WIP: New to me Armory Shop (re)build.

dcx13

Recently took ownership of a complete Armory Shop Patrol Trooper kit. Previous owners were relatively close in size to me, so soft parts should only need some minor tailoring. The hard parts, on the other hand, will need work. When I got it from @vbechtol, he was up front about what needed to be done & sent a few photos detailing the trouble spots. None of it looks too terrible, but my main concern now is the rarity of these kits, and the ability to get replacement pieces if needed.  

So, for now, I patiently await for the mail to be delivered, and see what I'll be working with.

Pics of the damaged spots (prior to shipping).

fa60e0d1739d907cd0d57d7605ad6b3b.jpg

14c2686c112b430274770e7840894d3e.jpg

8bb123e9bdc86b5de5913249669c8efe.jpg

873c3687a8991d65bffda9e63cc3928e.jpg

4f4ac194507a37ae8d9bfd7873e1823e.jpg

• Like 2

Dont know if you have access to a 3D printer (or someone that does), but @MrPoopie has created a complete set of Patrol Trooper armor files.   If something isn't salvageable, maybe it can be replaced.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Dont know if you have access to a 3D printer (or someone that does), but @MrPoopie has created a complete set of Patrol Trooper armor files.   If something isn't salvageable, maybe it can be replaced.  

I've got a pair of Anycubic Kobra Max printers primed & ready (they're currently churning out parts for my Death Watch mando) . I've also got @MrPoopie files bookmarked as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dcx13 said:

I've got a pair of Anycubic Kobra Max printers primed & ready (they're currently churning out parts for my Death Watch mando) . I've also got @MrPoopie files bookmarked as well.

Cool!  I just printed one for my daughter (scaled down for a 6 year old of course) and the results were really great

• Like 2

The box has arrived!! As expected, a few of the more fragile bits are broken (thanks USPS), but everything else is mainly intact & serviceable. The helmet, is absolutely unscathed! I'll get everything laid out & do an inventory of what needs repairing over the weekend. 

Has anyone printed some of the more flex-prone pieces out of TPU, or similar materials? Thoughts?

Guess it's time to get the files@MrPoopiewhipped up.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dcx13 said:

Has anyone printed some of the more flex-prone pieces out of TPU, or similar materials? Thoughts?

I printed all the strapping as well as the collar and the sides of the abs out of TPU. The front ab section and the trapezoid section on the lower back are rigid PETG parts.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MrPoopie said:

I printed all the strapping as well as the collar and the sides of the abs out of TPU. The front ab section and the trapezoid section on the lower back are rigid PETG parts.

2kg of white TPU ordered. The files are amazing!! The checklist pdf is a nice touch too!

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2023 at 9:04 PM, dcx13 said:

2kg of white TPU ordered. The files are amazing!! The checklist pdf is a nice touch too!

I have just started the costume. I am working on the helmet (bought raw) and am awaiting the delivery of a 3D printer. I have no experience of 3D printing and had not even thought of the filament beyond PLA and the TPU parts included in MrPoopies excellent files. Now that you have mentioned PETG and having researched it, are there any specific parts of the armour which would be better in PETG rather than PLA?

There’s nothing wrong with using PLA, it’s just a matter of durability. PLA is plenty good for making all the parts, but PETG is a bit more robust when it comes to heat - less likely to warp if it’s left in the car, for example. I’m using Polymaker “CosPLA” which is a bit more heat resistant & much easier to sand - they designed it specially with cosplayers in mind. So far so good. 
You can print with whatever you feel like is best for your project, as evidenced by the Armory Shop kit’s material, which is really fragile, and the reason I am now rebuilding the entire costume with a mix of TPU, PLA, and vac-formed parts from Walt’s Trooper Factory. 

15 hours ago, dcx13 said:

There’s nothing wrong with using PLA, it’s just a matter of durability. PLA is plenty good for making all the parts, but PETG is a bit more robust when it comes to heat - less likely to warp if it’s left in the car, for example. I’m using Polymaker “CosPLA” which is a bit more heat resistant & much easier to sand - they designed it specially with cosplayers in mind. So far so good. 
You can print with whatever you feel like is best for your project, as evidenced by the Armory Shop kit’s material, which is really fragile, and the reason I am now rebuilding the entire costume with a mix of TPU, PLA, and vac-formed parts from Walt’s Trooper Factory. 

Great advice - thanks. I think I will start my 3D printing journey using the PLA+ I purchased with the printer and print some of the smaller parts like the belt boxes, to gauge the results (this will also allow me to become familiar with print settings). I can imagine that some of the larger pieces that experience friction, such as the chest/abdomen, will suffer from wear and tear. Whereas, forearms will not.