shoes - white or tan?

it doesnt really matter about logic of what the colour is what it is.

to be honest - with all the supposed technology in the helmets and the fact that they are fighting droids - would camouflage be of any use anyways? lets expand this to wider Clone Army - none of them bother to camouflage or colour co-ordinate? Its camo cos the artist thought it was cool :D

Purely from the colour point of view though - on screen the boots look bleached out or off white. 3D render IS white. If you want to use logic, then it dictates that its a weathered white. But I digress.

anyway - the question at the start of this thread is wrong isnt it? the original question was "white or tan" - the answer? NEITHER!!!

thanks to DR for BR screen grab - again its this pic

KST-1-CamoPatternGlovesBootsBackPouches_zpsed9e216a.png

there no way that is tan. compare it to the sand. no way is it pure white either. light tan, faded tan, tan boots misted with white, white boots misted with sand, biege. Argue how you like, buts its neither of the 2 pure colours. It needs to look faded or bleached out. Is the compromise proposal of "off white or light tan body with tan soles." OK with everyone then?

Nate

Sounds Ok to me. But I would list it this way... "Light Tan" or Off White. So that we emphasize more on the Tan more than the white. I just wanted ROTS on Blu-ray a few days ago and I just do not see any white. Looks tan to me but to be neutral I'd bend and add Off White.

Kevin W.

I think we are trying too define in words a colour which is atypical hence the problem.I take point point Kevin. But like I said above, it's really neither. Maybe we need a.new descriptor? Sand coloured? Canvas? Magnolia?

Maybe a colour chart, with tan on one end and white on the other, I'll post up when I get home. However, I agree, based on screen grabs it's not white, but then again, the original crl decision was not based on the screen grab.

Nate

ok this is my problem with calling it tan (this is about colour as well, no the shape fo the following boots); most people think of tan boots as this

A4150_lg_zpsef100504.jpg

31365499_700x700min_1_zps8075795d.jpg

which in my opinion is too much to the brown side of tan

but these are also classified as tan as well; and is much better colour compared to screen used light tan?

desert-tan-military-surplus-boots_zps316de866.jpg

mil-com-desert-boots-478-p_zps1de14c11.jpg

to do away with the tan versus white argument, as I know there are proponents on both sides of the argument, I propose we change the colour term to BIEGE or SANDY? Just look it up on google as "Biege Desert MIlitary Boot" Here are some examples

CBeP3MCWkKGrHqMOKj0EzlMlwGjYBNH3yflrC0_35_zps5917f331.jpg

We agree its not white and it isnt tan, but a light tan?? So if we change the description, it means all can come away from the argument without loosing face. It also indicates that the shoe is a lighter shade rather than straight forward tan, and that it isnt pure white (as per 3D renders?). Win Win I think guys???

so new CRL would say

• Soles have SIMILIAR curved shape in between the heel and sole
  • Main body of boot is beige/sandy coloured
  • Khaki or tan soles.

Nate

• 2 months later...

To be honest I think the reason the boots look white is because of the conditions they were fighting in. When I served in Iraq my tan desert boots were almost white once they spend a month in theatre. The sandy conditions has that effect and the one fighting scene on Kashyyyk (although not a desert) is a beach. Thats why you can't tell if its white or tan, its a weathered tan thats turned the leather lighter

• 2 weeks later...

lol adie - I would agree

if anything, I kinda think its the other way round. 3D render is what they would look like with out layers of lighting effects for the on screen look. On screen variants - well, the animators did it to make the movie look good, not for prop makers or costumers.

also I think because of the intense agruments on colour here - so many people have "too much to lose" as it were

after all - its about the overall look

hence the invention of the loose term - "biege" in the new CRL. So all can leave the debating floor without losing face :D

• 2 months later...

That second pic just looks white because of lighting (in my opinion)

The boots look tan to me through an through, it would make more sense seeing as the base colour for nearly everything on the Kashyyyk Trooper is tan.

But if we are going to say white then I'd have to say an off white with hard weathering.

I have tan boots I wore on tour and they look nearly white from weathering and use.

Once I'm able to post pics again I will post the picks for everyone to see what I mean

Totally new here,so sorry if my opinion looks ignorant :)

i've checked that screens and it seems most wchich was one on open areas looks white/light grey,while in shadowy places like

in "hero" scene they looks more tan,i know we go for as movie accurate as possible,but what would be idea for trooper wearing all camo suit to use white boots...?kinda surreal

you could just as well ask - why would they be wearing tan in a jungle?

the question isnt the logic of the situation, the question is what is seen on screen and on the 3D renders.

but I agree with your observations mate. Its inconsistent on screen. Very consistent on the 3D renders.

so we have gone with a compromise :D

20130831_105717_zps108aaf23.jpg

I can assure you - my boots are white - but with suitable weathering - its looks "biege' anyways

Nate

• 1 year later...

Hi, Giovanni here, I am in process of finish 22 pairs of Jango/ GM and Kashyyyk boots, I want to know if the off white is an accepted color to paint the soles? the fabric and leather portions are white and looking the 3d renders definitevly is not white and is not tan, looks like a white rubber sole that stayed under the sun many many hours and the sun changes the rubber pigments from white to off white.

Gio

If you ask me - it is neither tan nor white.

It looks like a light tan with some grey in it - a warm grey if you want to call it like that.

I once made this mock up

kenneth.jpg

My theory is that GMs and KTs use the same boot base. All clones started out in white by design but altered it to their needs or liking (something I detest considering these are the foundary of the uniform imperial forces).

The GMs have several items of their gear being of such a "warm grey-light-tan" whatever you want to call it as well as their boot sole. There is no real gray or blue-gray as we're used to from the imperial era and the first generation of Gio's boots do feature.

The screenshots of the Kashyyyk encounter also look to me like this tone in between the colour two color tones. You may also say a bleached tan towards some of the more grayish khaki tones.

It can't be worn of white or faded gray - it is too distinctive for that and too solid in coating.

If it had been like that you would see very different areas as dirt and the different exposure to the elements can't result in such a consistent pattern.

While the designers chose to leave the GM boots to be white those of the KT's got the camouflage on their boots. The soles however look identical.

Of course it might be lighting - especially in the GM scene we have obscure lighting with a lot of yellow coming from blaster fire and explosions as well as the atmosphere or just the temporary conditions during the battle. But looking at the CGI renders and concept drawings I see this thesis verified.

I can upload the references but I think most of us already know these by heart.

I agree that the SW costume designers started from a standard Kenneth Cole Pitt Crew boots as base for, sadly we have screencaps and more pics that must to be filtered, photoshoped, color that changes on lights condition and types, is really hard to find the true KT sole color

There are many criteries about the right color, may be more wise to send the soles as they came out from molds, this is black, so, each final user will paint the soles as his/her CRL interpretation.

Looking from that perpspective it would be more logical to have them white as opposite to stormtroopers and Jango Fett clones have started out white soles - all of them if I recall correctly - except for the discussed versions with the Jango soles.

But....as I said - the colors look too uniform in their coating to be only affected by lighting and environmental influences.

Also their white boot legs would be affected by the same effect.

Which they don't - we see it very clearly in example of the Marines.

In the classic trilogies they used certain camera filters - for example even on endor some blueish which affected the colors as well.

This is recognizable looking at helmets of the AT-ST walkers as the tone is slightly different than on behind the scenes shots.

In cases of doubt the on-screen references are favoured - at least in the 501st.

That is why most imperial AT-AT and rebel navy helmets and armor parts are white though there are hints they were actuially of a pale gray.

In my opinion the boot soles of the KT and GM are of a light tan and it is absolutely plausible in the references at hand.

There is a theory though that people have a different perception of colors and the tests prior to elementary school resulted in a slight gray-red defeciency for me. I don't know if that result is justified due to younger kids not being aware of the color scales but the main tones but it might affect how I see colors while others may see it completely different.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and if you think it is like that and someone else is not and the proofs given are not convincing for you as well as a missing majority to support the antithesis then you're good to go by your own judgement. :)

Basically every new Kashyyyk must to use the CRL, if the color soles was, is and will be matter of discussion is other issue, I think I will send the soles in white as a color base, so, will be easy to anyone apply the color that the CRL demands.

The CRL states....guess what

crlkt.jpg

But I see CRLs as a two-edged sword anyways....

It is made by people - and people often do mistakes. So far I never used CRL but still did the costume justice.

Actually I always go beyond CRL. Just use your screen reference and you're good to go.

A few weeks ago I comissioned Juno Eclipse boot changes to be made on equestrian boots (something ideally fit to be taken up by you btw.) that surpassed anything those CRL-Junkies ever found out about their own costume though clearly visible or didn't dare to take the challenge.

I'd go with a bright khaki which is according to the rules and screen accurate if you meet the tone seen on screen.

And what is on screen is always correct!

The CRL states....guess what

crlkt.jpg

I'd go with a bright khaki which is according to the rules and screen accurate if you meet the tone seen on screen.

And what is on screen is always correct!

LOL, this journey is good cause the final color is coming out slowly, first tought black then white and now will be the color I see in the CRL I just will name it CRL COLOR and its over to me the color opinion.

The Juno boots must to be as the Hand solo, a flat O shape in the boot mouth, Phil I am sending you a PM asking info for Juno parts.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Those would work, Scott. Just take a dremmel to make the small arches and up as high as you can for the large arch, without cutting into the boot itself. (And they will stay tan...with some heavy weathering.)

"Beige"..."tan"...yeah...sounds good. ;)

If you want to add a similar color to the boot to make it a darker color tannish-beige, that's up to you.

When the boot (toe) topper is on and the shin slides down into place, there will only be the bottom part of the boot and the sole showing, so weathering will cover up some of that last part anyway.

• 2 months later...

"Beige"..."tan"...yeah...sounds good. ;)

If you want to add a similar color to the boot to make it a darker color tannish-beige, that's up to you.

When the boot (toe) topper is on and the shin slides down into place, there will only be the bottom part of the boot and the sole showing, so weathering will cover up some of that last part anyway.

When I picked up my kit our local garrison commander already purchased tan/beige-ish combat boots for the kit. Is that good enough to go off of?

Yeah, check some of the DYI here and most of the guys will have used Tan boots(combat boots or otherwise)..