Ruthar's First Order Treadspeeder Driver Build

Ruthar

First Order Treadspeeder Driver Build

53253456948_7bcbc2a0e7_b.jpg

Hey, everyone!

Hope you're all doing well. I can't believe how long it took me to actually kick this off (sorry to all those who I said "it's coming!" to along the way, especially @BikerScout007 who got that promise back at the Anaheim Celebration), but I'm pleased to say this build is finally here and underway. Haven't dug in too deep just yet, but have gathered up the components and put a plan in place, so it's time to put up the matching build thread to document the progress.

With an amazing experience aboard Disney's starcuirser before it closed, I have a renewed love for the First Order, so excited to dive in here. I've got a big pile of armour for multiple First Order related builds, so we should have plenty of parts laying around to knock this one out. Without further ado, let's get to work!

Contents

1) References/Resources

2) Parts List

3) Boots

4) Armour

5) Painting

6) Strapping

7-?) ???

8+) Submission Photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

References/Resources

I won't belabor this phase of the thread as there is already a fantastic resource here on these boards on the thread linked below.

As other things pop up, I'll post observations and such along the way, but that thread is a great starting point for anyone looking to see the character. :)

• Like 1

Parts List

Armour

- Helmet: Denuo Novo premiere fiberglass TLJ Stormtrooper

- Chest, ab, arms: KB Props/Denuo Novo pieces (TBD later which ones will use, most likely a mix of both)

- Knees & shins: @MrPoopie's marvelous 3D modeling work!

Soft Goods

- Pants: custom made

- Neckseal: TBD

- Gloves: TBD

- Gaskets: TBD, possibly custom made if I can find a suitable material

- Boots: Alpinestars SMX-6 v2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!  I'm sure @JollyRajR will be very happy not to be alone!

• Like 2

Boots

The first item that I managed to get (back in 2022) were the boots. I was incredibly lucky to find a pair on Facebook Marketplace for a steal in my size, so I quickly nabbed them. They are a fun green and black, but that will sadly be all covered in the end.

53252312357_09eac5019a_b.jpg

53252312362_f99e3c0ac5_b.jpg

I've never had much luck in painting boots since they crack and crumble eventually, so I'm trying a new product. I popped over to the local autobody shop and asked them what they use to paint seats and such, and they recommended this stuff:

53253474993_ea17308d34_b.jpg

It seems to be similar somewhat to plasti-dip, though it definitely smells much different! Before opening that, though, the soles are staying black - so tape, tape, tape! I just used your run-of-the-mill painter's tape.

53253480633_03963b7e42_b.jpg

Can instructions say "multiple thin coats," so that's what I started with. It has a strange spray feel, almost like a mix between spray paint and silly string.

53253184196_67c1985b9a_b.jpg

Have a couple coats to go, but here is what they look like after the first can. Will have to go pick up another can to finish them off as it will take a bit of white coverage to eliminate that green.

53253189761_cf15f4c091_b.jpg

Onward!

• Like 2

Boots (continued)

Not a big update, but an update all the same! I grabbed second can of the vinyl paint and applied the second coat. I think these look pretty good now, ready for the next bits of the build. A little minor cleanup needed around the lower edge, but nothing a little acrylic black and white can't handle. I'm going to set these aside for a few days to fully dry before handling further, I don't want to get in the way of any curing.

53262793287_ce3d3650c4_b.jpg

53263963108_bb08c6cc1c_b.jpg

53263675061_b2a71e365c_b.jpg

• Like 3

Armour - Helmet

A few boxes of goodies showed up this week! One of them was this fabulous helmet. This is the Denuo Novo Premiere TLJ helmet, a fiberglass piece that comes fully lined. I know there are lots of opinions about Anovos/DN/etc., but, for better or worse, they do make a fabulous helmet. Here are some pics!

53270532595_e3d2cc9a1d_b.jpg

53269175177_ba48d60822_b.jpg

53270532600_20968e890e_b.jpg

53270532585_12b8913df9_b.jpg

53270350958_c9d5326839_b.jpg

I'll be getting good mileage out of this bucket - will be using it with a fresh FOTK build (TLJ) as well. I've always liked the TFA bucket, but the addition of teeth and a sharper nose angle make it that much more aggressive which I like even more. It came with padding (not pictured), so I'll add that, some fans, and a wireless mic in the future.

• Like 2