From the Frozen Tundra of Hoth to the Jungles of Kashyyyk-TS3391 KST build

Tunnel Rat

Hey all finally got the MB box of goodies today. After working all night got early wake up call from the postman knocking on my door. I will post pics as I go if I remember, and be prepared for tons of questions. I will try to keep them short and sweet and not so nerdy. Once again thanks to you know who for the armor very nice work.

TS3391

Thanks all for the warm welcomes, question does anyone have a list of supplies they used for their builds? I am trying to find the proper way to cut the holes for the lens and snout vents and ear vents. Also what gauge of screen mesh do I need. I am heading to the hardware store in the am. I will post pics Tuesday. Also I am thinking of a name for my KST. Is Tunnel Rat being used?

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my *WIP*

DC15 - complete

Gloves - Complete - THANKS TO DARTH LINDON

DPM - Came in and getting modded now - Darn doesn't fit, didn't know XL was a 30 inch waist. Ordered 2nd pair and guess what still to small, ordered 3rd pair waiting.

Lexan for lens done waiting for green tint

Armor - Starting to paint, working on the shin and bicep armor for proper fitting

Boots - picked out and needing mods done

Pouches - Big back pouches needing painting and velcro added rest of my small pouches came in so mods and painting needs done.

Cumerbun - Ordered and waiting - Thanks Ladysewforus

Camera - out for repairs, wife got a new one so what a way to break it in, will post pics later today.

Also nothing like E6000 and burning plastic and paint at 3:20 am.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the very slow updates....I keep hitting a snag with the DPM fitting my size. :wacko: So I am waiting my 3rd pair of pants this time going with a size bigger than my jeans. And top that off with my camera not working right. I will post pics sometime tomorrow to get suggestions on the camo paint scheme I have.....

Update ok all here it goes here are my 90% complete bucket, still need to add the stickers and waiting for the Green Tint for my lens. Still wondering about the camo scheme. Can I get suggestions please.

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

100_0010.jpg

Hey Buddy i would have to agree the cammo pattern is very busy the paint looks very thick in places so much so it looks lumpy and raised its a good starting point for getting used to various cammo patterns

Personally i would use a sponge dipped in to the colour and then dabbed on to the bucket this will give u uneaven shapes and you can put them where you want ;)

dont forget not all KT cammo patterns will be the same if it helps practise on some paper first and get a style you like then apply that style to the bucket

Hope that helps

Just a couple of tips: the brow area above the visor should be painted like the helm, not black. And the stems under the 'vents' on the mouthpiece should be black.

I used sponging for my camo as well, which worked a treat. Get a squarish bit of foam, dip it lightly into the paint, and then roll (a corner or edge of the sponge for a line or crescent shape), or dab the paint on, as the area needs. You can get both curves as well as lines and jagged edges that way.

Remember, when doing camo, that less is more. And as mentioned no two camo patterns should look the same.

My camo looks 'busy' here:

5627244786_67778c11a1.jpg

But close up it is more base coat than camo, if that makes sense:

5621690584_f10432cfbe.jpg

Try doing a little bit of one colour, then a little of another, in a smaller area (ie: the forearm guard). Let them dry. They may seem too far apart @ first, but once dry it is very different.

And grab some print outs of CB images if possible. They were very handy to have on hand when painting the camo, for reference. I got great ideas about spacing, shapes and patterns for the camo from the screen images.

Just a couple of things that helped me with my camo, hope they help! ;)

Good luck!

I agree, it does look a little busy. I like your start, very promising. Paint the solid base color then add one of the 2 camo colors at a time sparsely alternating colors until you like the fill and pattern. And remember, You can always give it a light sanding and repaint or just paint over small mistakes.

here is something I learned that may help. on the "breather vents", I drilled small holes in the vents and used a shallow coarse thread screw to hold them in, I don't trust the glue and would hate to loose one.

The black snout looks like it could use another coat of paint.

Last note, the side vents look a little strange to me. I'm not sure exactly what you have going on with the screen and it may just be the lighting, but it may be worth a second look. It looks like a white line inside the vent or something that just caught my eye.

I hope my comments are not discouraging, I think you have a great start and will have a nice kit when your done.

I agree with Dan, Ski, and James. After painting the snout black and the "almond" around the remaining helmet, I used a cut, wet, sponge to apply the green, brown, and yellow stain to the areas of my helmet and armor (this way you have jagged edges in some areas, can curve others, and even make straight lines if needed). Layering the camo paint was another technique I used. After the almond base coat, started with green, then brown, a little yellow, then back to the almond. I just addded more almond to my over all costume to "tone down" the overall appearance. Like the others said, no two camo paint schemes are identical. Green wash and weathering comes later (at your discretion).

018.jpg

I know all the camo paint jobs are different, but that (from what I can tell) is one of the things that makes this build so difficult. Also having many stills from the movie, or from others build threads, or other resources can help as you paint. ;)

Hey guys.....Thanks for the advise, I was playing with it last night. Never thought of the sponge it will give me something to do tonight and tomorrow. I was more or less looking over the camo scheme and reminded me of the Bogey Sqaud Kashyyyk Trooper.

Once again thanks to all for the advise.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm rockin' and rollin' and doing a little bit o' re-building!

Helping Tunnel Rat with his KT.

I'll "GIT 'ER DONE" !!

You've all seen my wife's build, so this will be a little similar.

*Just on a side note: Did ya ever think, if there might have been winters on Kashyyyk? *

Cheers! (Ha! Bah, humbug!)

Grumpy :angry:

Okay, so I played around with Dave's helmet. I sanded, and repainted a base coat, and and then added some colors and weathering. I still have to put the aerators back on, add the vent screens, add ear hole screens, and the green lens.

Before:

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

100_0010.jpg

During:

IMG_2211.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

After:

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

Well, any questions?