Future Arborist: Scout Build

Worst

Day end report

Finished my flak jacket today. This was most of the days work but I'm happy with how it turned out

1000005047fcfa1abd6e3130f2.jpg

1000005046bdf773de683dcc31.jpg

Tomorrow we'll see if I can finish the riding patches. Otherwise I might be making a run to Michael's for some EVA foam for the lower section of the cod

• Like 6

Last day of my Scout-cation. I didn't sleep great last night so I'm going to not push too hard. 

I tested the patterns I made for the riding patches and they don't really fit properly. The back one is perfect but I'll need to rework the front one. Put that on hold until next week. 

I took a trip to Home Depot and picked up a husky roller tote. Now that things are getting close to completion I should start putting them somewhere other than my office floor.  I also stopped at Michaels and got some foam sheets (the crafting kind, not the upholstery kind) for the cod. I'll try to knock that out next week as well. 

Finally I spent some time cleaning up a few of the armor pieces to get them ready for elastic. I should be able to start knocking out the easier stuff (bicep, forearm, and knees). While I do more research into how to handle the belt, chest/shoulders/back and holster. I'll be posting a lot slower these next couple weeks but my goal is submission by end of March.

• Like 2

Always good to take a bit of break Bill. Slow and easy wins the race so work at your pace and hope you get some good sleep! Keep up the great work!

• Like 3

Ok, took another stab at creating a pattern for the suede patches. This time I cut them out of some spare duck cloth that I had so I can better see what needs adjusted. 

PXL_20240226_19591739109fd20a594a6bd01.j
PXL_20240226_2032397428898ad45a73471d2.j

My plan is to only stitch 3 of the seams and leave the front crotch seam more or less open and just glue the suede into place. Since it's covered by the cod, it shouldn't be noticeable and it will mean I can be a little more flexible on the front and position everything appropriately. 

I'll try to get it sewn up and pinned in place Wednesday but I'm already feeling more confident that this will be a bit more successful than the last attempt.

• Like 2

Question for the collective brain trust. What is/Is there an appropriate amount of return edge on the chest and back armor. This is marked with 1/4 in tape and I don't want to go too far if there should be more.

PXL_20240227_16173730672c10a2bce0b6b66.j
PXL_20240227_1617431903d98e486d283d588.j
PXL_20240227_161749172.MPd781ad4c2ae39d5

Unlike the TK or TD crl's we don't have a specific standard for the return edge. 

Based on where you've taped, I think you might want to add a bit more return edge, but it doesn't need a lot more. 

Check the Scoutopedia for more reference shots: 

MOTM_7825.jpg

Side%20Shot.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chopper said:

Unlike the TK or TD crl's we don't have a specific standard for the return edge. 

Based on where you've taped, I think you might want to add a bit more return edge, but it doesn't need a lot more. 

Perfect, I'll give a little room to breathe. I can always take it in a little more if I need to. Thanks @Chopper

• Like 1

Ok, please ignore the bunching and very unflattering photos. My plan is to stitch the leg seams, and butt seam. Then glue everything on to the front. Then pull things into a good spot and glue in the rear as well. Then I'll go back over it with stitching around the edges.  I believe the riding patch in the back is a bit too high and the front is looking good. It'd be good to have someone who knows what they are doing weigh in.

PXL_20240228_190917191.MP330ee0e5de4a1dcPXL_20240228_191134138-18d1fc507e473b570

Aside from the bunching you mentioned, the front looks okay. You don't need as much material in back. Check my edit in green in the attached image.

You might want to try using fabric fusing tape, which is like an iron on adhesive tape for fabric, instead of glue. They usually have it at Jo-Ann's Fabrics.

Patch.JPG

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Chopper said:

They usually have it at Jo-Ann's Fabrics.

Back to Joann's it is! Glad to hear that the back is just removing some fabric. I was mostly going off the CRL photo which looks like it goes much further back, but looking again at the Scout-o-pedia it seems like that might be a bit exaggerated.

To add, for the front part of the riding patch, you want the outer edge of it just shy of center on your thigh. So, imagine a line going down the front of your thigh, right down the center, and you want the edge to be about an inch or two inside. Looks like you're coming along well!

And yeah, you don't need a lot showing on the back edge.

• Like 2

To add, for the front part of the riding patch, you want the outer edge of it just shy of center on your thigh. So, imagine a line going down the front of your thigh, right down the center, and you want the edge to be about an inch or two inside. Looks like you're coming along well!
And yeah, you don't need a lot showing on the back edge.
That's more or less what I was aiming for with the front part. Does it seem like I should make any adjustments?
  • Like 1

Small update, I'm not going to post pictures until I finish cleaning up the edges, but I started work on the riding patches today. The patches are glued in place using the fusing material @Chopper suggested and I trimmed the back pattern a little bit as well. I just need to sew up the edges, glue the crotch seam into place and sew the legs back up. I should probably also attach the velcro for the butt flap while the legs are open. But I probably should have marked that *before* I ripped everything out.

• Like 4

Bill when you speak of adding Velcro for the butt flap, what are you referencing? Most of us just stitch the suede directly onto the flight suit.

Bill when you speak of adding Velcro for the butt flap, what are you referencing? Most of us just stitch the suede directly onto the flight suit.
Got it! I honestly had assumed it got Velcroed to the flight suit. But that's even easier. I hadn't thought too much about it yet so maybe I was misunderstanding what I had seen

Nope. Just sew it directly onto the suit. No Velcro needed. I thought perhaps you were trying to make it removable for some reason, like washing, but that’s unnecessary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Ok 2 posts incoming. First I took advantage of the warm weather yesterday (and today) and did a little painting. Obviously the helmet is not done but I got my first coat of enamel on and am very happy with how the finish is coming out. I'm going to do a light, high grit sand, clean and another coat today. I also knocked out the snout. After a little hiccup with the gray primer I was using, I think it came out pretty good. 

PXL_20240304_150826127e30e46e1ce3afc7b.j
PXL_20240303_204245915f77588c8573ac298.j

Edit: Didn't warrant a second post but here is after my second round of painting. I'm tempted to go one more round but I've run out of day. I've moved it inside to cure.

PXL_20240304_204254517-15ac2929627a7d868
PXL_20240304_204304773cb6be675b1ae94fe.j

Edited by Worst
Added addition paint photo
  • Like 1

Post 2 of 2 (or more) today. I need your feedback. I got the riding patches sewn on. they feel even. I finished one leg up with the strap and did an initial sew up. I might take the leg in a bit more but overall how does it look before I finish the second one.

PXL_20240304_14585568294fadbfa92b2882b.j

PXL_20240304_150009930f57a78bff35b3633.j

• Like 2

Hey Bill it's looking pretty good. Do you feel that thigh strap is tight enough? It shouldn't be taut but snug against your leg when you suit up. You're doing a great job with everything so keep it up!

• Like 1

Hey Bill it's looking pretty good. Do you feel that thigh strap is tight enough? It shouldn't be taut but snug against your leg when you suit up. You're doing a great job with everything so keep it up!
Yeah. I was actually worried it wasn't loose enough. It has a little play but is flat against the leg in most positions. That does help for round 2, I was going to try to let that one out ever so slightly but I won't do that
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Worst said:
15 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

Yeah. I was actually worried it wasn't loose enough. It has a little play but is flat against the leg in most positions. That does help for round 2, I was going to try to let that one out ever so slightly but I won't do that

Ok excellent. Carry on the great work!

Ok excellent. Carry on the great work!
I might change my opinion on that and redo it after I finish the second leg. But that's how it goes right?
  • Like 1