EFX to make a Biker Scout helmet from the original molds

lonewolf

It may be a sacrifice to the material used maintaining stability.

It is a bummer indeed but still the helmet will serve as a good reference for a new generation of fan made helmets.

The Legend Edition doesn't seem to have this annyoing spot. It is also made from ABS or simolar material like the originals. It doesn't seem to be constructed like theboriginals though as I couldn't spot the sheet of plastic supporting the connection of the visor halves.

• Like 1

I don't think so Philipp.

I've worked with GRP for many years and whilst it can 'move' and shrink, it's generally quite stable and does come out as the mould is.

You say the legend edition doesn't have this annoying spot... I disagree.

Take a look here!

http://www.efxcollec...ll-payment.aspx

I can't pull the pictures to highlight, but I can still see it. That corner on the faceplate is flared outwards ever so slightly as you can see from the front shot.

You can also see the join mismatch between the faceplate and the main bucket. The gap is much wider at the top where it meets the shroud. And on the right hand side, the line from the bottom of the faceplate to the bucket seems out too.

You can also see that the Legend is also made from GRP (you can see the weave marks on the inside of the shroud where they've used Chopped Strand Matt.

So it would appear as though they're taken from the same moulds as the standard one.

And if this IS a moulding flaw then they're all likely to have this, which doesn't bode well in something so expensive.

But it would appear they've pretty much all sold out, so EFx will be happy. I just hope the recipients are too.

• Like 1

Well if the helmet is not made of ABS they would lie to the customer which I doubt:

from their page:

Our new officially licensed, Legend Edition (Biker) Scout Trooper Helmet will be the most accurate reproduction of this incredible helmet produced to date. As with all of our Legend Edition Prop Replicas, the master molds were made from the original master tools ILM used to make the screen-used helmets. There was no digital scanning or 3D modeling used, only original parts and tooling. We even used an original decal sheet from ILM to make our markings and symbols that are seen on the helmet!

This EFX Legend Edition helmet is made in ABS, just like the original screen-used helmets.

The legend edition however was announced to be made of fiberglas, metal and plastic parts.

I wonder what people can report about this issue which visited the convention these helmets were displayed?

*Edit:

I just reread the entire conversation here and now I am even more puzzled about the quote I took from the EFX page as the way it is teased it contradicts the previous statements about the mixed technique don't you agree?

Btw: here is a picture previously posted in this discussion that shows how much it flares out.

Sorry I didn't see that earlier. It's a bit disappointing however there might be originals flaring out as well.

Still a great opportunity to modify some features of the fan made helmet sculpts using the measures

and proportions of this helmet as a reference.

scout_lgd_5.jpg

I am just as confused as you are Philipp.

I suppose we'll just have to wait and see when they appear in people's hands.

But I totally agree..

It will allow a measurement by measurement comparison and the fan sculpts can then be adjusted to suit.