Belt Help?

LTCAlex

Major frustration. After working so hard to get my stupid costume approved in time for Fan Expo Canada, after one wear my belt cracks and nothing I've tried seems to work.

List of things I've tried:

- E6000 a piece of scrap to the back

- multiple layers of E6000 both to front and back of scrap/crack

- multiple attempts to fill crack with ABS paste

Halp, am I stupid? Am I missing something? I would really like to wear this costume again but I can't if the belt's gonna break in half next time I put it on. There's also several really tiny and minor cracks on the belt in other places as well (such as right above the big one, in fact, as seen in the pic.) Those I've had a bit better luck with ABS paste. But the big one is giving me the middle finger and I am extremely upset.

1VPvejV.jpg

We have all been there. I have had one belt, a chest and a forearm crack or snap in half.  I used the same repairs you are using and even tried to use PLA and a soder iron to weld. In every case they just slowed the inevitable break. I bought new pieces and reinforced each one with ABS glued to the back for support to help give it some structure. My belt and chest cracked and broke due to having it too tight. I now use hidden velcro, snaps, and magnets to hold the items where I want them and keep the straps loose to allow some give for movement. It is very fraustrating, but don't let it discourage. The scouts one of the best and iconic outfits in Star Wars.

• Like 2

Hard to tell from the pic, but the angle of the bend there seems very sharp.  Making that curve a little more gradual with a heat gun might help prevent further cracking.  

Just like @Dmorja said above, I've done the same things you have done, and all it does is slow the process.  I ended up getting a new belt from Studio Creations.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, with a crack like that at a significant stress point, no amount of gluing or abs pasting is going to bond it back together at full strength. You might be able to get it functional for a few more troops, but eventually it will just crack again.

If you can, I'd recommend ordering a replacement. When you rig up the replacement belt, make sure you heat up the belt so that it curves around your waist. Forcing the plastic to bend will just cause it to stress and eventually crack/break.

Sorry this happened, but like the others said, we've all been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

Guess my Scout's vacationing on Scarif for a while then. 😅

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LTCAlex said:

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

Guess my Scout's vacationing on Scarif for a while then. 😅

I used duct tape to get mine through a few troops until I got the replacement.  Good ol' duct tape!

• Like 1

Just now, BikerScout007 said:

I used duct tape to get mine through a few troops until I got the replacement.  Good ol' duct tape!

Just like the Force - a dark side, a light side, and binds the universe together!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1