EFX to make a Biker Scout helmet from the original molds

lonewolf

Was anyone on this forum actually there and able to talk to the efx guys about the helmet?

BUMP!!!

I am with Alex.... Was there anyone from this forum that was there and saw the helmet up close (or spoke with the eFX crew)?

\m/

Hopefully I'll get a chance to see it in person myself at CVI next month, assuming eFx will be there.

I guess lots of us will get to see it then as well Steve. The folks on the board gotta get together too. (BTW - I used to live in Lawrenceville)

See this thread I posted: LINKY-LINK and sign up.

\m/

The current episode (354) of Star Wars Action News is a Comic Con recap show. There's a short 5 minute interview with Gino of eFX Collectibes regarding the Scout lid. It's starts about 58 minutes in. http://www.swactionn....htm?EP=SWAN354

The major points:

They didn't have all of the original molds. The chin cup and visor molds were missing. So they molded those parts from one of the helmets in the archives.

What was on display was the limited edition. The are still discussing the "legend" edition with weathering like the film.

No price or release date yet.

• Like 1

You know marketing man, they need to test the waters and see if there's an interest. Obviously, they learned there is and we all need/want one (or two, or three). So...I'm sure within a few months it'll hit the web and these will sell quick - at whatever price they decide on. Then over time as things settle down, the price will too. ;)

just listened too the Gino interview regarding the biker scout helmet which was good BTW - just a few issues with the interview

1.DP didn't make one or two deluxe helmets they made only made 25 FG deluxe scout helmets as they only fulfilled 25 orders as

the demand for these where very low.

below is a pic from the DP catalog that I own showing the DP Delux helmet

527995_10150689731525974_1080672824_n.jpg

I was the person who found out about DP only making 25 deluxe helmets after I made contact with a owner of an original DP deluxe helmet,

after some lengthy research

I then passed these contact details onto Jez who made contact with the owner and posted the photo's and info on his web site

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/Don_Post_Biker%20Scout_Helmets.htm

2. they went too the Lucas film archives and got "most of the moulds" - sounds like some of the original moulds are missing/destroyed or lost from over the years.

And they had too mould parts from another original helmet - I wonder how some collectors will respond to this.

I would want too see some photo evidence that they copied parts from donor helmet, this now explains why only one side of the wooden moulds have been shown on other forums.

3. visor and chin cup where sculpted from another donor helmet from the archives - so the helmet on show is a mixture of two helmets. my question is are the donor parts from a

screen used helmet?

3. no mention of any fan made helmets - (MLC, KS or LW)

4. the main reason EFX go to china is that they are cheap and quick at what they do - my god china is a main producer of most every day items we use and buy.

I know EFX was born out of some original staff from Master Replicas which is not a problem but even these MR produced replicas made from

FG have flaws in them.

I own 3 1:1 scale helmets and all have some minor issues with the FG i.e. low spots and high spots in the final FG cast can be clearly seen.

I just hope fans like me and other members on several other forums of the scout helmet don't get ripped off and also have too pay high shipping

fees as it's been several years since a high quality collectable scout helmet has been made and it's about time the Scout helmet gets some consideration

as it's possibly the best helmet from the three original films. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Neil, I agree with you on many of the points that you made about the interview. Good stuff!

I did want to post a reply that I received from Bryan Ono as I emailed him the day the first image was released of the prototype.

I asked him if he had any idea of the production time-frame in its release.

Wanted to share with the forum (time-frame seems a bit soon to me but fingers crossed) ... \m/

FROM BRYAN:::

Hi Matt!

We just got the prototype the day before Comic Con, so our factory has not even seen it yet.

We are anticipating pre-order in the fall

Thanks!

Bryan

I still hope eFX will find a way to make these helmets of ABS and keep them really accurate without full interior padding, but instead using 3M headbands etc. Also they need to sand down the lateral parts where the fiberglass texture is showing - if they keep making them out of FB. In my opinion fiberglass already thins down the Legend title

Seems that the Limited will be clean and Legend weathered: http://forum.rebelsc...2/#post18886143, though I'm not really sure eFx will manage to do a good weathering for it. I just look at their eFX Precision Cast Sandtrooper helmet where the weathering shows that poor TD fell in a bantha poodoo pit or something

Besides that the way that the Legend is only available from eFX themselves may be again a big pain in the %#& for international customers who have to pay high international shipping costs plus a lot of customs charges and taxes. It happened with Vader Legend already.

Nice post jkno! It is good to see what other forums are talking about and some more good pictures of the eFX helmet.

One thing that we should all keep in mind is that eFX rushed to get the prototype to CC.

As Bryan stated, their factory has not even seen the helmet.

I believe that they will smooth out the so-called flaws with the final product once it gets to be that time.

(my 2 cents)

\m/

Bryan from eFX used to post directly on Rebelscum quite often. And people there are not only praising eFX but also criticize them when it is the case (of course in a decent and friendly manner). It is really good to have a licensed Scout lid, but using the original molds and having the Legend aura, we were expecting a bit more. We'll see how this develops...

EFX is pleased to announce the latest helmet in the Legend Edition line.

SCOUT TROOPER!

Our helmet was created by utilizing the original ROTJ production molds which as far as I know is the first time that original production molds from the original trilogy have been used to create a licensed collectible.

How awesome is that?!

The original screen-used helmets were made in vac formed plastic halves which were then glued together.

The seam lines were filled with putty and sanded (relatively) smooth and then the entire helmet was painted white.

The seam lines on the original helmets were very fragile and every known original has cracks in the paint in these areas.

Because of vulnerability of the seam lines as well as the production and CS nightmare it would surely cause' date=' the decision was made to create our replicas in fiberglass.

Even though the materials will be different, every other aspect of the helmet will be as screen accurate as possible including the overall forms, paint, detailing, accessories, and function.

There will be two different editions, a weathered screen-accurate version and a clean non-weathered version.

We are not quite sure at this point if the weathered version will become the Legend with the clean version becoming the Limited as it happened with the ANH Vader.

For the time being, we're just going to label them 'weathered screen-accurate' and 'clean'.

Both versions will be identical with the exception of the weathering effect.

Hope you enjoy the pics!!

weathered screen-accurate version

scout_lgd_1.jpg

scout_lgd_2.jpg

scout_lgd_3.jpg

scout_lgd_4.jpg

scout_lgd_5.jpg

scout_lgd_6.jpg

scout_lgd_7.jpg

scout_lgd_8.jpg

scout_lgd_9.jpg

clean version

scout_ltd_1.JPG

scout_ltd_2.JPG

scout_ltd_3.JPG

scout_ltd_4.JPG

scout_ltd_5.JPG

scout_ltd_6.JPG

I'm getting the LW and I might get the clean version of the eFX too. But the LW already has whatever a helmet needs regarding accuracy. The eFX will be made of fiberglass and with full padding thus 2 minuses regarding accuracy already.

eFX has done a great job on both versions (dirty and clean) but LW Helmets, in my humble mind is the most accurate ever made, to me is a masterpiece!!!

Leo

eFX has done a great job on both versions (dirty and clean) but LW Helmets, in my humble mind is the most accurate ever made, to me is a masterpiece!!!

Leo

My opinion as well!! :)

Honestly, not crazy about how they did the weathering. I realize that misted black spraypaint is how they did it, I just feel that the example above is just over-done.

If it's a decent price, I'd easily snap up a clean version.

Personally I'm quite disappointed of the use of fiberglass and full interior padding. I know this is a way easier method for a licensed company to mass produce but I also feel the Legend name lost its aura. eFx could have gone the KS way: made of ABS but a simpler method than the very accurate LW.

I might get the eFX clean one if price is right though - looks way more impressive than the weathered one, plus I'm not quite trusty regarding the quality of eFX final weathering.

Personally I'm quite disappointed of the use of fiberglass and full interior padding. I know this is a way easier method for a licensed company to mass produce but I also feel the Legend name lost its aura. eFx could have gone the KS way: made of ABS but a simpler method than the very accurate LW.

I might get the eFX clean one if price is right though - looks way more impressive than the weathered one, plus I'm not quite trusty regarding the quality of eFX final weathering.

I agree...clean all the way for me too. :)

I'll try to get a clean one , but ultimately I'll take whatever I can get. Price is of no concern. They can charge $999.00 and they'll get my money.

It's by the far the most accurate Scout helmet released to date... cast from parts that came off the ILM molds. You can only get closer by casting a screen used helmet itself. Them using Fiberglass just means it will last longer than an ABS helmet. :)

• Like 1

I've seen cracked fiberglass helmets too, so not sure about lasting longer, but loss of accuracy: YES. I would have preferred to have this helmet made from the original materials if they keep calling it "Legend". They could have even try making them in a simpler way (KS way) compared to the complex process they were made back then (like LW makes his). Besides all this I have a hard time believing everything eFX declares anymore, some of us who are members on other forums and who were following their products and declarations all this time, had some interesting experiences during these years...