Kagamaru: Scout Build

About to pull the trigger on the full costume. I built my TK from "scratch" meaning untrimmed vacuum parts etc. But for my scout I am more interested in getting going as quickly as possible. I see that Studio Creations has assembled armor for sale. Going to search the forums here for anyone trying to unload their kit possibly. Soft parts from KriptonTop. Boots from Imperial Boots or Crow Prop. Still working through the rest.

Links for my convenience:

Studio Creations  (Do they have the concave bolts for Lancer?)
Keep Trooping (Boots and Gloves)
KriptonTop (Soft Parts)
Pathfinder Forum Vendor Section

Build Video

• Like 1

SC does not provide concave bolts, only flat ones. Get the 3M style bolts here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BUMS8Y/?coliid=ILTCA2MHBZT97&colid=1FW2Z38AXTS5Q&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

SC does not provide concave bolts, only flat ones. Get the 3M style bolts here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BUMS8Y/?coliid=ILTCA2MHBZT97&colid=1FW2Z38AXTS5Q&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

This is the large gray disk on the hinge of the helmet correct?

So I spoke with SC and a few other folks and I’m not convinced their helmet is going to be the best option. It sounds like it’s iffy on whether or not it’s approvable because of a seam that bisects the top front to back. So does anyone have a sure fire vendor that sells ready to go armor and helmet that will be approved with minimal effort? I know I’ll have to fiddle with things like bolt replacements etc. and I’m fine with that, but otherwise I want to just get something wearable (almost approvable) out of the box. Any other suggestions?

Constructed properly, the studio creations helmet is approvable. It does run small, so it's not the best option for all scouts, but it is approvable.

If you want pre-assembled "ready to go" armor with little prep, then you might want to look at RS prop masters. 

https://www.rspropmasters.com/store/biker-scout/biker-scout-biker-scout/scout-trooper-armour-pre-order-copy/

Note that nothing is approved out of the box and approval ultimately depends on how everything fits on you. 

• Thanks 1

I can recommend RS. I do have a ready-to-wear-kit from RS myself and only had to change really little things (mostly softparts, which are from Imperial Boots) to get the approval.

Its not the cheapest solution though 🙃

• Thanks 1

RS are probably the best bet. I know they worked with IB to get the soft part issues sorted. 

my kit was from chef but he’s not taking on commissions now as he’s trying to catch up with a backlog 

Shows how good his stuff is I guess 

• Thanks 1

As best I know, there are no US-based vendors who offer everything fully built and ready to wear. Best you can do is get a fully trimmed kit and then do the rest of the strapping and build work.

Studio Creations and Mon Cal/Far Away Creations offer fully trimmed scout kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok soft parts, gloves and boots ordered! 
I’m going for ROTJ scout. I’m going to do the weathered look. Do I need white or off white pouches?

Also I just saw that WTF has his new kits available. Is it up to spec now? After looking at everything I might just go ahead and build it. I’m comfortable working with Walt but want to be sure his new kits are going to be approved. 

26 minutes ago, Kagamaru said:

Ok soft parts, gloves and boots ordered! 
I’m going for ROTJ scout. I’m going to do the weathered look. Do I need white or off white pouches?

Pouch color is not dependent on whether you've weathered the armor or not. Either is fine for both weathered or clean as long as you follow the CRL stipulations regarding pouch and strap coloration.

"If using off-white cummerbund pouches and side straps, the drop box straps are also off-white."

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Kagamaru said:

Also I just saw that WTF has his new kits available. Is it up to spec now? After looking at everything I might just go ahead and build it. I’m comfortable working with Walt but want to be sure his new kits are going to be approved. 

Walt has worked closely with us on his armor kit revisions, but we have yet to see it assembled and worn by anyone. It should be fine for basic clearance, as even his prior kit was okay for basic and this is an improvement on that kit.

• Thanks 1

So I am building a V1 kit from WTF for the wife with a helmet from another maker. I have parts but not a complete kit for myself from another 501st member that gave up on his build and sold it to me. Because mine isn't complete I'm going to go ahead and get the V2 kit and go step by step with the build and work towards Lancer. 

• Like 1

I’m going to go ahead and get his V2. I want to just get it ready to go but it doesn’t look as involved as the tk so I’m just going for it. I am getting the helmet premade by someone in his shop. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I’ll have a lot more posts as I work through the build. 

• Like 1

The Sierra Sneaker was used as the underboot for the biker scout boots in the film. They are no longer available and haven't been since the 80s. For level two you would have to make cuts into the underboot in order to approximate the pattern of the Sierra Sneaker. It doesn't have to exactly match, but it should approximate the pattern. 

Your other option is to get a set of Gio/Crowprops underboots or biker scout boots, which use the Sierra Sneaker sole pattern. 

• Thanks 1