Will the REAL Thermal Detonator Greeblie please stand up?

irongladiator

Hello Fellow Scouts!
When talking about the Thermal Detonator (Specifically the greeblie), here is what I got in my kit....
MonCal-s-TD-Greeblie.jpg?rlkey=c8yp8nzzq

and when going onto the 501st's CRL, when you click on the Thermal Detonator's picture to see it in greater detail I see this....
ROTJ-Scout-Trooper-501st-CRL-Thermal-Det

I took note of that cylindrical looking piece - you'll note that in the 501st's pic it is off to the right hand side, but in the kit I received it is off to the left hand side. I seemed to have gotten a mirrored piece of the one in the CRL. Now I know I can flip it to have the "Prongs Down" to have that cylindrical looking piece off to the right. As I've seen that you can have the "Prongs" up or down in the CRL's description. But like most, I'm a slave to appearances.

But then later I seen this....
Thermal-Detonator-Greeblie-Blown-Up.jpg?

....and low and behold I see that the "Prongs" are up AND the cylindrical looking piece is off to the left (Same as mine)! Which tells me that the Thermal Detonator that TB-16080 has equipped and the stand alone Thermal Detonator that is in the CRL pic, are not the same Thermal Detonator.

As someone who has built himself a ROTJ Boba Fett - Fett's get scrutinized pretty heavily for what most would consider petty stuff. Like, if scratches and weathering aren't near exact on the paint work - gotta do it over! 😳

So I didn't know if Scout Troopers undergo the same kinda treatment and scrutiny for stuff like this - or.....maybe it doesn't matter. Appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks,

-Iron

You got your kit from Mon Cal, correct?

We don't have many clear close up photos of that particular greeb on screen, but we do know that it's the same as part of the endor trooper badge.

The examples I've seen of that particular det greeb, including from RS Props, Studio Creations, and others, all have the cylinder on the right.

2019_kit_resin_tdgreeblies.jpg

il_640xN.4475849373_ivij.jpg

com-rank-badge.jpg

I'm not sure about the original issue with the CRL model, but other pathfinders have the Strider/CfO armor, which is what's depicted, and the greebs that come with it have the cylinder on the right side of the greeb. Detachment staff will address this inconsistency as a part of our annual CRL review.

I do not foresee this being an issue for Level 1/Basic clearance. It would be an issue for Level 2/Lancer clearance. Mon Cal's detonator is already listed as not passing Level 2/Lancer, so we can give a heads up there as well, after we discuss any CRL updates: https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/21881-rotj-scout-armor-kit-accuracy-and-level-2-lancer-applications/

If you want to pick up a right side cylinder greeblie, you can get one from Studio Creations: https://studiocreations.com/howto/bikerscout/forsale_bike_replacementparts.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Chopper
Yes indeedy mine is from MonCal. However when you look at the promotional pictures that they advertise you see this....
MonCal-Prop-Shop-Thermal-Detonator-Greeb

Which those appear to be the correct versions. I have brought this up to MonCal but have yet to receive a response back - I assume Holidays and all - and no biggie, I'm not in a rush. I'd rather do it right than make mistakes.

Thanks for the input!

Best,

-Iron

Hi Matt

Well we've done some detective work on this (my favorite thing to do while on vacation :D ) and it seems the main CRL photo has the TD portion flipped.  Our guess is when the photo was taken, the dot was on the left side and the badge was on the right -- which was not allowed under the CRL at the time.  

The individual TD photo in the CRL is correct:

TB_TD.png

Which also matches screen references.  If you are looking for our store of screen refs, please check out the Scoutopedia:

https://www.501stpathfinders.com/scoutopedia.php

We will get the main CRL fixed up pronto.  Thanks for pointing this out for us!  Hard to believe it's been up there for 5 years and no one noticed, but these things happen.

• Like 2

@BikerScout007

This is great to know. I've been told that I do have an eagle eye for minute details such as this. Glad to have pointed it out and contributed in some way that helps the community to be that better Scout Trooper!

If only I had gotten this....
MonCal-s-TD-Greeblie-Mirrored.jpg?rlkey=

(Used MS Paint to mirror my above image 😏)

I have since ordered a set from Seven Cat Studios - which I'm told is on the way!
7CS-Thermal-Detonator-Greeblie.jpg?rlkey

Cheers,

-Iron

• Like 2