Luckyxero's KST Build

luckyxero

Here's my build for the KST armor. It's a repost from the New England Garrison's board, so sorry if I explain the obvious. :)

========================

Finally after having a Mike Pghfett BARC helmet for about 4 years and having the Mr. Bungle armor since March, I actually cleaned up my workshop (a wreck since St Patty's), opened the box from Mr Bungle and started to get this armor built. I'm also slowly collecting the soft armor and trying to determine if I can build the cbund boxes.

Here's the raw Mike Pghfett helmet.

1086312651_EwEtj-M.jpg

It's actually 2 pieces, a resin helmet and a fiberglass visor.

1086312100_sVVPZ-M.jpg

Here's what the Mr. Bungle armor contains: chest & back with tank pre-built, shoulder bells, biceps, elbow, forearms, rubber belt, cod, thigh pouches, knees, shins, and toes. On the top of the pic, you'll see a whole bunch of greeblies that come with it - knee straps, belt loop, bicep greebly, shin buckles, and some other random pieces that need a final destination.

1086312041_8yGWC-M-1.jpg

I worked on the helmet today - trimmed the loose parts and flash from the mold, sanded it, and cut out the eye shield. It should be almost ready for painting.

1086315628_GynK7-M-1.jpg

I also trimmed the shins and started to assemble them, but then realized that those are usually the hardest part to get right, so I stopped and started to trim the other parts. More to come. :)

about dang time!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was in a rush at the beginning of the year to get it in the St Patty's day parade, but they cancelled it this year. This WILL be done by the end of the year, if not by thanksgiving!!!!!! (except maybe the grey suede on the pants) .

Got some more last night. Not too many pics because there's not much to show. I trimmed the biceps and glued them together. Since the armor is HIPS, I used the same RED can of plastic welder and a "For Sale" sign (really a handicap parking sign) that I got at HD. While each connection was curing, I cleaned up all of the edges of the armor and sanded all of the surfaces of the armor. Everything should be ready for painting, just in time for the 60 degree weekend (I hope).

Here is the biceps. They weren't perfectly round when I connected them, so I heated them with a heat gun to round them out. Kept the clamps on so I didn't stress out the connection of the two sides of the bicep.

1088504880_X5XMr-M.jpg

Here's how they look after they were glued and shaped. I'm going to use the acetone and HIPS homemade putty to hide the edge. It's brewing now.

1088505100_sxwGt-M.jpg

These are the sanded and wiped down parts. I'm going to try to paint them silver first, then tan, then add the 3 camouflage colors.

1088504917_NYzYr-M.jpg

Here's what I did today.

Painted the back of the armor and the inside of the helmet black today, and the first coat of silver, of which 90 percent will be covered up. Helmet looks cool in silver though. :)

1089113099_WdqbC-M-1.jpg

1089111974_p45VY-M-1.jpg

1089112789_4YqLr-M-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Again - This is posted originally on the New England forum, but wanted to post here too. Sorry if it's common sense to some people - just look at the pix. ;)

Got some more work done this long weekend.

First up. Here are my updates to the soft armor. These are British Desert BDUs. I added removed the lower side pants pockets and used the material to add front thigh pockets. I had to make them smaller than what people are typically doing bc I'm shorter, so the perspective would be better. The shirt picture is stock. I've dyed them dark brown (for 30 minutes) and black (for an additional 15 minutes) using RIT dye. They are drying now in my garage, but if they don't hurry up and finish, I might go to a local laundry mat.

1108568841_jyS2h-M.jpg

1108568907_egeDp-M.jpg

Next up - Painted all the armor in its base color. There's a specific color coding that Mr. Bungle found on BS.net that people are using to paint the armor base. Here's what the helmet looks like with the black on the snout painted in.

1108568142_nBh65-M.jpg

Boots - I found some boots at Walmart with a tan sole and a high arch. The problem is that they are leather suede and not white. So I taped them up and painted them in white primer. Now these shoes have a non-stick sole, so I couldn't tape them up to mask them. So I actually had to tape them on the suede part of the shoe and touch them up. This part is going to be weathered anyway, so the discoloration between white paints will not show too much. The top of the boot is going to be hidden by the calf armor.

Original boots

1108568601_d7q7C-M.jpg

First round of painting

1108568409_ULNq4-M.jpg

Finished unweathered boots in white.

1108568399_YVi88-M.jpg

Lastly for today - Here's a pic of the cod piece. It is painted the base color with black on the back. But Mr. Bungle was kind enough to include the cloth piece that covers it (giving it texture). It is simply gooped to the plastic and held overnight.

1108568275_aGeVb-M.jpg

I actually have alot more done, but haven't taken pics yet.

The helmet is camo'd and basically all but weathered.

All of the armor is painted, all but weathered. (I hate painting camo.)

The cummerbund is sewed, minus the belly belt.

The rubber belt is painted.

Armor straps applied to the elbows and knees.

Still need to start the cummerbund boxes. grrrrr.... thinking of doing these in cloth covered foam to lighten the load.

Here's what my helmet looks like. Still unweathered though.

1108568611_ku9Z7-M.jpg

pants pockets look like they are flat.

Yeah, they are flat. I tried making the boxy type, but failed and cut too much of the material. So I decided to go with flat. I didn't see it as a requirement. But if it is, I'll have to modify or get new pants. (or get someone that knows what he/she is doing and pay that person). I hate sewing these pockets. Had to do it on my GM too.

More updates.......

The shirt and pants finally dried.....They are pretty close in color despite them starting off in different colors. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

1109501907_yfpBq-M-1.jpg

1109502571_2DAMK-M-1.jpg

Here's the bain of my existence. The damn cummerbund. It is a piece of gray material, with straps sewed on them in vertical lines and one horizontal belt going 2/3 of the way down with 2 velcro (black) pieces representing belt loops. The vertical straps fold over the top and bottom and are sewed 1/3 and 2/3 of the way down. Sounds easy, right? NOT!!!!! I had to pull stitches from this sucker about 6-7 times because the straps weren't straight. This is the best I could do, but I did make sure the 3 center straps were the straightest because those are what show the most. The others are really hidden by the cummberbund boxes. The reference pics show uneven lines too so it's not totally inaccurate. The straps are 1.5 inches with 1 inch spacing.

Straps from strapworks.

1109507393_h4r4C-M.jpg

1109509301_cNkUa-M-1.jpg

1109511268_kjgFU-M.jpg

Once I finish the boxes, I will add velcro to the cummberbund to attach them.

Here is the painted armor-unweathered. I didn't want to over do it on the camo, so once the armor is together and I can try it on, I'll most likely be tweaking. I mostly used sponge brushes to paint on each color (as specified by Mr. Bungle on his tutorial). I liked the way Mr. Bungle did his armor - smaller blobs with thin pointy lines extending, but I also liked some of the screen caps which had larger blobs and faded splashes. So I'm trying to combine the looks using larger pointy blobs with thin lines and splashes (sorry for the primative description, but I think you get it.) The brown and green "splash marks will be part of the weathering, using a black, brown and green spray bottles. See the 2 empty spray bottles next to the windex and the black windex. :)

1109502682_LTc2t-M.jpg

1109513179_BrdHw-M.jpg

Here are the knees and the elbows/forearms. The kit came with rubber straps for the knees, but goop wouldn't stick to the straps. :( So I "old school'd" it and riveted them. I still have to add either padding or elastic straps to the knees to make sure they stay in place. The elbows/forearms have the rubber from those bungy cords on them. On these the goop stuck, so no rivets on them.

1109504328_gqtau-M.jpg

1109504561_8VTjp-M-1.jpg

1109503548_d48V4-M.jpg

1109505657_vHJp4-M.jpg

That's it for now. Still gotta do:

Belt

bicep greeblies

calve straps and greeblies

gloves (grrrrr.....)

and attach everything together. :)

Looks good! And those are the same boots I picked!

Please tell me where you got the materials for the lens in the helmet.

Thanks,

Colleen

I got it on ebay. Search "football visor green". It's actually just a thin piece of reflective material. I supported it with a clear welding visor.

ebay link: green visor

This is what I cut up for the clear material. It was lying around so I sacrificed it. :)

6f646e17-d687-4820-8a74-678a4a7408ad_300.jpg

link

OK - I was looking at some more of the reference pix and decided that i needed to "lighten" up some of my camo colors. That is, I didn't really see any solid paint on the reference pics. Most of them looked sanded down or sponged on - letting some of the original base color come through. So I ended up sanding down the camo on my armor to eliminate the solid paint using 300 grit and 600 grit sand paper. I also weathered it using the typical windex and acrylic paint. Here I wanted to add those mud splashes on the armor, so windex and coffee colored paint was the color of choice. I put about 2 squeezes of paint in spray bottle and added about 20-30 sprays of windex. (accurate right?). :)

1110723026_Mvm2R-M-1.jpg

Here's two a pre and post sand job. You'll see some vertical lines, which look like sanding marks (sandpaper scrapping to hard). But these are actually the paint brush strokes on the base armor. I painted this in about 45-50 degree weather, so the paint probably didn't have enough time to settle before it dried. The mud splashes are kind of washed out with the flash, but it does look like I was riding my bike in the rain in armor.

1110726871_zcFfq-M.jpg

Here's the chest piece with the mud still wet.

1110727511_bpY3L-M.jpg

Here's the back piece & tank.

1110728276_ZdcuK-M.jpg

Here's the helmet

1110729158_seBTo-M.jpg

1110729337_tbVLt-M-1.jpg

1110729636_a9T4W-M-1.jpg

1110729800_XXFJt-M-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

So i took a break doing this to work on a Death Watch grunt. :)

1225917393_bNxwh-O-2.jpg

Cummerbund

Didn't do anything with the paint yet, but I did get the cummerbund all velcro'd up and made the boxes. Here's what it looks like half on & half off.

1231487669_vfsco-M.jpg

Gloves

I also got my first glove adventure complete. I had Calvin Klein gloves (on sale) and converted them into the kashyyyk gloves. They are basic black gloves, but needed 3 gray pads on them which I made out of marine vinyl. I ripped the liner out of the gloves, ripped up the side seams and sewed the vinyl on. The vinyl was preformed by folding and hot gluing in the center so I could sew the edge without interference of the glue. The brown part of the gloves are a separate piece with a greeblie from acrilyhan. It's also marine vinyl with a piece of velcro on the edge to attach to the glove. blah blah blah....look at the pics.

1231487655_Rr2ao-M.jpg

1231487666_XzELN-M.jpg

1231487801_VXx5q-M.jpg

1231487841_C8QVq-M.jpg

1231487871_ESdmM-M.jpg

1231487952_jD4Cj-M.jpg

1231488055_cu6DC-M.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Based on looking at the main 501st site, am I to say that congratulations are in order? B)

Did we add one more Kashyyyk Trooper to the roster?