OK, time to finish this helmet!

RZill

@RZill
Seriously, hats off to you guys who do the trimming and assemble everything! To date, I've put together a ROTJ Boba Fett and ROTJ Boushh cosplay - but have always preferred vendors to do the trimming. I just don't trust myself in that aspect. And so if it is extra money to have that done, I'll usually pay it. Studio Creations has been good from what I've seen and heard. So this is the first negative experience I'm hearing of them - I'm sure they're are others though. But I'm also new to the Scout Trooper build myself. So your experience, is that to say the description in their advertisement is not entirely accurate?
Studio-Creations-Description.jpg?rlkey=g

I recall looking at Studio Creations when looking to gather parts, and recalled that they offered the parts trimmed which is what the above pic represents. Is this the same version you purchased? If so, I'm kinda shocked to hear that your undergoing what seems to be a lot of trimming, when its advertised as being already trimmed. I was just on their site and seen they didn't offer an "Untrimmed" version, but they perhaps just didn't have any available at this time. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with this though. It does suck when stuff like this happens.

All I can say is don't give up! I never thought I'd be that guy who went to "Con's" or "Event's" dressed up as a character from Star Wars.
Boba-Fett-at-GeekGirlCon.jpg?rlkey=vki2u

I took my daughter to a Con, and while she likes Star Wars too (Not as much as me), is also heavily into Japanese Anime. And after seeing how much attention I got from people dressed as Fett, she decided she wanted her own Star Wars cosplay. I asked her which character, and she said Princess Leia when she is in disguise at Jabba's Palace! And here was the result of that...
 ECCC-Pic-21.jpg?rlkey=hiuf0djgfvjrejl5ev

And so it continues, I always wanted a Scout Trooper costume and so started my journey into that! But stick with it, the results of what you get back when you go out trooping is amazing!

Best,

-Iron

8 hours ago, irongladiator said:

@RZill
Seriously, hats off to you guys who do the trimming and assemble everything! To date, I've put together a ROTJ Boba Fett and ROTJ Boushh cosplay - but have always preferred vendors to do the trimming. I just don't trust myself in that aspect. And so if it is extra money to have that done, I'll usually pay it. Studio Creations has been good from what I've seen and heard. So this is the first negative experience I'm hearing of them - I'm sure they're are others though. But I'm also new to the Scout Trooper build myself. So your experience, is that to say the description in their advertisement is not entirely accurate?
Studio-Creations-Description.jpg?rlkey=g

I recall looking at Studio Creations when looking to gather parts, and recalled that they offered the parts trimmed which is what the above pic represents. Is this the same version you purchased? If so, I'm kinda shocked to hear that your undergoing what seems to be a lot of trimming, when its advertised as being already trimmed. I was just on their site and seen they didn't offer an "Untrimmed" version, but they perhaps just didn't have any available at this time. I am sorry to hear of your difficulties with this though. It does suck when stuff like this happens.

All I can say is don't give up! I never thought I'd be that guy who went to "Con's" or "Event's" dressed up as a character from Star Wars.
Boba-Fett-at-GeekGirlCon.jpg?rlkey=vki2u

I took my daughter to a Con, and while she likes Star Wars too (Not as much as me), is also heavily into Japanese Anime. And after seeing how much attention I got from people dressed as Fett, she decided she wanted her own Star Wars cosplay. I asked her which character, and she said Princess Leia when she is in disguise at Jabba's Palace! And here was the result of that...
 ECCC-Pic-21.jpg?rlkey=hiuf0djgfvjrejl5ev

And so it continues, I always wanted a Scout Trooper costume and so started my journey into that! But stick with it, the results of what you get back when you go out trooping is amazing!

Best,

-Iron

I bought the entire kit with helmet, and it also says trimmed and ready for assembly.  But, it still needs additional trimming in places.  Another fella on here has the same thing, and he mentioned his helmet was also a little off.  The representative of SC wrote to me and he admitted their helmet - he wrote, "Yes, our design is in need of revamping."  So, even they admit the parts are a bit off.

• Like 1

Guys -- the Scout helmet is wonky.  Anything vac-pulled in ABS is going to be wonky.  The original helmets used in the film -- wonky as heck.  That's part of their charm.  

I'm glad you were able to work something out with Jeff.  SC is one of the most reputable vendors in this business with some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

My original kit was SC and it was, as advertised, trimmed.  That does not mean it was perfectly trimmed FOR ME.  Some adjustments needed to be made to make it fit my body type properly.  

I've also purchased kits where there was no trimming done at all.  My poor fingers were crying out for SC in those moments.  

Let us know when you resume building and we'll be sure to pitch in with advice.

• Like 3

Would someone on here be interested in building my helmet?  I received replacement parts from SC, but it's still annoyingly out of whack.  Maybe one of you who actually has some skills would be interested in being commissioned to build this.  I get so frustrated because of my inability to do anything even remotely handy, that I may run this thing over with my Jeep 80 times if I tried to build it.  To me, it's not fun.  I can put on the visor, stickers, and greeblies when the helmet is built, but I am not spending one more second trying to put this dang thing together.

I get how it can be frustrating sometimes but please hang in there! I would recommend checking your Garrison forums to see if there are any armor parties going on. If not that's ok. Check and see with the MSG if they have any ROTJ scouts local that can help. The best thing to do at the moment would be to set the helmet aside and work on your soft goods and remaining armor. Take a breath brother🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

I get how it can be frustrating sometimes but please hang in there! I would recommend checking your Garrison forums to see if there are any armor parties going on. If not that's ok. Check and see with the MSG if they have any ROTJ scouts local that can help. The best thing to do at the moment would be to set the helmet aside and work on your soft goods and remaining armor. Take a breath brother🙂

Thanks, but everything else is done.  

If you'd like to try and commission someone to build the helmet for you, then you might want to post a message in the BST forum. There may be someone who will do it for a nominal fee.

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/forum/155-trade-forum/

Also, Jeff at Studio Creations used to offer fully built helmets. You could also reach out and see if he will build your helmet for a certain price.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chopper said:

If you'd like to try and commission someone to build the helmet for you, then you might want to post a message in the BST forum. There may be someone who will do it for a nominal fee.

https://forum.501stpathfinders.com/forum/155-trade-forum/

Also, Jeff at Studio Creations used to offer fully built helmets. You could also reach out and see if he will build your helmet for a certain price.

SC said they will build it.  The fee is pretty high, but at this point, I want it out of my hands and finished.

Do they do a good job for 501st approved helmets?

17 minutes ago, RZill said:

SC said they will build it.  The fee is pretty high, but at this point, I want it out of my hands and finished.

Do they do a good job for 501st approved helmets?

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say the majority of US-based Scouts have SC armor.  

• 1 month later...

OK, got my helmet back from SC and I am almost ready for approval pics.  This might look a tad sloppy because I had nobody to help tidy up the armor or take a proper pic, but I will have someone to help when that time comes.  I just need to pad up the bucket.

Question - my knee armor slides down as I walk - anyone else have this issue and a possible solution?  The straps are plenty tight.  Maybe some padding inside the armor??

No photo description available.

FYI, your photo is not displaying.

For the knee armor, most folks sew velcro to their flight suit, though padding is an option as well.

5 minutes ago, Chopper said:

FYI, your photo is not displaying.

For the knee armor, most folks sew velcro to their flight suit, though padding is an option as well.

Oh, really?  I can see the photo on my end.  Oh well, it's not a good pic anyway.  I was considering sewing velcro, but not sure it would look proper.  But, when in Endor...

Thanks!  I will post the better approval photos through TapTalk when I have them.

1 hour ago, RZill said:

OK, got my helmet back from SC and I am almost ready for approval pics.  This might look a tad sloppy because I had nobody to help tidy up the armor or take a proper pic, but I will have someone to help when that time comes.  I just need to pad up the bucket.

Question - my knee armor slides down as I walk - anyone else have this issue and a possible solution?  The straps are plenty tight.  Maybe some padding inside the armor??

No photo description available.

I can see your bucket.  It looks good!

My upper straps are tight enough that my knee armor doesn't slide down.  Some people use velcro and some put some foam on the inside of the knee to keep it from moving.  

• Like 1

Give this thread a read. It has some great tips on how to keep things together while trooping.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/w18894-some-tips-for-keeping-your-scout-costume-together-while-trooping/

As you troop, you be able to easily identify areas where a little Velcro or tightening of straps will help keep thing together.

I do recommend that if you add Velcro for your knees, that you place the Velcro on the bottom half of the knee armor and not the top. That will
allow you to kneel down for photos with the wee ones and occasional pet.

• Like 1