Yet another KST underway

Jimah

Well thought I would flag that there is soon to be another KST in the works. Time to get another KST trooping in Australia!

Have ordered the armour (thanks Mr B!), have ordered the DPM pants and jacket, and gloves, have completed the boots... so we're in the pipe, five by five!

Will start a WIP when I get a few more bits in hand.

Welcome James!!

Always good to know that there's a future KST in the works!!

DPM jacket/pants, and the gloves arived today... have made great progress on the gloves and hope to post some pics tomorrow for feedback.

Then dye over the weekend... oh this is a fun little kit to put together! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been posting my WIP on 501st TAG website (lot of Aussies very keen to see a KST up close)... :)

I think, bar weathering, that I have finished my soft armour. I am very open to any suggestions as to improvements, adjustments or trims I may need to make to this point. Holding off on weathering until I am satisfied the soft armour is good to go.

I have posted the link to the WIP thread for TAG. If you get a chance and have a look, I would be very keen for any feedback offered.

501st TAG WIP:

http://forum.501tag.com/index.php/topic/10...mp;#entry145549

Don't be afraid to make valid suggestions, as I would rather find any errors during construction, than get them pointed out at approval stage. ;)

Thanks all

Starting to take shape nicely Buddy looking at you leg pouches they seem a little large ? reason i say this is when you put the bund on the drop boxes should hand down between the belt and the leg pouches at the moment i would guess that the drop boxes would hang over the top off the leg pouches with there current size and placement :unsure:

on your shirt i personally would remove the rank tab on the front as your not gonna need it and the breast pockets the shirt itsself needs to be as plain as possible what i did on mine regarding the stitching being a different colour to the shirt was to colour it in using a brown felt tip pen to blend it all together

Hope this helps

Cheers Dan

Good advice, thanks Dan!

Thought I would leave the rank tab at the moment as it may be a good spot to hang an amp from behind the chest piece. (Bad idea?) I will try that with the stitches, I had read that Mr B had the same issue. But that is an elegant solution :)

Think you may be right about the chest pockets too. Initially I thought they would be excellent for storage... but later I remembered there are pockets in the front of the pants *facepalm*

As to the thigh pouches I was also wondering if they were slightly overlarge... not sure whether to make them smaller now or wait until I have fitted the armour and drop boxes to see how much I need to change them.

Thanks for the input, appreciate your time and suggestions!

Dan's right about the drop pouches. I forgot about that until he mentioned it. It will also depend on how tall you are.

When you get the cumberbund and belt done, with the drop pouches hanging from them, and you have the knee armor in place, then that will give you the amount of space to determine the size of your thigh pouches. Make sense?

You probably have the right size, based on the dimensions, but it will come down to positioning. That's all.

They still look good. Proper flap shape and all.

Also, your ammo pouches are looking good.

Keep it up! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I have been able to get the pouches made and painted. Before sealing them I was very careful to match the colours as closely as possible to the colour chart in the CRL.

I am still having issues with pasting pictures from either Flickr or Photobucket, but my work so far can be seen at TAG (Terra Australis Garrison) as listed above.

Thanks again for the feedback, the constructive comments have helped me make this kit something to be proud of so far! :)

• 1 month later...

Just got my bodacious box of Bungle-ish bliss in the mail today!

So all set to get cracking on the armour and bring this little baby to life :)

Thanks all for your input so far, and to Mr B... awesome job on the armour! Terrific little package, very impressed and happy - and still giggling at what is written in the visor :)

Will post more pics as the build progresses, and of course will also keep my TAG WIP updated (see above link).

Got a bit done on my armour:

5605150039_49328fda1a.jpg

5605164145_6f9e6f7fc4.jpg

5605727156_08d8bb9399.jpg

5548101943_7fcc0db48c.jpg

Shopping on Tuesday for the paint and cloth to finish my drop pouches:

5605878790_98e5dfa6ed.jpg

I decided to add a back to the drop pouches to make them easier to cover, and maintain the image should they flap up when I move ;)

Cod is cloth covered.

So all that is left is mounting the shoulders on knee-pads, a few touches of velcro to the shirt (biceps etc), the final few coats of paint and pretty much good to go! Oh and have to resize the thigh pockets... which is the last item to do once the ammo pouches are strapped, so I can measure them out correctly.

I decided to vary a little from Mr B's excellent tute thread regarding the armour. Instead of using metal to mount the shin strap greebs I used some spare plastic from my 'shim' sign. I bent them into shape, then heated and clamped them, allowing them to cool into the desired shape.

5605168665_7f20f2d71c.jpg

5605752724_36bf8fbae0.jpg

I thought they would be easier to glue to the greeb that way, as well as being a tad less weight on the strapping material on the shins.

I have some window tint for the visor, just have to buy a cheap replacement face shield to mount it on and trim to shape.

And instead of liquid latex I'm going to use masking fluid. The only liquid latex for sale in the area is from adult bookshops... I don't think they use it for what I want to use it for :)

Looking great I like the idea of extra plastic for the greebs . What are you using to mount the pouches velcro ? I am going with magnets on the pouches and belt also shoulder bells . the magnets are 3/4 inch disc x 1/16 inch thickness the pull is 6 lbs so they are very strong you have to pull part with both hands.

Ah great idea - is that the Rare Earth style magnets? Might try that down the track if the velcro is not a winner.

Have gone for this sort of setup with the pouches/bund velcroing:

5548691182_41462d4a59.jpg

That's the only problem with camo, drop it and you are in trouble...

...as the quartermaster said: "Just got a shipment of 4000 camo uniforms yesterday and now I can't find one of them!" ^_^

Hehe happy to try velcro and see how I go.

Least I get to start painting today! Woot!

My pouches are going to screwed on. I am going to follow Darth Lindon's build. Some say us Kashyyyk Troopers in the Ohio Garrison like having the secure feeling. I must say after some of the troops I have been on security is the best feeling if we don't have handlers around to watch for pouches falling everywhere...LOL. I like the idea of things not coming off unless I take it off myself.

I have velcro glued on the entire back of my pouches with e6000. I sewed an equal size of velcro onto my cummerbund. the velcro is 2 inches wide i believe. I jump up and down and have not had one fall off yet. I imagine if you take them off and wash the cummer a lot then you might loose strength on the velcro, I just leave mine on.

Managed to finish this off today:

5621690584_f10432cfbe.jpg

Just got a little more stitching to do (resize thigh pockets, velcro on shoulders) and I am set to take it for a test drive. Will pop some pics of the kit up in a day or two when all is done. :)

... oh and black/ brown weathering of course! (Mud & blaster scorching to make it look loved) ;)

Oh, yeah!!!!

Almost there...................almost there................... B)

Well done!