Armor vendor

John W

I saw a builder on Etsy . Montcal . It appears their kits are finished but just need assembly. It also stated the holster and rear tank have had things done where newbies like me would possibly fudge it up . Has anyone utilized this kit for a first build ? Thanks 🙏 

MonCal is one of the most reputable Scout suppliers out there and have been putting Scouts in armor for well over a decade.  You are in good hands. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John W said:

Thank you sir . Just trying to buy goid stuff the first time 

We keep a list of vetted Vendors here:

But always feel free to ask!  Better to only make one purchase :) 

• Like 1

@John W
I'm actually got my set of MonCal Armor right before Christmas and have been quite happy with it....
ROTJ-Scout-Trooper-Armor.jpg?rlkey=23fw5

(The Helmet is from New Image Props)

A few of the Scouts Troopers in my local garrison use this vendor and have been very pleased with his work, and recommended their kit. I've also heard MonCal's name brought up quite a few times in the Star Wars world of cosplay. If all your after is basic approval, this armor should suit you well. I've only encountered the following issues so far with MonCal's Armor:
1) The MonCal Thermal Detonator - doesn't seem to be up to the Level II CRL Standards.
 a) Specifically the shape (Long and Short sides)
 b) The large greeblie is mirrored from what it should be.

c) The End Caps should be Concave

Here is what I got from MonCal for the large greeblie...

MonCal-s-TD-Greeblie.jpg?rlkey=c8yp8nzzq

(Take note of the cylindrical looking piece - it should be on the other side)

...And here is what it should look like (I used MS Paint to mirror the image 😉).
MonCal-s-TD-Greeblie-Mirrored.jpg?rlkey=

Though this was an easy fix as another vendor on Etsy (Seven Cat Studios) sells the correct looking piece, which I've since purchased and installed....
7CS-Thermal-Detonator-Greeblie.jpg?rlkey

But even after all that, I ended up buying a Thermal Detonator from Studio Creations as it had not only the correct Greeblie, but also the Concave end caps and the long and shorts sides.

SC-TD-Kit.jpg?rlkey=mduok3hbz9jcpw07yc3u

....Again, this shouldn't be a big deal if you're not looking at Level II certification. I'll keep my MonCal Thermal Detonator as a back up (always good to have a back up 😉). Thermal Detonator aside, MonCal's Kit is an awesome kit! Additionally, I think this is one of the thicker kits you can find which is formed at a thickness of 0.09" ABS - it seems quite durable and should last a great many years. And I was super grateful that they offer the kit fully trimmed and the holster comes assembled for a mere $62.00 more than their untrimmed version. For me, spending that extra little bit saved me time and headaches.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Cheers,

-Iron

• Like 4

Iron , I purchased the MontCal this am . The back tank assembly and holster made it worth it to me . I don’t know if I will ever move to 501 st stuff but I want the correct stuff if I do . I got a black series scout helmet for an 18th century immersion event . A fellow reenactor is a Star Wars geek and shows up with a Mando helmet or Capt Rex with his 18th century stuff. I was like gonna do the same . Do I got the black series helmet . It went from just the helmet to well damn I am gonna rock this for Halloween . A few years ago I thought of 501 but I thought I have a room just for 18th century. What am I thinking .. well I got armor coming 😬😬😃😃👍👍

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 6:56 PM, BikerScout007 said:

MonCal is one of the most reputable Scout suppliers out there and have been putting Scouts in armor for well over a decade.  You are in good hands. 

I ordered my armor this am before my workday started 

• Like 1

@John W

Ah….so you’re the one! When I tried to go for the link I couldn’t find it in his store. I found the untrimmed kit, but wanted the link to send the link to the trimmed kit!

I went to my purchased items on Etsy and got the link that way. Yeah, you won’t be disappointed. And good man buying the trimmed kit! I tell ya, and I don’t think I’m alone here (looking at you @BikerScout007  😉 ) but I dislike trimming and sanding. And from just looking at the untrimmed kit, there’s plenty of that to do. I mean some people like doing that kinda thing and that totally cool,  but that’s not for me.

Have fun!

Best,

-Iron

• Like 1
  • Haha 1