Printing with soft/flexible PLA vs TPU

I haven't even received my 3D printer yet but I am immersed in its world already. I have MrPoopies 3D files which include files for TPU parts. I am just reading about soft/flexible PLA and wonder if it would be better or worse than TPU. Does anyone have any experience or advice? 

2 hours ago, Plasma said:

I haven't even received my 3D printer yet but I am immersed in its world already. I have MrPoopies 3D files which include files for TPU parts. I am just reading about soft/flexible PLA and wonder if it would be better or worse than TPU. Does anyone have any experience or advice? 

@MrPoopie?

2 hours ago, Plasma said:

I don't personally have any experience with flexible PLA but in theory it should be usable. If it's for the Patrol Trooper you should print the normal "hard" versions of the parts with flexible PLA instead of the parts specifically designed for TPU. The TPU parts are meant to be printed flat and then curved into the proper shapes. They can't be printed with supports. Flexible PLA should give you the same basic rigidity as normal PLA but with some added "give" to it. It doesn't sound like a bad idea honestly but I would try printing out a couple of smaller test parts to see how to print it as well as it's range of movement. You'll also want to see how well it sands and paints. Flexible parts need to be painted differently than normal rigid parts otherwise the paint will crack and flake.

I'll be curious to check out your test parts, this seems like an interesting avenue to explore.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

I'll be curious to check out your test parts, this seems like an interesting avenue to explore.

Im curious too and when ready, will test it. I read that painting TPU can be difficult but that this flexible filament is more like PLA and hence easier to paint...and perhaps more durable. So many choices.... :)

• Like 1

https://sionnachstudios.com/tutorial-finishing-rubber-armor-and-props/

Although it's not something I've personally done ,the link above gives good advice on painting TPU and may? Possibly help with flexible PLA .

I must admit I've not seen many people mention or use flexible PLA, although it does sound interesting!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandrake said:

https://sionnachstudios.com/tutorial-finishing-rubber-armor-and-props/

Although it's not something I've personally done ,the link above gives good advice on painting TPU and may? Possibly help with flexible PLA .

I must admit I've not seen many people mention or use flexible PLA, although it does sound interesting!

Thanks. That video will come in very handy in the future :)

• Thanks 1

I'm interested if you can locate some flexible PLA as it's not something I've really seen mentioned much,at all .

I'm interested if you can locate some flexible PLA as it's not something I've really seen mentioned much,at all .

Amazon carries it in various brands with prices ranging from mid 20s to mid 30s USD.

https://www.amazon.com/FLASHFORGE-Flexible-Printer-Filament-Spool/dp/B09V7HXGKR/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=1GSE5SEQAK59N&keywords=fpla&qid=1704498941&sprefix=fpla%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-4

On 1/5/2024 at 11:58 PM, Aradun said:

Strangely,it's not available in the UK,at all, anywhere,as far as I can tell only TPU is available,why that is I have no idea!!

Obviously, for whatever reason,it's region specific, if it's available or not.I have various friends dotted around Europe that don't seem to be able to source any easily ,but perhaps Plasma might live in a area that it's available???

23 hours ago, Mandrake said:

Obviously, for whatever reason,it's region specific, if it's available or not.I have various friends dotted around Europe that don't seem to be able to source any easily ,but perhaps Plasma might live in a area that it's available???

Ahh, the joys of living abroad. I found these:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Flashforge-Flexible-Filament-1kg-Grey-522607.html?Currency=EUR&source=googleads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiA1-6sBhAoEiwArqlGPrZuOvaqprzDyYpNqDGCnXWLGebBAFIgfqZJY1cZv2NojSoYLkaMhBoCUZkQAvD_BwE

and

https://www.ubuy.co.it/en/product/YNBED2EO-ataraxia-art-pla-3d-printer-filament-1-75mm-with-resealable-vacuum-storage-bag-exact-searchable-pant

The first (Im not sure it is Flex PLA and not TPU) is from Poland - so no extra charges for me here in Italy . The second is from the USA, so lots of loverly charges for everyone. When the time comes ie when my printer actually arrives, the first seems to be lost and they are sending a replacement, so I may even have two arrive!, I will invest in a roll.

I can't find much information on the page itself, other than on the text 'blurb' where it states that it's more flexible than TPU ...? Probably worth contacting the seller to make sure though, maybe.

Importing from the states would be a absolute stinger!!!   

I will say though,it does make me wonder WHY you never see anyone use it,I've never seen large YouTube channels mention it or use it.. it just doesn't seem commonly used, even in the USA,I think.

• Like 1

I will say though,it does make me wonder WHY you never see anyone use it,I've never seen large YouTube channels mention it or use it.. it just doesn't seem commonly used, even in the USA,I think.

I think it’s relatively new. The earliest reference I’ve been able to find in the 3D printing community is 2021 and it looks like Amazon did not begin to carry it until September of that year. With TPU being the standard go to and its greater flexibility, it probably hasn’t gotten much traction, which may be why it’s availability is so limited outside the US.

Being PLA it has the same issues as PLA in regard to absorbing moisture so it needs to be stored in dry locations, and the filament can stretch if it is pulled, creating issues while printing. And while the base components of PLA are known and pose little risk when printing, the chemical additives companies use to make the PLA flexible are unknown so its safety for printing indoors at home is unknown as well.
  • Like 1

The reply I received from the company for the filament linked below:

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Flashforge-Flexible-Filament-1kg-Grey-522607.html?Currency=EUR&source=googleads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiA1-6sBhAoEiwArqlGPrZuOvaqprzDyYpNqDGCnXWLGebBAFIgfqZJY1cZv2NojSoYLkaMhBoCUZkQAvD_BwE

"Temperature resistance of around 100°C
Wide range of printing temperature of 190-230°C
This material is equivalent to TPU"

The reply doesn't really fill me with confidence. I'm still not sure what it is but it's still worth a try.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's worth a go I think, it maybe worth considering printing some proper PLA first though, as TPU / stretchy material is a more fiddly material to print , just to ease yourself into 3d printing ;)

• Like 1

I like 3D printing! I think I have researched it enough to get me up and working. I am trying to steer clear of the myriad videos on tips and tricks - "just keep it simple" he says.

The helmet is a 3D print from Etsy and the rest are the excellent MrPoopie files - filler/primed so far. I bought an Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus printer and so far it's been pretty flawless.

IMG_4788.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2024 at 3:45 PM, Plasma said:

I like 3D printing! I think I have researched it enough to get me up and working. I am trying to steer clear of the myriad videos on tips and tricks - "just keep it simple" he says.

The helmet is a 3D print from Etsy and the rest are the excellent MrPoopie files - filler/primed so far. I bought an Elegoo Neptune 3 Plus printer and so far it's been pretty flawless.

IMG_4788.jpeg

How much did the files cost if ya don’t mind me asking 

also need a find a helmet maker that shops to uk lol

9 hours ago, TreeHuggerMatt said:

How much did the files cost if ya don’t mind me asking 

also need a find a helmet maker that shops to uk lol

PM'd