KST Cumberbund, My Findings

Guest Skupilkinson

Guest Skupilkinson

Hi guys,

I've been looking at my reference for the cumberbund and I think I've made some discoveries that may upset some of you guys if I'm right?

I've been staring long and hard to get a grip of the cumberbund as I'm gonna make my own, but what I've found suggests that the current opinion of how it should look is(dare I say it) wrong. :unsure::huh:

I'll post pics to hopefully help me describe what I mean, I find it difficult to put my thoughts into words sometimes.

Here's my thoughts.

The webbing vertical strips in my opinion are wider than the spacing between them. I've been looking at meterial texture and lighting and the shadows don't add up for thin vertical webbing. Also, the webbing doubles back on itself at the top to form a kind of loop. The top of this loop falls just short of the top of the cumberbund so there's a space that runs along the cumberbund between the webbing and the top of the cumberbund.

Comparing two different pics of this area opened my eyes to another thing that (I think) backs me up. On the vertical webbing there's clearly a brown, almost rust looking weathering that isn't on the cumberbund spacing between those webbing strips. It's in both pics which suggests again that the webbing is wider? Look at the two pics that I've added text and arrows to and it suggests that I may be right?

Also, the spacing isn't uniform. it varies. Look at the second pic and you'll see I've highlighted it. Should I be proven wrong in all of this, then it does mean that the vertical webbing varies in width so either way I think our designs on this part of kit needs some further tweaking?

I hope that my thread/findings don't offend anyone. I know I'm fairly new to this forum but I just wanted to help us all get more accurate kit. Please, please offer your opinions on this? I've started a few threads here but few people seem to respond to them. :( It'd be great to see what you guys think of this.

The pics:

CB1.jpg

CB2.jpg

CB3.jpg

Again, I'm sorry if this offends anyone. I know that if it becomes agreed that I may be right in this that cumberbunds may need to be changed(?) but I'm just trying to be a part of KST crew and take part in figuring this costume out. :)

good work, i still say it is dirty grey, with brown stains. the line at the top looks more like a seam line than a loop. except in your last pic. the problem is keeping the loop/seam in the correct position while wearing the cossie.

and yes the the outside strip is wider than the inside one on the pattern. i have stared at the KT pics for so long that i am almost blind to them at this point, so it is good to have a freash pair of eyes looking at them.

after the odst build , i plan to update and correct some of the things on my armor.

Guest Skupilkinson

Thanks for the reply Tom! :)

So, you reckon I may be right about the vertical webbing being wider than the spaces? As in the the space to strip ratio(1"-2") being the other way around?

Yeah, but see where that webbing isn't sewn down at the sides? Like it's left open like a loop of sorts? It also looks that way down the whole strip too? with stitching running horizontally across the webbing at spaced intervals?

I've been studying up so that when my hard parts arrive all my soft parts are in order but I keep seeing things that make me think twice about how I need to make things ya know?

damn those are nice pics mate

lol staring at them this close up - I was gettin crossed eyed.

I see what you are talking abt. but cos of the nature of em, we are unlikely to ever get a 100% correct idea. I think Skips interpretation of the cummerbund is valid. We are generally goign for a 'look' rahter than real world accuracy right?

so which ever it is - as long as there is an alternating fat/thin/fat/thin - think it shouldnt affect 501 basic acceptance?

What you think Tom?

I will be working with Skip btw to try and get at least 2 UK KST looking uniform :D

Where do you get these renders? Is there a possibility to get the whole thing?

I have seen this pic and like I always stated all we need KST then things like this needs to be under a KST (Lancer status). A lot of the defined details of this costume you cannot even see on screen. My 2 cents! Good work Andrew!

Guest Skupilkinson

Excellent! Thanks for the posts guys!!

I wasn't sure about posting my thoughts on this. Some of you have been studying these guys for years, so I wasn't sure how you'd take a relative "new guy" posting that he thinks they should be made differently.

Like Nate said, we've been talking at length for a wee while now trying to get a fixed approach in our heads so that our kit is uniform. Nate's a fair distance from me but I have family up his way and may be moving there next year so it'd be great to troop with him and both of us be the same. Nate, you've been a great help. ;)

Thanks Angelo!! I've been referring to your threads and posts a lot as well as MrB and others here. It was great to read your post and see that I haven't rubbed you up the wrong way. :) I've seen the odd post about a Lancer equivilent(sp?) for KST's. It'd be great to try and iron out the details for them as I wouldn't mind aiming for that level myself. My other current costume is a custom Mando so accuracy didn't matter at all. For this project I'd like to shoot a little higher and try to get the finer details right if I can. Are we anywhere near having Lancer standards set for the KST?

Lancer aside, if I made my cumberbund the way I think it should be. Would I still be on track for 501st approval? Since the idea is fairly different from the current thinking to the cumberbund?

Phillip, I was emailed two high res pics of the KST about a year ago. I cannot remember who it was who sent them now?? Because of the original source I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them here??

Thanks again for the input guys! Keep it coming!

Guest Skupilkinson

So guys, anymore thoughts on this? I've been noticing the number of thread views going up but no new replies?

It'd be great if we could all pool together and get this part of the puzzle finalised? You think?

Also, I wanted your opinions on fabric. I know most have gone for some sort of cotton but to me it seems the cumberbund itself should be made of a more textured or coarse material?? Again, looking at those pics I posted earlier, you can see that there's defenitely a texture there. Almost like a hessian? I think I read somewhere that some have used a hessian fabric for the cod covering?

I'm thinking the same could work for the cumberbund too? Then with the webbing sewn in and pouches in place I think that could close to nail the look??

Keep the chatter coming guys, let's liven the KST section up again!! :)

Guest Skupilkinson

As am I! Though it'd be great to discuss it here to try and get an idea of how this should really be made? Especially if a Lancer standard is created for us KST's?

BTW, Merry Christmas guys!! :D

Guest Skupilkinson

I wanted to put this out there guys. I'm still studying these pics of the cumberbund whilst trying to source materials.

Is there anyone out there who also thinks the webbing on the cumberbund is more an olive drab than a grey??

CB4.jpg

BTW, Happy New Year to all!!!

Guest Skupilkinson
I wanted to put this out there guys. I'm still studying these pics of the cumberbund whilst trying to source materials.

Is there anyone out there who also thinks the webbing on the cumberbund is more an olive drab than a grey??

CB4.jpg

BTW, Happy New Year to all!!!

Anyone? :) I'm sorry if my recent posts/threads seem like "going over old ground" or something. I'm just trying to generate conversation with a fresh pair of eyes and new enthusiasm. :)

Yes, I think its olive drab....in the older post that is what everyone was leaning too...so I dyed mine green..but it looks like more people have the ref pic as I didn't have any ref pic when I built my KST!

This is what I show for the straps in the model without the textures. Obviously, the horizontal belt is incorrect after smoothing. The vertical straps, at 6' tall, should be 1.5" wide and the horizontal belt is 2.3" wide.

bund001.jpg

Guest Skupilkinson

Superb!!! Thanks very much!

That's pretty much how I was thinking it would be. Especially the spacing. Thanks a million for posting that! Got any more? LOL!

You mention without textures, do you have textures?

i am glad someone else is researching this cossie. becuase i spent a year going blind looking at the KT reference pics trying to figure stuff out. looks like a update for my cumberbund will be coimg sooner than i thought.

good work, skip and postmortem.

john are you guys going to make your belt and cod peice one piece of rubber? because i have been thinking about doing that with mine. i think it would fit better if the cod and the belt were the same peice made of rubber with a cloth covering over the cod. i know that the buckle will be a seperate piece.

i am glad someone else is researching this cossie. becuase i spent a year going blind looking at the KT reference pics trying to figure stuff out. looks like a update for my cumberbund will be coimg sooner than i thought.

WOW! I told my seamstress to hold off since the ideas are pouring out with pics...looking good! I may need a whole new suit! Great job John and Andrew for ref the pics! In the older post I remember the mole/tactical vest with out the vertical lines were mentioned and Johns model resembles a mole/tactical vest.

Guest Skupilkinson

We need to discuss materials as well for the main 'bund. The vertical straps can be done easily with webbing(probably the cotton kind used in belts) but the main 'bund material appears to be fairly coarse? The textures used for cumberbund and thevertical webbing on the movie models is almost identical.

I was considering either a heavy canvas fabric or even hessian? I'm positive that a simple cotton wouldn't be accurate?

Guest Skupilkinson

Help? Those pics are superb!!! Thanks very much John. :D I can see I'll have to wait until my armor arrives so that I can tailor my 'bund to fit with the chest. The way the height of the vertical webbing decreases as it gets to the sides?

• 1 month later...
Guest Skupilkinson

From what I've seen they're stitched horizontally at regular intervals? Though I think velcro sewn into place OVER the straps then that should prevent sag?

• 4 months later...
Guest Skupilkinson

I've been away for a while since I've been working on other projects but I'm back to working on my KT now. :D WooHoo!

I'm gonna be reading to catch up on the latest but has there been any new findings or developments on materials and types of webbing/strapping to make the cumberbund?

I still have my supplies I got last year but the olive drab webbing seems a little too green, too dark in person? I'll snap pics and post them.

As for a main fabric, I got some heavy canvas(non waterproof for dying) and some hessian. The hessian(sp?) seems a little too heavy on texture while canvas could work but seems to be lacking in texture.

Any thoughts guys?

I know most of us are doing the best we can with what little we know and can find but it'd be great to be able to get the costume nailed.