So it begins, Bselph Build

bselphfsu282

Hello to all. I just received my BC armor and bucket kit, and I currently have the traditional overwhelmed feeling that I get before I get started on any project! If course, I have hundreds of questions, most have been answered by the research I have done in this site, but some are still lingering!

I have never built a kit out of HIPS before, and nothing of this thickness, so what I the best way to trim the armor? Score and snap method still work, or will I need to go to a dremel? Also, I have not dealt with a resin bucket before, so what would be the best tool for it as well?

Second, the tank.... Looks to be many hours of aggravation! Can anyone tell me how thick the tank should be? From the back plate to the edge of the top of the tank and where the greeblie should sit? It looks like there should be about an inch boarder from the edge of the tank and the greeblie. I believe I am going to cut a small hole in the back plate and rivet the tank on once it has been cut out. What is the best way to attach and measure the curve of the back plate?

For the shoulders, I see a strap to go around your arm, but is there also a strap connecting to the should strap to keep it in place?

Next, why is the purpose of filling in the underside of the visor? I know there is a "wonk" factor, but is it necessary to fill it is? I don't want to create anymore weight than I have too! Also, what color are you guys painting the inside of the helmet? Black like a TK/TD?

Finally, for the biceps and the shins. I'm pretty comfortable with the process if joining and bondo, but there are no designated right and left side to the parts. There are two smaller bicep parts and two larger bicep parts, one with the greeblie grooves. Are the small parts interchangeable with the big parts or is there a specific small part that goes with the large with the groove and a specific one that goes with the one without? Same question for the shins! They look exactly the same as in the backs look the same and so do the fronts.

Sorry to bombard with questions! Getting started this weekend, after a trip to lowes tonight for some bondo, tape, and files. Thanks!

There are only 2 biceps. 2 forearm. 2 shoulder bells, and 2 knees. No shins. Resin helmet? Most quality scout kits are abs not hips. Do me a favor. Post up pics of your kit so we can get a good look at it. You shouldn't be having probs like this. The scout should be a pretty straight up simple build. Also, put a link in your profile to your legion profile so we can get you 501st access here.

There are only 2 biceps. 2 forearm. 2 shoulder bells, and 2 knees. No shins. Resin helmet? Most quality scout kits are abs not hips. Do me a favor. Post up pics of your kit so we can get a good look at it. You shouldn't be having probs like this. The scout should be a pretty straight up simple build. Also, put a link in your profile to your legion profile so we can get you 501st access here.

C'mon, Mike...pssst...*whispers*..."it's a kashyyyk trooper build..." ;)

Hey Brent,

I can only be brief right now. So, I can address just a few things.

The visor....there is nothing saying that you have to do any filling to it. Nobody looks under the visor and makes any comments about it. That's all up to you.

I just sanded and smoothed it down as best as I could. It's not that important. Just a good sanding and if it feels good under your fingers...then there you go.

No need to add extra weight. The build is up to you on certain things.

Shins are the same ...just a front and the back. They are identical.

Bicep pieces... The backs are the same. For your left bicep, it will be the smooth front. For your right bicep, you will have the piece with the two bumps on the outside. One of the specific bicep greeblies will fit in between those two humps.

Use a dremmel to trim. And for the bucket, as well.

I painted the inside of the helmet black, after everything was done. For me, it was easier to use a brush and paint the inside of the helmet by hand. So, you wont get and overspray from a can.

For the shoulder bells, I have a strap that connects the top of the bell to the front chest plate and the back/tank plate. Those are connected and then a strap come from that to the shoulder bell. You'll see as you progress. More on that later.

I'll get back with you later, if you have anymore questions. (I'm sure that you will.)

You'll have plenty of help here. With us experienced Kashyyyk Troopers, as well as those that are currently in the middle of their builds, we should be able to advise you on what to do and what not to do.

Cheers! B)

And be sure to check the other build threads. There are plenty of them. You might even go back a page or two and check the older builds to help you.

Discs bad. Drums good. If you have a high speed cutter bit use it, if not slowly work a drill bit through the resin of the windshield (eyepiece) stay 1/4" away from anything you don't want chewed. Then get closer with a sanding drum, then finish with hand sanding and small files.

• Like 2

Score and snap works perfect for the armor.

For the visor I used a dremel with drill bit to drill and outline then switched to a cutter bit to cutout the visor. I smoothed it out with the sanding drum and finished with a sanding sponge.

Got a little done this weekend after all of your helpful tips. I drilled and then used the cutter bit with the flex shaft to cut the big parts. I then sanded by hand, with small files, and with the drum. My question is, how was the side vent? Did I get too close to the edge? On the eye portion, on the left there was excess resin built up, so I'm going to hand to sand a bit to give it a lip for the lens to sit behind. There was also a pretty good size seam around the thing, so I need to get that sanded over and probably some bondo to smooth out. I trimmed two pieces so far and I think the score and snap method is working best for me. I tried my RC scissors, which were fantastic on ABS, but big fail on this thick HIPS. Please let me know how it looks this far! Thanks again for all the help!

post-74794-0-42065400-1366590274_thumb.jpg

post-74794-0-03068400-1366590283_thumb.jpg

I think you are looking good. I have not looked into the side vents for my bucket yet so I can't really comment on those. I had the same resin build up on one side. Rather than sand forever or burn up the tip of my sanding drum I took my files that look much like yours and held it close to the working end, used a pointy one to v out a gouge the right depth to form the edge that the windshield will sit on. Then gouged with a flat file till I had the flat lip. Resin will give way to steel. I just jammed my hand in the big opening and gouged away. Keep at it brother- you're on the right path I think.

I see your nose points in the same direction as mine. The rubber has side slipped in the fibreglass mother mold a bit and that's how they are coming out. When it's all painted up it shouldn't be noticeable. Major major surgery to set that exactly right I'm afraid.

Can anyone tell me how thick the tank should be? I plan on using a contour gauge to determine the angle to make the cuts, but I do not know how thick it should actually be. According to the screen grabs, it looks to have an inch or so from the edge to the greeblie an then from the greeblie to the back plate. Does this sound about right?

If it can wait till tonight or tomorrow ill send some exact measurements of mine. Pm to remind me. Im at a buddies place painting it for new tennants till late.

Hey man looking good, I actualy added quit a bit of bondo to the right side of my bucket to get the shape right, also I used a heat gun and got the face pretty much perfect...

Go check out my WIP and you can look at the photos there insted of me invading your thread.

I used my dremmel and cut into the inside of the helmet around the visor so I can set the visor screen in place. Doing the same for the ear piece to add the screens in as well.

Lots of people to ask on here when you have questions or problems, I know a few of the guys hear from me every ther day with more... Very friendly & informative bunch of guys on here for sure.

Maybe it is just my kit, but how is everyone attaching the tank greeb? There is no indention where it should actually go and the HIPS is not thick enough the sand in to create and indention and still have anything under to support the greeb. I was thinking of cutting an then putting a plate of ABS under for support. Has anyone else run across this?

Maybe it is just my kit, but how is everyone attaching the tank greeb? There is no indention where it should actually go and the HIPS is not thick enough the sand in to create and indention and still have anything under to support the greeb. I was thinking of cutting an then putting a plate of ABS under for support. Has anyone else run across this?

That might be the way to go. I think it's supposed to be flush with the tank. (I think)

The Mr.Bungle style had a indentation and the tank greeb sat inside.

But, this is not that style. :rolleyes:

The support plate would be a good idea. That way you would create your own indentation to hold the greeb.

I didnt know the tank greeb was supposed to be a flush mount!? tanks guys! As requested Bro here are your

pics. sorry it took a while. You will notice that on the bottom to the left and right of centre the tank gets trimmed in

a bit. I didnt measure here cause theres no good reference point to measure from. I hope these help. You will find a

contour guage helpful for the top and sides but not for the bottom. If you had one of those flexible rubber strip type ones

you could match it all up perfect. this should help you get pretty close to the point where a bit of epoxy or other firm

filler should do the rest.

IMG_0032_zpsad49a387.jpg

IMG_0031_zps1a3e44a2.jpg

IMG_0030_zps2c045629.jpg

I actually had to cut my indentation out because it was too shallow to hold the greeb and have it flush. Bondo and support plates won the day for me.

Awesome pictures! That is exactly what I'm looking for! I should have asked this before, but those little ridges on the back plate, do they indicate how wide (in a perfect world) and how tall it should sit?

Roughly how wide yes. You will have to play with it a bit to get it all in a position you will be happy with. As for how tall, the reference point will be the bottom of the back plate. Iook at the screen grabs from behind. I think the tank ends just a hair above the bottom of the back plate.