Iron's ROTJ Scout Trooper - WIP

irongladiator

Hello Fellow Scout's!
My name is Matt (aka: irongladiator). I'm from the Seattle, WA area. I'm attempting another Star Wars cosplay build - this time a ROTJ Scout Trooper! Under my belt is a ROTJ Boba Fett and a ROTJ Boushh for my 12 year old daughter, as well as a static Jawa prop! All assembled and painted by me.
Boba-Boushh-and-a-Jawa.jpg?rlkey=ioahx7u

I'd thought I'd keep up with the ROTJ theme and do up a Scout Trooper - but I thought I'd take it easy on myself this time around. Before I get to the pictures, I've some time spent researching this out a bit and landed on a list of what to get and from whom. Here is that list:
Scout-Parts.jpg?rlkey=jsa6f809oo6cfs75g7

....More to follow.

-Iron

• Like 3

Welcome Matt! Looking forward to seeing your progress. Let us know if you have any questions as you begin to assemble your kit. We’re happy to help.

• Thanks 1

Hello Fellow Scouts,
I trust everyone had a great Thanksgiving?

I just wanted to continue and share what 've acquired for my Scout Trooper build thus far. Above, I've noted that I've acquired the soft parts (with the Helmet and Armor ordered). I was wanting a majority of this build to be ready (or near-ready) to go right out of the box - I don't mind a little bit of sewing/assembly. The primary objective is to gain Basic Approval into the 501st. The plan right now is to submit in Q1 of 2024. So for starters, here is the Flight Suit....

(From: Keep Trooping / Imperial Boots)

ROTJ-Scout-Flight-Suit.jpg?rlkey=8hiuxf7

Next up is the Vest....

(From: Kripton Top)

ROTJ-Scout-Vest.jpg?rlkey=3uzjntlyrg85g3

And when you put the two together....

ROTJ-Scout-Flight-Suit-with-Vest.jpg?rlk

I also have the Cummerbund Set - which included the Cod Piece and Pouches.

(From: Seven Cat Studios)

ROTJ-Scout-Cummerbund-Set.jpg?rlkey=pm00

Seven Cat Studios offered this set in a few different options, the variant I got was the "Mercerized Cotton" offering which is good, should I decide to go for Level II . I feel lucky to have gotten this as I know @Darth Voorhees of Seven Cat Studios and his family is presently enduring harsh times and (I believe) temporarily removed this from his current line up of his product offerings.

Here are the Boots...

ROTJ-Scout-Boots.jpg?rlkey=9bpbr3701q2lx

Also on the list is the Balaclava...

(From: Under Armor - Heat Gear Tactical)

ROTJ-Scout-Balaclava-Under-Armor.jpg?rlk

I also got the "Optional" Neck Seal...

(From: Darman's Props)

ROTJ-Scout-Neck-Seal.jpg?rlkey=kw8xhjtrp

What I really liked about this one is the fact that it conforms to your neck much like the 501st Scout Trooper CRL Pic shows. And having that extra bit of comfort is great!

Here are the Gloves...

ROTJ-Scout-Gloves.jpg?rlkey=ax20sxjc4mte

And lastly, though I don't have it in hand yet, is the EC-17 Hold-out Blaster...
(From: Polymer Armory)

ROTJ-Scout-EC-17-Blaster.jpg?rlkey=b8mv3

The above image is a stock image from their website. It comes as a kit, so I'm predicting there will be a little bit of assembly/painting that'll need to be done. Polymer Armory is re-doing their molds at the moment so we're looking like this'll be delivered here in the next couple weeks (I hope).

This is all I have at the moment, but a good start, yes, yes?

Thanks,

-Iron

• Like 2

In general, the goods you have should be fine for basic approval. In the end, and you obviously know this, but it's all going to depend on how it fits once you put everything on.

• Like 1

@Chopper
Oh, I'm very aware that it all rests on how it fits the cosplayer. As a ROTJ Boba Fett, I had everything sized up when I was a bit.....shall we say "bigger" - hehehe! And when I went on a routine of diet and exercise, My Boba costume fit better and better, to the point where it eventually started to become loose. Here's a good example of it. This picture was taken in early March of this year....
ECCC-Pic-22.jpg?rlkey=t8wb0ox0x98fi1xnok

It is evident, even though I try to hide it with my EE-3 Blaster.
😏

Fast forward to September this year and 35 lbs lighter....

Boba-Fett-at-GeekGirlCon.jpg?rlkey=dq9qz

I was cautioned about losing weight - that this may happen. Don't wanna let that costume to look too baggy. And even when submitting pictures. A few of the other Fett's I talk to, one guy was rejected for it not "Fitting" just right. And the next week re-took submission photos and adjusted the way the fabric of the costume sat on him and he was granted into the 501st. So, it certainly seems to be that a lot of it is gonna be just the right angle when that picture is shot - cause that's the way the GML is gonna see it. There are some cool tips and tricks you can learn from other more experienced 501st members when it comes to getting that right shot. And I'm willing to bet there are a few here that can lend some advice on that front, yeah?

-Iron

• Like 1

Congratulations on that weight loss, not easy I’m sure. I actually lost some weight in between delivery of my soft goods and finishing my TB kit myself, and had to have my flight suit and other goods tailored.

PS: Boba is one of the few costumes that you can join multiple clubs with, you may have a quicker path to membership (and others!) while you work on your kit.

• Like 1

**Small Update**
I honestly didn't think these woulda shipped as quickly as they did. I ordered the Armor beginning of November and the Helmet in Mid-November. And they both showed up on the same day (Last Tuesday)! Christmas came early! I'm looking forward to finishing the Armor Kit and the Helmet came completed....
ROTJ-Scout-Trooper-Armor.jpg?rlkey=23fw5

Happy Holidays!

-Iron

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Matt, there are lots of Biker Scouts in Garrison Titan. Reach out if you need help! Looking forward to meeting you at a troop.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

Hey Matt, there are lots of Biker Scouts in Garrison Titan. Reach out if you need help! Looking forward to meeting you at a troop.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

@KOtrooper
That's great to hear of this kind of support! I'm like that way too for the Fett community - I enjoy talking about it, my experiences and helping out where I can. I reach out if I require any assistance.

-Iron

This is the way. I got L2 on my Biker so if you need help, let me know. GT also has a Meet and Greet 1/13 if you want to connect with more Bikers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fellow Bikers!
Just wanted to post an update on my progress. On Christmas morning there was a very large box tucked under the tree. When I opened that present up, I was greeted with....
Singer-6700c-Pic-1.jpg?rlkey=snrtlu96k1z

My wife and daughter overheard me saying that I was thinking about getting a sewing machine to use for my cosplay soft parts. I honestly was on the fence about it, but was also kind of tired of going to my alterations lady to have her do what I thought of was simple stuff like sewing on velcro patches, sewing things together where the stitching wouldn't be seen, etc. My wife jumped online and began researching one that was capable enough and easy to learn on and she landed on the Singer 6700C Heavy Duty sewing machine. Also included in my Christmas stocking was a couple 4 packs of metal bobbins a bobbin holder. Some sewing machine oil - presumably for maintenance, a sewing brush, which I'm not even sure what that's used for and a set of Singer sewing machine screwdrivers as well as some heavy duty needles. I have since picked up a hard case in which to store my newly acquired tool (as well as some black and white thread)!
😊

I have since begun using it and honestly don't think I'm off to a bad start. As @BikerScout007 stated in one of his videos that "if you get something sewn in, it is not coming apart." The thing giving me pause was sewing experience - but hey, we all gotta start somewhere. And thanks to my wife and daughter, I no longer have an excuse to not and at least try to learn a new skill. So here is a couple pics of me using my new gift as I install my straps on my armor...

Elastic-Stitching.jpg?rlkey=d6jr01dh6w9n

I'm not a huge fan of fraying so what I did was cut all my elastic straps and then folded them back an inch and sewn a square along the border. And once installed and hot glued down. I shouldn’t have an issue of them fraying or coming apart. And with that my elastic got installed...
Elastic-Installed.jpg?rlkey=rhiauu7uo9t0

I also built my belt. I riveted, hot glued the nylon strap inside the belt and sewn the velcro patches in place. I ensured that the closure is right over left and that the velcro (Rough vs Fuzzy) is on the correct sides as the Cummerbund and Flak Vest (Pretty sure that doesn't matter though)...

Rivet-Hot-Glued-and-Velcro-Patches-Sewn.

And for the webbing of the belt, I know most folks simply route the webbing through the front of the belt as one piece. I decided to take a different approach - and this was more of less to see if I could do it. But what I did was, doubled the webbing over - cause I dislike fraying. I then stitched the two webbings together and then hot glued both sections down onto the belt. ...

Belt-Sewing.jpg?rlkey=4ofrikz8lx900vbijh

I also stitched the back of the hip webbing to the belt. And with that the belt is built....
Belt-is-Built.jpg?rlkey=m9j147x2swsl9oti

And now onto the helmet. As stated in my list of acquired parts the helmet I purchased was a New Image Props - Scout Trooper Helmet V3. Upon receiving the helmet my initial reactions were that this is a very solid helmet. I like the fact that the base of the helmet is made out of fiberglass while the face piece is ABS Plastic. I feel that this is a very solid helmet. New Image Props makes the 3M Visor Bolts out of metal (Aluminum) and they even do their own threading. I may have been an exception to this, but the threading I felt wasn't done all that great, in fact when I went to tighten the bolts a little tighter so that the lid stays open with out assistance I noticed that the threads started to strip out....
New-Image-Props-3M-Bolts.jpg?rlkey=15f2t

Which wasn't a huge deal as I was planning on replacing them anyway with ones that have the little dimple in the center. I found some on 7CS's (Seven Cat Studios) Etsy store and bought his instead. 7CS cast his out of resin but he embeds a Stainless Steel bolt and nut into the 3M copies. And so far they have worked out great!
 7CS-3M-Bolts.jpg?rlkey=roh6161jzywm172l9

The real pain was carefully using my Dremel to bore out the hole large enough to accommodate the 7CS 3M Visor Bolts - But after about an hour of careful Dremel'ing. I got it finished...

7CS-3M-Visor-Bolts.jpg?rlkey=p3yupkewlo8

In addition, I added and installed into my Scout Trooper helmet what is known amongst us members of the US Military as the PASGT Suspension System (I served in the US Army from '94 to '04 as a Combat Engineer). PASGT = Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops. This Suspension System is what the US Military issued for our soldiers to use in their M4 Combat Helmets, as you can imagine a Military Combat Helmet is pretty hefty and takes some getting used to, to wearing. However, leave it to Uncle Sam and the Department of Defense to come up with a way to make those helmets as comfortable as possible. In step the PASGT Suspension System, there are two components to this setup.

One is the PASGT Suspension system itself....

US-Military-PASGT-Suspension-System.jpg?

And the other is the Headband....

US-Military-PASGT-Headband.jpg?rlkey=ina

The best thing about these, aside from being extremely lightweight (3.3 oz), and not to mention very comfortable....

PASGT-Weight-3.3-oz.jpg?rlkey=0bbq2lnqk5

...is the fact that not only are they cheap, but are also easily acquirable. Amazon sells em', but I found the best deals on eBay. You should be able to get both for around $15.00 total. And installation? Very easy. I didn't skimp on this and bought myself some....
Velcro-Extreme-Outdoor.jpg?rlkey=r08a8f5
The adhesive on this adheres very well on fiberglass and I'm sure it would on ABS plastics as well. I first tried this on my ROTJ Boba Fett helmet which is also fiberglass and would never go to anything else. I know some people cram foam in their buckets (Which I'm told is pretty claustrophobic) and some use construction helmet liners. But I'm telling ya, in my humble opinion, nothing beats the PASGT. It is also very responsive too, if you have to turn your head quickly or sharply, this system can make it happen and you'll have no bobblehead effect.

There are sizes (S, M & L) to the PASGT Suspension System I myself used a Medium. The headband is a one size fits all!

Fitting the PASGT Suspension System in place and marking where I'm to install the Velcro Patches....
PASGT-Helmet-Suspension-System-Fitted.jp

Got the Velcro Installed....
Velcro-Installed.jpg?rlkey=hd6qrz06nahhf

And installed the PASGT System...

PASGT-Headband-Helmet-Syspension-and-Hea

And that's all the updates I have for now. More to come.

-Iron

• Like 6

Excellent work all around and congrats on the shiny new sewing rig! The only thing I’d grab if you don’t already have one is a seam ripper for when you do need to remove stitching.

https://www.amazon.com/Rippers-Remover-Unpicker-Ergonomic-Patterns/dp/B07YFSX6YF/

Another easy way to prevent fraying on elastic is to apply a lighter to the cut edge. Hold the elastic over the flame just close enough to melt the plastic and voila … no fraying.

You’re work and documentation are superb. Your WIP will help a lot of scouts down the line. Keep it up!

AND I love that PASGT system! Great recommendation!

• Like 1

@Aradun

Thanks for the compliments!
😊

And if I woulda looked inside the sewing machines compartment, I woulda seen they included a seam ripper as part of the $180.00 worth of accessories - that I somehow missed. 🤔
Singer-6700c-Pic-1-Accessories.jpg?rlkey

But I didn't, and bought myself one from Michaels. Thankfully, these things are cheap ($2.99) I also just noted the Free In-Person Beginner Class. I'm gonna have to take advantage of that. I really wanna be a Master/Perfectionist at the "Straight Stitch".

When I built my ROTJ Boba Fett I also did a WIP thread and in there you'll see the same stuff loads of pics and detailed description of how I accomplished that costume. I'm still putting stuff in there as I continue the upgrades on it - But I'm nearly done with it, I mean at $6500 you kinda gotta call it quits at some point. But if you (or anyone else) is interested , here is the link: Iron's ROTJ WIP

TDH-Forum.jpg?rlkey=uyoup03s5iy3x8qv5jr7

Since I started it back on July 18th of 2020 it has received 50,683 views to date, spanned 22 pages and has 430 replies. I've received multiple PM's saying how they loved some of the step by step tutorials as well as the detailed descriptions I provided. And quite a few folks have said they used my WIP thread as one of the primary threads in which they were able to get into their local 501st Garrisons - which is quite humbling.

I'm planning on trimming my Chest and Back Armor today and building a solution for the Shoulder Bridges and Shoulder Armor. So stay tuned for that as I'm sure I'll have something to share before Monday.

Best,

-Iron

• Like 1

I’m not surprised Iron!  Like I said this is going to be great build thread for fellow Scouts and I’m def keeping in mind that Boba build of yours.  He’s my fav next to the Scout and a def bucket list build for me.  Keep it coming!

• Like 1

Hi Matt, I thought I'd take a look at how you're doing.  You're crushing it, buddy! 

We should compare notes on the Mon Cal armor.  I'm curious to know how you're dealing with the hole in the bottom of the tank since it's too big to put a 1/8 inch rivet into.  I see they include a wing nut and bolt for it.  I was thinking of CA gluing a pice of ABS inside the tank and then just putting a rivet into that.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jediwannabe said:

Hi Matt, I thought I'd take a look at how you're doing.  You're crushing it, buddy! 

We should compare notes on the Mon Cal armor.  I'm curious to know how you're dealing with the hole in the bottom of the tank since it's too big to put a 1/8 inch rivet into.  I see they include a wing nut and bolt for it.  I was thinking of CA gluing a pice of ABS inside the tank and then just putting a rivet into that.  

@Jediwannabe

Thanks for the compliment! So I haven't updated it just yet, but to answer your question I didn't use a rivet in the bottom of the Tank. I simply used the provided Chicago Screw that MonCal includes in his kit. And while MonCal's instructions are not really clear on this part. I just improvised, because as you said the hole is much too big for a 1/8 inch rivet - and my thought was that the Chicago Screw looked the part of a rivet...
Chicago-Screw-Bottom-Tank-Pic-1.jpg?rlke

Chicago-Screw-Bottom-Tank-Pic-2.jpg?rlke

Additionally, MonCal includes a way in which to mount the Tank to the Back Armor, which I think is great! And for this, I know he includes wing nuts, but I opted to use once again Chicago Screws for this as they sit more flush and even though you're covered pretty good with fabric that you probably wouldn't even feel the wing nut digging into your back. With Chicago Screws you shouldn't feel it whatsoever. Oh...and I epoxied (JB Weld's - Plastic Bonder) the female part of the Chicago Screw directly to the Tank's L-Bracket...
Tank-L-Bracket-Sliced-Hole.jpg?rlkey=g8g

Epoxied-Chicago-Screw-on-Tanks-L-Bracket

I threw on fender washers and used Loctite Thread Locker Red 271 on the Chicago Screws - once cured they shouldn't break free easily.
😉

Back-Armor-Chiago-Screws-Holding-Tank.jp

You may have noticed that the Chicago Screw at the bottom of the Tank doesn't connect or bolt directly to the Back Armor, and is only holding onto the elastic strap. I opt'd to do it this way as it is my belief that the two Chicago Screws holding the tank to the Back Armor is sufficient enough.

Best,

-Iron

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey ya Fellow Scout Troopers,
I had some time to work on my kit a bit more, just no time to post updates - till now, so here goes! (Forewarning - it's kind of a long post. 🙂)

I was able to trim my Chest and Back Armor a bit and got it to where it feels and looks pretty good...
Chest-and-Back-Armor-Trimmed.jpg?rlkey=q

Additionally, I had thought about how to make and attach the "Shoulder Bridges". And for this my engineering mind got a little creative. I'm sure there are a number of different methods in which to do this, but this seems to have worked out for me. So I thought I'd share my idea. Using these pieces (Which you'll need to double up on to make two shoulder bridges)...

A. 1 Inch Off-White Lightweight Fabric Strip

B. 1.5 Inch Velcro Soft Side - (8 inches length)

C. 1.5 Inch Polypropylene Webbing (8 Inches length)

D. Tie Wrap Mounting Base (1 inch by 1 inch)

E. Black Hook and Loop Piece w/Adhesive.

F) Small Hook and Loop piece (Rough side)

G, H & I) Small Hook and Loop Piece (Fuzzy Side)

J & K) 2 Inch Hook and Loop w/Adhesive (Rough Side - custom cut to 1.5 Inch width)

Shoulder-Bridge-Build.jpg?rlkey=o11b99ny

And using my new sewing machine was able to conjure up this....

Shoulder-Bridge.jpg?rlkey=zk9ztpdueoc3pl

And did it again to make another....

Two-Shoulder-Bridges.jpg?rlkey=lpwktorsh

Which worked out quite well I thought.....

Shoulder-Bridges-Installed.jpg?rlkey=2ct

The two black tie wrap mounts are for the tie wrap that is mean to be installed to the Shoulder Armor...

Shoulder-Armor-with-tie-wrap.jpg?rlkey=9

(...and yes, I'm aware that the tie wrap needs to be looped and come back. 😉 )

Additionally, I've made an adjustable belt for the Chest and Back Armor...

Chest-and-Back-Armor-Adjustable-Belt.jpg

You can see that I built in so that it has easy to grip "Pull Tabs" on it...

Pull-Tabs.jpg?rlkey=7z81e6a58m7izp5xzu54

And now for the fun one. I recently got my Polymer Armory Hero EC-17 Blaster. For anyone interested this is a highly awesome little kit....

Polymer-Armory-s-EC-17-Blaster-Hero-Kit.

Knowing me, I wanted to take it that extra step further both for looks and functionality. And so I started with how should this be secured in the Boot Holster? Seeing that the hand guard comes from polymer Armory made out of aluminum, I opt'd to go back to my favorite local precision machine shop - Limited ProductionsThese guys helped me with a couple cosplay projects. It was funny cause I brought in the aluminum handguard and also the blaster and holster. When my contact entered the room he was kinda stunned when he saw the EC-17 blaster sitting on the table, and goes "Absolutely NOT, we DO NOT work on firearms!" He further goes on to say that there is just too much at stake, from insurance to liability, etc. And then.....he noticed who I was and proceeds to slow his roll and he goes "Wait a second you're that Star Wars costume guy, right?" (Cause it's been a few months since I was there last

After I nodded my head he begins to laugh and goes "What can we help you with this time?" I proceed to tell him that I'm looking for a solution in which to mount my EC-17 Blaster and thought why not use super strong rare earth magnets on a metal hand guard. He liked the idea and suggested a mild steel. I told him to make an exact duplicate of the aluminum hand guard and make one out of his suggested metal. After a couple days it was done (These guys work quick!). and the results....

Limited-Productions-EC-17-Hand-Guard.jpg

(Top = Polymer Armory's - Aluminum Hand Guard)

(Bottom = Limited Productions - Mild Steel Hand Guard)

And the fit...?

Limted-Production-Hand-Guard-on-EC-17.jp

Fits like a glove - I couldn't be happier with the results. These guys do absolutely quality work! I'd also like to share a YouTube video of the magnet idea...

I'm fairly confident that the EC-17 will stay in it's holster while walk about. Those rare earth magnets I got are incredibly strong. Even now I'm thinking of creative ways to mount the holster to the boot without having to rely on the four 1/8" in rivets for the strength. As I'm sure taking out my EC-17 will put stress on the rivets and leather. I'm fielding any ideas or suggestions on that front and would welcome input.

I know this was a long post and I wanna think you for sticking with me. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Best,

-Iron

• Like 1

Hi Iron. This is a great thread and it'll be a great reference to the scouts that come behind you so thank you for being so thorough! Depending on how strong your magnets are in your holster as long as you have the proper backing washers, inside the boot, you shouldn't have too serious a problem with it. Lately we haven't even been able to have blasters at troops so I replace my blaster with a knitted Ewok that a friend made for me in my holster.

Check out this video. The holster assembly to the boot starts around 6 minutes in.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, irongladiator said:

Hey ya Fellow Scout Troopers,
I had some time to work on my kit a bit more, just no time to post updates - till now, so here goes! (Forewarning - it's kind of a long post. 🙂)

I was able to trim my Chest and Back Armor a bit and got it to where it feels and looks pretty good...
Chest-and-Back-Armor-Trimmed.jpg?rlkey=q

Additionally, I had thought about how to make and attach the "Shoulder Bridges". And for this my engineering mind got a little creative. I'm sure there are a number of different methods in which to do this, but this seems to have worked out for me. So I thought I'd share my idea. Using these pieces (Which you'll need to double up on to make two shoulder bridges)...

A. 1 Inch Off-White Lightweight Fabric Strip

B. 1.5 Inch Velcro Soft Side - (8 inches length)

C. 1.5 Inch Polypropylene Webbing (8 Inches length)

D. Tie Wrap Mounting Base (1 inch by 1 inch)

E. Black Hook and Loop Piece w/Adhesive.

F) Small Hook and Loop piece (Rough side)

G, H & I) Small Hook and Loop Piece (Fuzzy Side)

J & K) 2 Inch Hook and Loop w/Adhesive (Rough Side - custom cut to 1.5 Inch width)

Shoulder-Bridge-Build.jpg?rlkey=o11b99ny

And using my new sewing machine was able to conjure up this....

Shoulder-Bridge.jpg?rlkey=zk9ztpdueoc3pl

And did it again to make another....

Two-Shoulder-Bridges.jpg?rlkey=lpwktorsh

Which worked out quite well I thought.....

Shoulder-Bridges-Installed.jpg?rlkey=2ct

The two black tie wrap mounts are for the tie wrap that is mean to be installed to the Shoulder Armor...

Shoulder-Armor-with-tie-wrap.jpg?rlkey=9

(...and yes, I'm aware that the tie wrap needs to be looped and come back. 😉 )

Additionally, I've made an adjustable belt for the Chest and Back Armor...

Chest-and-Back-Armor-Adjustable-Belt.jpg

You can see that I built in so that it has easy to grip "Pull Tabs" on it...

Pull-Tabs.jpg?rlkey=7z81e6a58m7izp5xzu54

And now for the fun one. I recently got my Polymer Armory Hero EC-17 Blaster. For anyone interested this is a highly awesome little kit....

Polymer-Armory-s-EC-17-Blaster-Hero-Kit.

Knowing me, I wanted to take it that extra step further both for looks and functionality. And so I started with how should this be secured in the Boot Holster? Seeing that the hand guard comes from polymer Armory made out of aluminum, I opt'd to go back to my favorite local precision machine shop - Limited ProductionsThese guys helped me with a couple cosplay projects. It was funny cause I brought in the aluminum handguard and also the blaster and holster. When my contact entered the room he was kinda stunned when he saw the EC-17 blaster sitting on the table, and goes "Absolutely NOT, we DO NOT work on firearms!" He further goes on to say that there is just too much at stake, from insurance to liability, etc. And then.....he noticed who I was and proceeds to slow his roll and he goes "Wait a second you're that Star Wars costume guy, right?" (Cause it's been a few months since I was there last

After I nodded my head he begins to laugh and goes "What can we help you with this time?" I proceed to tell him that I'm looking for a solution in which to mount my EC-17 Blaster and thought why not use super strong rare earth magnets on a metal hand guard. He liked the idea and suggested a mild steel. I told him to make an exact duplicate of the aluminum hand guard and make one out of his suggested metal. After a couple days it was done (These guys work quick!). and the results....

Limited-Productions-EC-17-Hand-Guard.jpg

(Top = Polymer Armory's - Aluminum Hand Guard)

(Bottom = Limited Productions - Mild Steel Hand Guard)

And the fit...?

Limted-Production-Hand-Guard-on-EC-17.jp

Fits like a glove - I couldn't be happier with the results. These guys do absolutely quality work! I'd also like to share a YouTube video of the magnet idea...

I'm fairly confident that the EC-17 will stay in it's holster while walk about. Those rare earth magnets I got are incredibly strong. Even now I'm thinking of creative ways to mount the holster to the boot without having to rely on the four 1/8" in rivets for the strength. As I'm sure taking out my EC-17 will put stress on the rivets and leather. I'm fielding any ideas or suggestions on that front and would welcome input.

I know this was a long post and I wanna think you for sticking with me. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Best,

-Iron

Nice vid.  That’s how I was thinking about doing mine.  Great to see how well it works 

• Like 1

Nice work! As to the holster, it’s not going to be the removal of the blaster that will stress the rivets, but more the holster catching on objects as you troop because it juts out from the side of the boot.

As Pete said, using large backing washers should do the trick, but I’ve seen some scouts use one of those flexible “For Sale” signs and create a 1” strip that runs from one washer to the next across the top and again at the bottom. No chance of that tearing through.

• Like 2

I also forgot to mention what I think is equally important when looking at the more spendy EC-17 options, And it may be the one thing that folks may forget about and that is the hardware used for the EC-17. I know, I know - not many people are going to be inspecting it that closely. I guess I'm just one of those people that if it is my personal EC-17 and I know it is there, then it bugs me 😏, so here is what comes (Hardware wise) with the kit from Polymer Armory...

Polymer-Armory-Hardware.jpg?rlkey=firw3t

Which when looking at Polymer Armory's provided hardware, isn't entirely accurate when you look at the photos on Scoutopedia...

Scoutopedia-EC-17-Blaster-Pic-of-Hardwar

Here it shows that the screws being used are slotted, which I think is of era. And the ones provided with Polymer's kit are Philips. Also, the handguard screws are not flush with the handle, they protrude a little bit which suggests they are what is considered "Oval Head". It is here that the little Ma & Pop Hardware Shops fill in nicely.

During my Boba Fett build I ran across this local hardware store when my wife was on the hunt for some "Spring Themed" decorative pieces for our home. I begrudgingly decided to go with her (Just not my thing - Hahaha!) But has since been one of my favorite places to go for things JUST like this! You just can't find hardware like this in big box stores - at least I can't. But here is what I got....

Carmichaels-Selection-of-Vintage-Hardwar

Kinda hard to see from the above picture so here's a better shot of it....

Carmichaels-Vintage-Hardware-on-EC-17.jp

My intent is to tap the holes a bit larger for the handguard and for all hardware used on this piece to use a bit of JB Weld Plastic Bonder which bonds plastic to metal effectively (Kinda like Loctite products). I'll definitely share pics of the EC-17 progress and of course with it completed. But if my calculations are correct - it should turn out pretty great! One final note, please don't think I'm in any way putting down Polymer Armory's kit - cause I'm not, as I said before, this is one helluva kit! And I'm very happy with it. This is merely an observation I wanted to point out for others that may take interest - i.e. Accuracy Nuts.

😎 👍

Cheers,

-Iron

• Like 2