totally black because of anti-aliasing. The CRL doesn't mention a color so I think both grey and black are fine.

I think we also have to consider the intended purpose of a line in the animated version. For example there are black lines on the knee armor and forearm pieces, but these are translated to mould lines in the real world costume.

• Like 1

Since we are discussing lines something in the CRL confuses me:

• The front belt boxes have a vertical grey pinstripe detail with a horizontal grey notch detail
  • The rear two boxes have a grey detail line around their perimeter

In the animated version there are darker lines visible on the belt boxes. But in the WTF version and the CRL pictures these are mould lines and not painted. Only the horizontal grey notch is painted grey. Since other armor parts also don't have black/grey lines, but have mould lines instead, I think the CRL wording is incorrect.

LYcHgna.png

5 minutes ago, ScaryGuy said:

Since we are discussing lines something in the CRL confuses me:

• The front belt boxes have a vertical grey pinstripe detail with a horizontal grey notch detail
  • The rear two boxes have a grey detail line around their perimeter

In the animated version there are darker lines visible on the belt boxes. But in the WTF version and the CRL pictures these are mould lines and not painted. Only the horizontal grey notch is painted grey. Since other armor parts also don't have black/grey lines, but have mould lines instead, I think the CRL wording is incorrect.

LYcHgna.png

Was just wondering this as well.. I would figure the mould lines should be painted grey or grey pinstripe decals should be layed in the grooves to simulate paint. 

3 minutes ago, PropReplicator2 said:

Was just wondering this as well.. I would figure the mould lines should be painted grey or grey pinstripe decals should be layed in the grooves to simulate paint. 

But if we have to paint these, then why not the grooves on the knee armor, forearms, around the helmet lens, etc? That doesn't makes sense to me. Either the armor is totally flat and everything is drawn with pin stripes, or there are grooves, but not both. Apparently the choice has been made for grooves, so why not the belt boxes? The CRL model doesn't have them and it's approved, so I guess that's the way to go.

7 minutes ago, ScaryGuy said:

But if we have to paint these, then why not the grooves on the knee armor, forearms, around the helmet lens, etc? That doesn't makes sense to me. Either the armor is totally flat and everything is drawn with pin stripes, or there are grooves, but not both. Apparently the choice has been made for grooves, so why not the belt boxes? The CRL model doesn't have them and it's approved, so I guess that's the way to go.

Don’t forget the CRL will most likely change over time as more details/preferences are found. Mold lines will be on my armor,  but I really like the idea of painting the details instead of blank grooves. I think the grey holds truer to what is seen on screen