I'm going for a Mando Lancer build and am awaiting my WTF kit.  In the meantime, I ordered a KS helmet.  I received it and it seems to have been a bad pull on the back piece.  My only option given was to return the entire helm for a refund.  As it's going to be dirtied up anyway, what's the consensus here that I could still get Lancer approval with this?

IMG_20240209_162930765~3.jpg

So KS told you to return the entire helmet b/c of a bad pull on one part?

If it's visible then yeah, it would be an issue for L2.

I do think it's definitely fixable. Were you planning on paining the helmet white first? Sand it and use some surface filler, then paint.

You could also sand the streaks down and then buff the area with increasingly higher grits to get it back to a polish. You'd need to invest in getting the kits below and do a lot of wet sanding.

https://www.amazon.com/Sandpaper-Assortment-9x3-6-Automotive-Sanding/dp/B074VYL3M6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1EEKPT76OHEXQ&keywords=high+grit+sandpaper&qid=1707574368&sprefix=high+grit+sandpaper%2Caps%2C279&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/AUSTOR-Sandpaper-Assortment-Automotive-Furniture/dp/B08JJ35RYH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1EEKPT76OHEXQ&keywords=high%2Bgrit%2Bsandpaper&qid=1707574368&sprefix=high%2Bgrit%2Bsandpaper%2Caps%2C279&sr=8-7&th=1

That just seems like a lot of work.  And since the vendor only claims this doesn't "meet my expectations" my only option is to return the entire helmet.  I am very disappointed with his response to his defective craftsmanship, especially since this bucket is the one I selected for my larger melon.  Thanks for the advice.

It's unfortunate that KS wants you to return the whole helmet. There are some options to fix the helmet, and yes, it will involve some work. Your other option is to return it and get a replacement that hopefully has a better pull on the back.

Some guidance -- give the thread below a read, because we see a lot of troopers get caught up with Level 2 issues, when they haven't even gotten basic approval yet. Get cleared first!

The reason I'm aiming at Lancer from the start is that there are some things I don't want to rework.  Mainly the soft parts.  My plan is to build them accurately the first time.  Other than that, it's mostly proper weathering, from what I can tell.  I have to keep looking for a helmet vendor as KS is only offering me a refund at this point.  I'm apparently an unsatisfied customer.  Great first experience from a reputable vendor, I guess. 

Scott (KS) is a decent guy and he'll do right by you. This is the first I've seen or heard about this kind of defect, and while it could be filled, sanded and repainted, at least he's willing to refund you.