MB KST helmet ver. 1.5 WIP

well i was in the middle of the version 2 sculpt and relized it was too big for me. guys 6'2" would love the version 2 which i plan to finish at a later date. i am 5'8" 165 pounds.

anywhoo. i took a reject helmet casting and started cutting away at it to make it look more like the gree scene helmet instead of the battle scene helmet. the first helmet was my first sculpt so there was room for improvement.

i made the face and helmet about a half inch taller. i widen the lens hole and norrowed the snout. i am trying to get this as close as possible to the gree scene KST. also i am trying to improve the vision of the person wearing it.

here is some size comparisions with my old helmet and pghfett's helmet.

002-65.jpg

003-58.jpg

i still hafve a along way to go , but this sculpt is going pretty quickly.

004-53.jpg

005-41.jpg

thanks , still have a way to go, like making the eyes even and stuff. but it is getting there. what you see is about 6 hours in to the sculpt. i figure at least another 20 or 40 hours.

here is some more work in progress pics. sculpt is going pretty quick. trying to solve some of the symmetry issues. LOL.

here is the helmet i am going for. the gree scene helmet.

med_gallery_1_11_42689.jpg

med_gallery_1_11_74003.jpg

001-59.jpg

002-66.jpg

003-59.jpg

004-54.jpg

here is some more comparision shots with the old helmet.

005-42.jpg

006-33.jpg

I liked the proportions of ur verson 1, so a longer face would prob knock that off.

you already mentioned that u were gonna cut the visor shorter and sand the cheeks down a bit more werent yer?

thats should lengthen the face on its own I think

Nate

yep, that is exactly what i did, i grinded down the sides to get the face thinner looking and shorten the length of the viser. still have to get the viser in the right shape. but it is starting to look like a KST.

004-55.jpg

005-43.jpg

Guest shadowlova

Looking good.

I just bought your version 1 helmet from Wedge (Tony@TAG). I like it.It will be my first clone anything build. I've been researching this forum a lot. Your tutorial is great. My only concern is doing the wash when painting as I have never done a wash before with anything. I make models and have never needed to do a wash as I've been able to get the desired result with a rattler or a brush.

Any hints?

wow amazing wot some small mods do to the overall look.

it already looks a lot less 'dumpy'

Tom I got you version 1 as well - and looking at the complex curves on that face plate; I dotn envy yer matey.

nice progress though.

will call yer this weekend?

Adam - congrats on your purchase! I too am researching if I can do w/o a wash. but not holdoing on to too much hope.

thanks for the comments. i had a color made up so i did not have to do the green wash. i feel the wash method makes the armor and helmet too green. the camo is applied with brush and a peice of sponge to fade the camo out and i hit the helmet with black and tan spray piant , misting the helmet as i went.

adam here is the base color thread i started to get the right color.

http://forum.bikerscout.net/index.php?showtopic=5268

i just went to the paint store with reference pics blown up and matched it to a flat latex paint color.

the hard part is to find a color that looks sandy in the light and slightly green in the shadows.

here is the helmet as we stand. i think the helmet is starting to come together. i repainted my old helmet incase i do not have the 1.5 done in time for dragon con.

001-61.jpg

002-68.jpg

003-62.jpg

Guest shadowlova

I was busy with sanding and auto-filler today. Never used it on something other than a car before.......... :lol: Unfortunately the visor is warped so I had to put it on as best as I could. The imperfection should get lost in the paint job though, as I long as I put the camo in the right places. :)

24072009315.jpg

if you have a heat gun ,you can slowly, bend the inward warp out. you can also fill in the viser with bondo then sand some off the the top two edges. and push down on the viser when it is glued into place. the paint will hide alot on this helmet.

that is one of the reasons i stopped selling that helmet.

Guest shadowlova
if you have a heat gun ,you can slowly, bend the inward warp out. you can also fill in the viser with bondo then sand some off the the top two edges. and push down on the viser when it is glued into place. the paint will hide alot on this helmet.

that is one of the reasons i stopped selling that helmet.

It's alright, I'll be happy with it. :)

Besides, I've got to left hands and don't want to screw it up. :lol:

The warp actually looks worse in the pic than when you are in front of the helmet - cameras always do that for some reason.

I'll use this one as the learner and see about your latest versions later on. ;)

I'm easily pleased. Just ask my wife....................on second thought don't ask her. :lol:

here is the helmet thus far. i glued the viser in place so i can mold the helmet and viser as one piece. that means not having to go through with the viser attachment and should help with distortion of the viser in the mold. i am trying ot make this helmet build friendly as possible.

the helmet is getting there i hope to be done soon. mainly at this stage i am trying to fix symetry issuses. LOL

006-36.jpg

001-63.jpg

002-69.jpg

003-63.jpg

004-57.jpg

005-46.jpg

Guest shadowlova

A 1 piece front with visor onseems the way to go if you can do it. Symmetry is looking real good too. Looks like you've nailed it.

That bucket is looking sweeter every time a new pic comes up mate. :)

thanks

here is some update shots. pretty much done except the cleaning it up and getting it ready to mold. i am trying to mold it with most of the greebs on so it will cut down on build time.

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg043-1.jpg

041.jpg

SUCCESS!!!!! i made the mold over the last three days and i am getting some decent pulls. the helmet and the viser is one piece. it is a little heavier than the first helmet. but no more having to fool with visers and making them fit!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA i am a a happy camper. :)

002-71.jpg

003-65.jpg

005-47.jpg

006-37.jpg

here is some comparison shots of my first helmet, the ver. 1.5 and pghfett's helmet.

007-33.jpg

008-21.jpg