Blaster?

So I hope that I'm not poking any hornets nests by asking but I am curious, how come there isn't any blaster in the CRL? 😅

I know that this is a not as popular a kit (Last I checked on the holocron there are only 12 in the legion) but in the diffrent threads there are some who have built, or at least started to build, the blaster as the animated scout definitely is shown with a blaster.

All be it, a specific animated pistol is diffrent then the more commonly found Rotj scout blaster, but considering how long the show and CRL has been around I imagine someone has completed one by now that is screen accurate and would be good to add to the CRL?

On that note, if there is anything I missed in the forums or just don't know about when it comes to the blaster, I'd love to know about it! Especially if it involves a way to get the blaster or a 3D model someone has made so that I can make it for myself! Which is what I mainly want out of asking 😂 I know blasters are optional, but a trooper without a blaster feels almost naked 😂

Hope that makes sense!

4 hours ago, Coolajxl said:

SI know that this is a not as popular a kit (Last I checked on the holocron there are only 12 in the legion)

Well you kinda answered your own question here ;)

This one was added to the Pathfinders roster the year before I became DL, so I wasn't behind the scenes in getting it done.  But my guess, based on my own experience drafting CRLs, is that one wasn't ready at the time the CRL was being made.  The biggest thing that holds up CRLs is a lack of photos of the items in the CRL, and as a blaster is only optional, they could get approved by the Legion without one.  And with only a few folks having completed it, no one has come forward with a blaster for this CRL.

Now if you have a blaster and some screenshots from "Rebels" (I have to admit, I bailed on that show after the helicopter lightsabers), we'd be happy to take the next steps and get it added.

If you're asking someone to create one to add to the CRL.... that's a much bigger ask.  You'd have to find someone willing to do it.  The Detachment doesn't create props itself to list in CRLs.  I haven't seen the blaster, but I'm guessing it's something other than the EC-17 -- and probably doesn't already exist?   So you're asking someone to spend the time to create something that there is very little market for.  

I hope this long-winded explanation answers your question!  Bottom line, if you want it added, get me some pics of one! :) 

• Like 3

Gotcha! @BikerScout007

Yeah I was pretty sure I knew the answers to most of the questions I asked, but thought I'd ask them anyways just in case I was mistaken.

I also want to clarify, that I'm not opposed to modeling, making the physical prop myself, and helping with adding it to the CRL. And considering that my end goal is that I want one for my own costume, that's most likely what I will be doing 😂 But if someone already had some groundwork, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes or do work that didn't need to be redone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Coolajxl said:

Gotcha! @BikerScout007

Yeah I was pretty sure I knew the answers to most of the questions I asked, but thought I'd ask them anyways just in case I was mistaken.

I also want to clarify, that I'm not opposed to modeling, making the physical prop myself, and helping with adding it to the CRL. And considering that my end goal is that I want one for my own costume, that's most likely what I will be doing 😂 But if someone already had some groundwork, I didn't want to step on anyone's toes or do work that didn't need to be redone.

As far as I know... you are clear for takeoff.  Hate to say it, but interest in this costume died off after "Rebels" ended and was taken up by "The Mandalorian" Scout.  Baby Grogu wins every time :D 

But by all means, let me know when you have something!

• Like 1

About the blaster itself, I guess I should have worded what I said differently. Because it is actually just an regular EC-17 but in an animated style. So the proportions are diffrent.

It will take me a minute to model and make the weapon, but in the meantime here are some reference pictures.

I will also work to gather some more as well and post them below.

This one is from Star Wars Rebels - S4 E15 "Family Reunion - And Farewell"

vqv8O82.jpg

From Star Wars Rebels - S3 E5 "Hera's Heroes"

EgapDlc.jpg

From Star Wars Rebels - S4 E12 "Wolves And A Door"

AC9zO7G.jpg

The blaster does go inside the boot holster as seen in several parts of this scene. Especially towards the end.

3 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

As far as I know... you are clear for takeoff.  Hate to say it, but interest in this costume died off after "Rebels" ended and was taken up by "The Mandalorian" Scout.  Baby Grogu wins every time :D 

But by all means, let me know when you have something!

Yeah, that makes sense 😂 Especially with The Mandalorian having the iconic scene of Grogu being punched in the sack 😂

Well now that I am looking it, it's different in other respects from the film EC-17.   It's really a redesign.   

rebelsvsec17.jpg?rlkey=0pwyfqdxe3ht4l5hv

If you're willing to put in the work to make that blaster, then definitely go for it.  But it's going to be some work

On the other hand, we could probably just add the standard EC-17 to this CRL.   I can talk with command about it and see how everyone feels.

• Like 1

I hadn't compared them directly side by side yet, but after seeing that picture, redesign is a better word for it. It definitely has a lot more differences then I had thought.

As of this moment, I'm still interested in putting in the work to make it. I've been wanting to get back into modeling anyways as I haven't done as much as I used to do in high school. So it will be a learning curve and I expect plenty of revisions 😂

I'll let you know if anything changes though!

• Thanks 2

Before you model one yourself, touch base with the other Rebel Scouts. I swear I saw one holding a proper Rebels blaster in his action shot.

• Like 1

Looks like @PropReplicator2 was working on a model of the blaster back in ‘18.  See if he ever completed it.  

• Like 1

I did also join the WTF Facebook group and asked there as well. Walt said there was only one person who he knew who made the model for the blaster. I reached out to him to see if I can buy it, I'll keep ya'll updated though!

Success!

I was put in touch with Augusto Albahaca on Facebook who modeled the blaster (He also has 3D models of the armor that I think he worked with Walt on creating the casting molds for?)

And so I bought the file from him!

GVQnlnG.png

I was worried about the hole in the front middle, but checking back in a scene it is there!

iK0LlIh.png

I'll start printing tommorow!

• Like 3

Awesome! Once you have it finished take some photos of it and send them to Bikerscout007 and Chopper to review for inclusion in the CRL as an optional accessory.

• Like 1

Yes hit me up once you have them.  And make sure you sand that thing down really well!  I don't want to see any print lines on it! :D 

• Like 1

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

Yes hit me up once you have them.  And make sure you sand that thing down really well!  I don't want to see any print lines on it! :D 

I'm planning on resin printing it so that it'll hopefully have even less print lines then a PLA print!

However when I started the resin printer ran into an issue, so now I'm fixing that 😂

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slight update!

So the bad news is the resin printer was a gooner. Someone had moved it with a full tank of resin still on and it had spilled in it and the damage was worse then we though.

Good news is, it's not my printer and we have another which I've used instead 😂 I work at the Makerspace on my Universities campus, so I have access to all sorts of creative machines. Including the resin printers. I was hoping to use the larger Elegoo Saturn 2, but since it was broken I used the Mars 3 instead.

I will say, that I'm not an expert in resin printing by any means. My expertise is with FDM Printing, so I've only used the resin printer a handful of times. But I know it gets better quality so I want to try it out!

So this has taken some trial and error to get down and I'm still not done yet.

The files came in 3 grouped together sets as seen here when they are thrown in a slicer. The handle pieces are part 1, the mid section pieces are part 2, and the scope and nozzles pieces are part 2.

EG12Tyw.png

Because they are grouped together, I had to separate some pieces from the cluster. For that I used a free software called Mesh Mixer and used the Plane Cut Tool to slice the groups up into individual pieces. I had originally done this to a couple pieces just so they could fit on the build plate, but I later went back and did it to all the pieces when I did the second round of prints because I needed to mess with them.

So these are how I oriented them for the first round of prints. I would NOT recommend doing it this way, but I'm showing it anyways.

CCyfG1W.png

fOth5c0.png

xvHNU1I.png

The reason I would not recommend it this way is because most of the pieces I printed failed in some way.

For example some pieces warped like this one:

tqZkIBi.jpg

and others created round edges that should have been flat

RiJBIQC.jpg

I talked with a resin printing expert at my school and the mistakes I made was that I didn't hollow them and I didn't orient them in a way that the weight would be better distributed and so it wouldn't warp.

This is how I oriented my second round of prints. Improvements I made from last time was angling them all sideways, making them hollow, adding holes so that excess resin can drain out, and added more supports.

CZBdNVe.png

OUBaSJx.png

5IdmM81.png

Also notice here in the last picture how the part looks diffrent then in previous pictures. That's because I noticed after the original prints how the front barrel piece and the "rail" piece are supposed to slide in together but I was having an issue with doing that. (the warping of the print didn't help with that either)

iF8zJvL.jpg

So I carefully lined up the two models and fused them together as one object, so that way they fit together.

The second round of prints are actively printing at the moment so I will update later on, but just wanted to compile things while I had a moment!

• 3 weeks later...

Update and change of plans.

So second round of prints turned out alright, but I realized that it would be more trouble then it's worth to deal with gluing all the individual pieces together and making them fit. Luckily I had asked the model maker if he could send me put together version of the blaster

So I asked a buddy of mine, who has access to a larger FDM 3D Printer, if he could print it for me as a whole unit!

He did and this is it so far! Definitely has very visible layer lines which I will have to work on smoothing out, but I like it!

https://imgur.com/5GyrcBQ

I need to pick it up from him, but I'm excited to get working on it!

• Like 1