WTF Scout Helmet v1 ban - effective 10 August 2024

BikerScout007

Hello Pathfinders and future Pathfinders!

Several months ago, a group of GMLs approached command about banning the WTF Scout helmet for approval.  They pointed out that it violates the "Helmet is true to the shape of original screen used helmet"  portion of the Level 1 CRL.

We are inclined to agree.  Command and the Armor team discussed the issue and the decision was unanimous:  the WTF helmet will be banned for Level 1 after a 6-month grace period.  Besides the overall inaccuracy of the helmet in appearance, we also note that it's an extremely challenging build, with many builders coming to us in frustration that they aren't able to get it to line up properly and some just giving up all together.  We are hoping this decision will be good for all parties:  builders, Walt's Trooper Factory, and the Legion as a whole.

Now you may be asking, how is this good for Walt?  I've been discussing this issue with him and he indicated to me that he was actually in the process of updating all his Scout parts.  Additionally, he let me know that he has the rights to the Lone Wolf helmet, which as some of you may know, was the gold standard helmet for accuracy before RS Props and EFX came along.  Now that begs the question... why wasn't he making those all along?  But I'll leave that to Walt.  

So what's the TL;DR with a WTF v.1 (as we will refer to them going forward)?

1. If you are already approved with a WTF v1, YOU'RE FINE.  Legion grandfathering protects the wearers of already approved gear for as long as they are Active.  HOWEVER -- if you sell your helmet to another costumer, that grandfathering no long applies and they would fall under the next step:
  2. If you already own a WTF helmet or are in the process of building one and you have NOT BEEN APPROVED YET, you have SIX MONTHS to get it done.  So that means you must be approved by 10 AUGUST 2024.   
  3. If you own a WTF helmet, but are RETIRED and want to reapply, you also have until 10 AUGUST 2024 to do so.  When you are RETIRED but want to go Active again, it's like you are applying for the first time and your costume must be up to current spec.
  4. After 10 AUGUST 2024, specific language will be added to the CRL stating that the WTF v1 is no longer acceptable for basic approval.

We hope this compromise works for the GMLs, the builders and Walt's Trooper Factory.

If you have any questions or need any help with your build, please let us know and we will do our best to help you get it done before the deadline.

Picture of the V1 helmet:

WTFHelmet.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

It should go without saying that this was the right decision for the betterment of the Legion and future Pathfinders.

Not to change subjects but now I'm curious if there are any details that can be shared about the Lone Wolf helmet? When did WTF acquire it and why are they not making them constantly now? I thought Lou (Darth Voorhees) had the LW molds now?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KaiserintheHood said:

It should go without saying that this was the right decision for the betterment of the Legion and future Pathfinders.

Not to change subjects but now I'm curious if there are any details that can be shared about the Lone Wolf helmet? When did WTF acquire it and why are they not making them constantly now? I thought Lou (Darth Voorhees) had the LW molds now?

You'd have to ask Walt about that.  I have no answers.  

PS.  LW has licensed out his molds to a few makers.  I believe CFO uses them with the Strider kits.  

Out of curiosity, does this also apply for the WTF Rebels Animated Version of the scout helmet?

The picture posted is of a more Rotj verison and does indeed look diffrent then other Rotj scout helmets I've seen but wording of this says just "WTF Scout Helmets" so want to make sure that it's referring to just live action helmets and those associated builds.

Not that there are many of us Rebels Scouts nor is it a costume that is as popular, but I would like to have that clarified in the off chance someone talks with me about the kit I have. I'm 99% sure that I know the answer since I think the Rebels Scout CRL was made with his kit, but I don't want to assume anything 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coolajxl said:

Out of curiosity, does this also apply for the WTF Rebels Animated Version of the scout helmet?

The picture posted is of a more Rotj verison and does indeed look diffrent then other Rotj scout helmets I've seen but wording of this says just "WTF Scout Helmets" so want to make sure that it's referring to just live action helmets and those associated builds.

Not that there are many of us Rebels Scouts nor is it a costume that is as popular, but I would like to have that clarified in the off chance someone talks with me about the kit I have. I'm 99% sure that I know the answer since I think the Rebels Scout CRL was made with his kit, but I don't want to assume anything 😂

No not at all!  This is only for the ROTJ style 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am going to assume that this does NOT apply to the Remnant Scout (Mandalorian Scout) kits, only the ROTJ scouts?
Especially since I was under the understanding that it was a WTF kit that was used for the show.

Just asking for clarification given I know someone that might be making one and that was the direction we were going to go with it.

35 minutes ago, deadpool5150 said:

I am going to assume that this does NOT apply to the Remnant Scout (Mandalorian Scout) kits, only the ROTJ scouts?
Especially since I was under the understanding that it was a WTF kit that was used for the show.

Just asking for clarification given I know someone that might be making one and that was the direction we were going to go with it.

FYI, The WTF helmet does not appear on the Mandalorian TV show. The helmets used in the show were the EFX scout helmets. I recommend you pass on the WTF helmet for any Mando builds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, deadpool5150 said:

As Chopper says, it DOES apply to this CRL as well.  Any CRL that uses the ROTJ Scout style helmet (so ROTJ, JFO, Mando, etc.)  It would not of course apply to the Rebels Scout, which uses a totally different helmet (also made by Walt, btw).

But again, the person in question has until AUGUST 10TH to complete their application if they are planning on using Walts V1 helmet.

This does not apply to the V1 armor, but as I said above, Walt is phasing that out on his own and replacing it with a much better set.  That has more to do with his molds wearing out after 7 years of use.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• BikerScout007 changed the title to WTF Scout Helmet v1 ban - effective 10 August 2024

Hi Micah! We really can't adjudicate it without seeing it. We do know that Walt is updating his bucks (molds) but we won't really be able to provide any insight until that is completed and there is a finished product. Please note that it's not the armor that will be banned but the helmet only. Walt has been working with the command staff on updates so we're looking forward to his changes. You can find a lot of information on the various armor vendors in the Biker Scout HQ here:

As always the armorer staff is here to answer your questions so please feel free to post any questions you might have.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just to second Pete here, just know that the Detachment has been working very closely with Walt on his new armor kit.  But it all depends on the final product.  From what I've seen from his molds though, he should be good to go

As for the helmet, Walt will be doing a license of the Lone Wolf, which, before RS Props and EFX came along, was the top-of-the-line, must-have Scout bucket.  (Why he was never doing these from the beginning I will never know :D )  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2