Kagamaru: Scout Build

I’ve had both and I would recommend the open collar with a Mock Turtleneck/Dickie. I personally find it a bit more comfortable and feel that heat vents better with the open collar.

https://www.amazon.com/Rothco-Mock-Turtleneck-Dickie-Black/dp/B07HNMC1HZ/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Armor has arrived!

This is where the fun begins. The search for the best construction videos is about to commence. Any recommendations?

I went ahead and sprung for my helmet to be pre-built. It’s still in progress. All soft parts are in, including boots and gloves. I have a 3D printed EC-17. Can the scouts carry the E-11? 

47 minutes ago, Kagamaru said:

Can the scouts carry the E-11? 

No, only what is listed in the CRL

48 minutes ago, Kagamaru said:

This is where the fun begins. The search for the best construction videos is about to commence. Any recommendations?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everything that requires specifics sizing and material is noted in the CRL. It’s always good to have it on hand for constant reference.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TB_Scout_trooper

This post here is also good to read through as you work on your build so that you can add Velcro and such as needed.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/w18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

Is there a really good guide on cutting out the holster bits? Like with measurements etc.? The video walk through kind of glosses over it quickly but it’s hard to see exactly where to cut. Or is it just “get it close enough.” 

Coming from the TK build where things were like “It must be exactly 3mm from the left edge…” 😂 I just want to make sure I’m getting it right for the scout. 

You're not the first person to come here with that experience, Bryan. The big difference is that multiple original TK's have been out and about with collectors and the information has been available. Not so much with the scout as only 2 helmets are in private collections (1 of which is up for auction soon), and maybe 1 or 2 sets of armour, including whatever bits Ira Keeler's estate may still have. So we have never really been able to see what the originals were like. RS props is the closest we have and even then, my understanding is that they were loaned the armour pieces so they don't even have them for reference (unless I'm mistaken).

Best guide is the photos we have in the Scoutopedia, other builds, and Mickey's video. Do your best and post photos up, like you have been if there are any issues.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dart said:

You're not the first person to come here with that experience, Bryan. The big difference is that multiple original TK's have been out and about with collectors and the information has been available. Not so much with the scout as only 2 helmets are in private collections (1 of which is up for auction soon), and maybe 1 or 2 sets of armour, including whatever bits Ira Keeler's estate may still have. So we have never really been able to see what the originals were like. RS props is the closest we have and even then, my understanding is that they were loaned the armour pieces so they don't even have them for reference (unless I'm mistaken).

Best guide is the photos we have in the Scoutopedia, other builds, and Mickey's video. Do your best and post photos up, like you have been if there are any issues.

Ah gotcha! Thank you. I’ll do my best. We have a few scouts in our garrison. I’m going to reach out for some photos. 

• Like 1

I think you're really close. Check out the Scoutopedia, select Boots and Holster from the dropdown menu and double-check your work. http://www.501stpathfinders.com/scoutopedia.php

Thoughts? The bottom gaps a little but it bends into place pretty tight. Will the rivet down there hold it to, or is that just decorative? Or I could take off a cm all the way around save for the bottom bit?

QDoaRSB.jpeg

ZHVSRyh.jpeg

zK989d8.jpeg

VwyDlvi.jpeg

The rivet is meant to hold the 1/2" tank elastic, which is optional. If you don't use the elastic, then yes it is decorative. 

The screen tanks flopped around a lot, but if you would prefer to anchor yours down so it doesn't move, then yes, you can rivet it to the back armor. Just make sure you don't need to take it off for any reason first. 

So I found what I thought was an extra piece in my box. It looked like the hand guards for the TK. Turns out it was the chin strap cup. I guess it has to be custom fit which is why the builder didn’t install it. Anyway I’m looking for installation tips if anyone has a photo to share. 

Thank you 🙏!

Also while I have all my build stuff out, what are some break points that I can go ahead and reinforce? I think the slots around the chest and back armor look like they may see a bit of stress in taking them on and off. Might double the abs around those corners. Anywhere else?

59 minutes ago, Kagamaru said:

So I found what I thought was an extra piece in my box. It looked like the hand guards for the TK. Turns out it was the chin strap cup. I guess it has to be custom fit which is why the builder didn’t install it. Anyway I’m looking for installation tips if anyone has a photo to share. 

Thank you 🙏!

The cup is optional and you are not required to use it.

The elastic is threaded through two cuts in the sides of the helmet "jowls".

helmet%20bottom%201.jpg

The elastic is then threaded through the center of the chin cup.

helmet%20bottom%202.jpg

pgZT91p.jpeg

RgXmjrs.jpeg

pgZT91p.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kagamaru said:

Also while I have all my build stuff out, what are some break points that I can go ahead and reinforce? I think the slots around the chest and back armor look like they may see a bit of stress in taking them on and off. Might double the abs around those corners. Anywhere else?

Common stress areas are the center top and bottom of the chest plate, the single rivet point on the sides of the belt, and the riveted corners of the holster.

• Thanks 1

Sorry for so many questions, I’m getting really close to finishing. It’s all very informative and everyone has been so helpful. Very much appreciated! 
In the construction video for the td, he says there will be a link to find the correct clips. Can someone point me to that link? Do they sell them at Home Depot, true value, or Lowe’s perchance? This is what I’m building today. 😭 

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Are you talking about the clips for the belt detonator?

Yes, and I just found the link! Going to see if there is something close local that I don’t have to have shipped. 

MLhYyP2.jpeg
NF2q4J1.jpeg

Found this conduit at the hardware store. Would this work? It’s the perfect size!

I would, of course, remove the ends and replace with the proper end caps.