CAMO PATTERN - discussion for CRL

ok thats 1 opinion

I think there is some sort of shiny metallic thing under the armour paint job - is it chrome or chrome-like material not so sure, I'd like to think so as it matches up with Gree's armour. The Cmdr Gree CRL describes that metallic stuff as chrome as well - but lets look at that scene again; the so called "Hero" seen ie just before attempting to kill Yoda. Which is really the only on screen shot of the metallic stuff

pdvd_027.jpg

there is some metallic stuff there. Chrome or not - I can be convinced either way. while I would like to be consistent with the Gree CRL, its not overly convincing on screen grabs.

In terms of 3D renders - its seen all over the place, but again, non distinct

so 2 questions:

(1) is there a metallic undercoat of not - my answer is yes

(2) is it chrome? - in so much as it matches the metallic stuff on gree, and the gree metallic stuff is called chrome; then yes

any other opinions?

No not in his entire armour.

BUT, it does state in the CRL about chrome on his "face, nose and dome are chrome" hence the picture above where u have gree helmet and the hero trooper with that metallic bit on his shoulder to compare to. Looking at the profile of the gree helmet, the whole chin area, the face and that grey area on the dome don't appear very shiny to me either. But those are the ares described as chrome on the gree CRL.

Also on the gree CRL, the shoulder bells and the biceps have a base of chrome.

So the same questions apply

(1) is there a metallic undercoat of not - my answer is yes

(2) is it chrome? - in so much as it matches the metallic stuff on gree, and the gree metallic stuff is called chrome; then yes. However happy to compromise to silver or chrome?

Perhaps a third question

(3) the metal colour showing through is definite on the 3d renders, limited on screen grabs (hero scene, back shot of the trooper on beach storming scene). Should this detail then be only on level 2? Personally I think it should be on both level 1 and 2.

Nate

BR screen grabs showing metallic show through

chrome01_zps8eea4653.jpg

chrome02_zps6de14cb8.jpg

3D render showing chrome or "shiny metal" if you prefer (I am sure there are more, btu thats all I have in my PC at the moment)

Kashyyk_Trooper_02_zps7d01a894.jpg

please remember as well - when we say chrome, we dont mean shiny untouch metal that has to be shined before trooping. I used chrome in mine. Then it was acrylic washed, and then misted with rattle can black. Here is my 'shiny metal' part at the back of my back tank

DSCF6402.jpg

there is no doubt in my mind that there is a metallic undercoat.

as apparently we dont care what the actual item was in the 3D render, but by going by seconds worth of screen time on blurry shots which look like they were hurried bashed together - then I would say the majority of shots (ie outside of the Hero scene and the Beach Assault scene) show NO undercoat (actually you see very poor detail of the whole costume)

Compromise position:

Level I - metallic undercoat; silver or chrome. We can make it optional as its not seen in ALL screen shots, but that would interpretating things on the letter of the law, rather than the spirit.

Level II - must have chrome undercoat

What I would like to see - and this is only MY opinion - is Chrome undercoat on BOTH the Level I and II paint jobs. But I am only one voice.

more opinions welcomed guys, we cant make this on 2 opinions only!

To, me, it's not scraping the whole paint job. It should be an option to have the grey/chrome undercoat or no undercoat at all, for basic level. Nothing more than that. You could have it as an added detail or not. it's only going to be mixed in with the camo anyway. Level II...yes.

Also under coat doesn't mean you have to scrap the paint job. 2 ways of doing this effect, you have layered, where you do start a a metal base. You mask off areas as you add the additional layers on top. Or topical, which is a matter of adding it on the top AFTER you have completed your paint job. Its often done as part of the weathering process.The technique is often called dry brushing. It created a lovely effect.

ok here is the proposal for changes in the CRL

Level I - metallic undercoat; silver or chrome recommended. Amount is dependent on individual troopers from none-at-all to heavily weathered is acceptable.

Level II - must have chrome undercoat

The variable amount will then cover both people who want none to those you want it more weathered.

Acceptable?

Acceptable!

Comments from the rest of the peanut gallery?

As I see it, both levels should require the undercoating.

It's seen in the movie, and it's seen in the 3D renders... I don't see how there is another interpretation here.

But this is only my opinion.

Good man :) I thought I was the only one seeing that????

The argument being that there are really only two scenes in which we get good enough shots of the trooper to see details.. So technically, you can argue that in some.scenes.you don't see it.

This is the reason why its difficult tho do crls for clones based purely on screen seen shots. The 3d render should be the definitive evidence cos that is how the costume should have looked like without being altered by lighting, or shading or artist hastiness. It's the equivalent of having the actual.screen used prop in hand as reference. Instead we use the.hazy shots from only a few angles from a costume which is only seen for a few minutes on the screen.

ok re-proposal

Level I - metallic undercoat; silver or chrome recommended. Amount is dependent on individual troopers.

Level II - must have chrome undercoat, must be weathered

removing the statement "from none-at-all to heavily weathered is acceptable." With the amount not being stipulated you could go from a tiny fleck of metal undercoat showing through under your armpit to more weathering like on mine. technically also there could have been completely clean and new kashyyyk troopers who had no weathering? (of course, then you could argue for white boots as well - but lets not go there :D)