Galactic Armory 3D ROTJ Scout Model Assessment

Below is a review of the current Galactic Armory ROTJ Scout 3D model files. Please review this before beginning your GA build as there are many items that do not currently meet the CRL. These can be adjusted and fixed to meet the CRL with some work by any of you willing to build this kit.

With all this being said we are working closely with GA and they have agreed to update the files to more closely meet the current ROTJ Scout CRL. The timeframe is still TBD but most likely it will be soon.

If you are unsure about something on this list please just ask and we will do our best to help make sense of it.

Galactic Armory ROTJ Scout Trooper CRL Adjustments (01-11-24)

Helmet
•    Edges around visor are a bit sharp and should be softened.
•    When visor is viewed in profile there is a slight wavy curve, this should be straight.
•    Bolts should have a softer edge to the concave center.  (Figure H-01 & H-02)
•    Snout Greeble is not accurate.  (Figure H-03)
•    Helmet bolts could be separated for use of other style bolts.
•    Front edge of dome just barely meets up with the visor and could be a bit longer.
•    Snout area could be made flat to allow for other snout greebles to be used.
Shoulder Armor
•    Top middle of shoulder comes to a bit of a point and should be more rounded.
Chest Armor
•    Grey box area should have smoother edges to give a softer appearance.
•    Chest and back shoulder bridges are “keyed”. This is not unacceptable, just odd.
Back Armor
•    Tank is a bit too shallow, should protrude more in the back.  (Figure B-01, B-02 & B-03)
•    Smooth the curve on the area between the shoulder bridges and the sides.  (Figure H-04)
Belt & Hip Box
•    Cutouts at rear for straps should not exist. Only a single rivet hole should be present.  (Figure BL-01 & BL-02)
•    The edges of boxes could smooth out a bit more to give a softer appearance.
•    Rectangles between boxes are not necessary, it’s just an artifact of pulling ABS kits.  (Figure BL-03 & BL-04)
•    Strap slot opening on hip boxes is a bit large. It should a be a slight indentation with a slot in the middle. (Figure HB-01, HB-02, HB-03 & HB-04)
Thermal Detonator
•    Greebles should be separate pieces.
•    Remove “Zip Tie” section in the middle and replace with 2 holes on top and bottom of where “Zip Tie” was. (Figure TD-02)
•    Area above larger greeble should not indent upwards on upper lip.  (Figure TD-01)
•    Tube should have a slight curve.  (Figure TD-04 & TD-05)
•    Endcaps should be flat with a concave surface. No indentation.
•    Rectangle Greeble is not accurate. (Figure TD-02 & TD-03)
Knee Armor
•    Needs holes for rivets.  (Figure K-01)
Holster
•    Should appear to be 2 separate parts, the main body and the straps that go around the blaster.
•    The strap thickness is also really thick. Not sure what's needed for structural integrity but the actual holster strap was only the thickness of an abs sheet.
•    Strap should not protrude below the bottom line where it fits into the main body.  (Figure BH-01)
•    Oval embossed area on the front of strap should be slightly wider. (Figure BH-02 & BH-03)
•    5 Vents on strap should be cut through. (Figure BH-02 & BH-03)
•    The rear side of the holster is very angular and boxy, whereas the screen holster is more graduated. 
•    There should be rivet holes in each corner of the holster body.

Link to Figure Images

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Is any of this a deal breaker for level 1? I’ve been working on the armor and helmet, all from GA.  Here is what I’ve kept/done…

helmet, rounded outside upper edges of visor. Added piece to dome to meet visor better.  Replacing snout with one from @MrPoopie.

Using rear vent stickers from @Plugger. Rest of stickers from trooper bay. 

chest, left as is.

back, printed mandalorian instead of ROTJ, so had to raise back edge above tank.

tank, left as is other than drilling hole in bottom for elastic strap that goes around back and gets riveted to top

shoulder bells, @MrPoopie

biceps, used tbits from @MrPoopie, slightly scaled down to fit GA armor

forearms, @MrPoopie

Belt and TD, @MrPoopie

hip boxes, left as is

knees, drilled rivet holes, rest as is

holster, drilled rivet holes, rest as is

9mNRCba.jpeg
hYNFfxv.jpeg
Er7k4aW.jpeg

I know a lot comes down to fit. But I’ve invested a TON of time into finishing this stuff and don’t want to have to redo anything that I “think” is done at the end. I’d rather get it over with now…

Thanks everyone!

The things that stand out to me are below.

Chest & Back:

• Are the side strap sections indented near the slots? This is not directly in the CRL but the look of the original is still part of the CRL.

Holster:

• Shape is not right
  • missing slots cut out (Lvl 2). This is not mandatory but if you ever decide to go for Lvl 2, replacing the holster can be a pain since you'll need t o drill out the rivets.

The rest currently seems like it will pass Lvl 1.

• Like 1

So first part. There is no indentation, it was “covered” up. See photos below. After looking at more photos, should I do the opposite and remove the part that covered the indent and sand down outward more to make it even so the strap essentially lays in the indent even with the back piece?

Second part, easy fix. I actually already printed your holster print, just need to paint. The galactic armory ec17 surprisingly fits it nicely.

yw5MWpv.jpeg

fQALiih.jpeg

Hi! I have a few questions:
1. I can't notice the slight wavy curve mentioned for the helmet and was wondering if there is a visualization to compare and see where that sneaky curve is

2. I think you forgot to include the H-04 figure/picture, it seems to be missing from the link you sent

3. The GA tank seems to even/align itself with the top of the back armor, is that OK for approval?

4. The back armor also comes with holes so the tank can fit itself in. Should that be kept or is it best to go with the back-straps instead?

Thanks for this assessment!! :)

8 hours ago, LookBehindYou said:

So first part. There is no indentation, it was “covered” up. See photos below. After looking at more photos, should I do the opposite and remove the part that covered the indent and sand down outward more to make it even so the strap essentially lays in the indent even with the back piece?

Second part, easy fix. I actually already printed your holster print, just need to paint. The galactic armory ec17 surprisingly fits it nicely.

If it's covered up and not visible then it should not be an issue. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrMike said:

Hi! I have a few questions:
1. I can't notice the slight wavy curve mentioned for the helmet and was wondering if there is a visualization to compare and see where that sneaky curve is

2. I think you forgot to include the H-04 figure/picture, it seems to be missing from the link you sent

3. The GA tank seems to even/align itself with the top of the back armor, is that OK for approval?

4. The back armor also comes with holes so the tank can fit itself in. Should that be kept or is it best to go with the back-straps instead?

Thanks for this assessment!! :)

You may want to wait for more reputable info but my understanding is the there has to be some area between top of tank and top of back.  I added some plastic to the top of my back to address.  As far as the pins/holes I think that’s up to you whether you use them or not. But either way the rivets (both top with visible washer and bottom) and elastic straps have to be seen whether actually functional or not.

heres some pics of my back and tank. Haven’t added the rivets any strap yet…

P5GyFtt.jpeg

QL24qGK.jpeg

• Like 1

First time builder here. Quick question,

I bought the GA files without any intent of getting approval. However, I figured if I’m going this far I might as well go for it. My question is what parts are (with proper sizing) currently meet the CRL? Might as well get what I can done before the updates. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My question about your comprehensive review of GA files is are you implying they dont match up to the original movie accurate armor they made long ago?   If one is going for just level one non movie screen accurate but crl approveable that are these files still wrong?  I trying to understand what all you pointed out with the GA files.    I did purchase these file awhile ago with the intent to get approved, that said I dont care if its level one or two... just another approved costume I can troop in. Im going the way of all satin black shadow scout style and I know there is a difference in the look of the all white vs all black. I have already had these files printed and painted everything to what I am lead to belive they are in compliance to shadow scout the crl. I did notice some of the greeblies were not accurate and remodeled them myself to look like what others look like, but I've noticed those same greeblies ( forearm, grill) are different among some of the different vac form venders out there. So who's right and who's not? You cant tell me from one vac form vendor to another that every piece thats made is 100% the exact same? Even other 3d modelers its impossible for all of them to be 100% exact. Some  items could look wrong by how one percieves them or how a photo was taken. I didnt see any mentions in the crl stating that the back tank for example has to be a exact width or depth? Same with how GA chest and back meet at the top of the shoulder, that spot where they meet is covered anyway by fabic and you will never know if they key together or are two blunt ends. Dont take these questions the wrong way, Im not trying to attack you Im just trying to understand  what all you pointed out in your review if GA's files does it make these files not approval in any crl biker or shadow scout level one?  I do apprceiate the long and extencive work you put into reviewing GA's files. 

2 hours ago, ScottTubbs said:

My question about your comprehensive review of GA files is are you implying they dont match up to the original movie accurate armor they made long ago?   If one is going for just level one non movie screen accurate but crl approveable that are these files still wrong?  I trying to understand what all you pointed out with the GA files.    I did purchase these file awhile ago with the intent to get approved, that said I dont care if its level one or two... just another approved costume I can troop in. Im going the way of all satin black shadow scout style and I know there is a difference in the look of the all white vs all black. I have already had these files printed and painted everything to what I am lead to belive they are in compliance to shadow scout the crl. I did notice some of the greeblies were not accurate and remodeled them myself to look like what others look like, but I've noticed those same greeblies ( forearm, grill) are different among some of the different vac form venders out there. So who's right and who's not? You cant tell me from one vac form vendor to another that every piece thats made is 100% the exact same? Even other 3d modelers its impossible for all of them to be 100% exact. Some  items could look wrong by how one percieves them or how a photo was taken. I didnt see any mentions in the crl stating that the back tank for example has to be a exact width or depth? Same with how GA chest and back meet at the top of the shoulder, that spot where they meet is covered anyway by fabic and you will never know if they key together or are two blunt ends. Dont take these questions the wrong way, Im not trying to attack you Im just trying to understand  what all you pointed out in your review if GA's files does it make these files not approval in any crl biker or shadow scout level one?  I do apprceiate the long and extencive work you put into reviewing GA's files. 

Hey Scott

First off, I've upgraded you to 501st Legion access, welcome!

Second - some slight variances in armor from various kit designers is one thing, but several of these 3D file makers add details that aren't in the original kit, or forget to include them, like the way GA's first draft left the rectangle indent off the chest armor.  Or the way several 3D helmet designers try to put real vents into the helmets or don't separate the tank from the back armor.  So while the overall shape may be right, they fall down on the details, some of which are needed for Level 1.

As we are fond of saying around here:  propmakers don't decide our standards, we do.  And our standards are dictated by the film sources, not by mistakes 3D modelers make.  GA tends to rip his files from the Battlefront games, and those games take a lot of shortcuts and liberties with the source material.  Sure they might look fine on your TV, but not so accurate in real life.

What Justin did with his review is to give GA pointers toward making his armor as accurate as possible.  There's nothing at all wrong with that and if we can get a source of 3D files out there can be used for Level 1 and Level 2, I don't see the harm.  Especially if GA is more than happy to make the changes, as he has been thus far.  

But here's the thing -- you're making a Shadow Scout.  This Detachment has no authority on that CRL, that's the purview of Spec Ops.  Spec Ops may be totally fine with the original GA files as-is (though I find it hard to believe they'd be okay with a chest piece that was missing the rectangular indent).  So you really need to check with them, as well as your local GML, to see if there are any changes you need to make.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

• Like 2

Yes it does and I do agree with you and again I wasn't meaning any harm or disrespect. The files I have from GA must be his most recent updates.  The chest piece does have the rectangle indent. The back tank when placed on the back armor does appear to be raised up a bit do it looks separated.  I guess reading his finding I knew I wasn't in the spec ops forum but figured it's the same armor just painted black.  I tongue like the other above and filled in the lines and markings on the back tank and will use gloss black vinyl. I knew GA tends to used images from Battle front. I agree most the files I've used of GA tend to need modifications to make them right.  Thanks for the upgrade.  I'm new to this group and like most groups everybody does things a little different. Again my apologies if I came off crossed.  I'm just trying to be clear on things and not waste a ton of time building to be told it's wrong. My first approved costume took nearly 9 months to get approved, but being I was the CRL for it I can understand trying to get the details right the first time for everybody can take some time.  

• Thanks 1

Just got an email from GA yesterday, hes updated the files to hopefully be closer to approval. I haven’t had a chance to look at them yet as I’m way past printing and hopefully made enough changes and swapped pieces for approval on my own kit, but just wanted to give a heads up.

• Like 2

I too received the updated files. Simple I had to reprint the tank on the back and its greeble. Reprinted the shoulder armor too since the new ones are not as pointy.  Filled the indention on the ends of the belt easy fix so now no slot is present, and a single rivet will be only seen to hold the strap. Though they fixed where the front and back armor meet at the shoulder (keyway thing) didn't see no need to change the armor since its covered up anyway. Now it's time to add all the straps to the pieces.  Yes, I'm doing a shadow scout but basically its all the same but all black. 

• Like 2