Black officer's hat as "B" alternate headgear?

dcx13

Black officer's hat as "B" alternate headgear?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Officer's cap as alternate headgear?

• Yes
    • No

What are everyone's thoughts on having a black officer's cap as part of the kit when situations do not allow for a helmet; i.e. Disney/public events where you can attend in costume, but are not allowed to have your face covered. The helmet would be along for the ride, but the cap would take its place in terms of staying "in uniform." I was also thinking of it as an easy way to stay in character when tending to a group's table/convention space, taking a break at an event but still in public view, etc.

It really depends on your garrison. Some are more lax, some are more strict.

I can only speak for mine, but when we're kitted up, we're encouraged to not remove our helmets while out and about unless it's absolutely necessary. At a con, it's different as it's a more relaxed environment, but even then, we're not around the booth.

I say, if you like wearing the cap and you've got an officer ranked costume (looking at you, Shoretroopers), why not? Or just wear a hat with no greeblie like the rest of us enlisted pukes. :D

• Like 2

Very much a garrison thing.

Our Disney events are always canon. Helmeted is helmeted, no exceptions. Costumes are to appear as the day they were approved.

Generally we request troopers to stay in character at events, and if one’s pulling a helmet off it’s done out of view of the public. Cons are the exception, more chilled. That said, if someone pulls their helmet off in the photo booth we move them out pretty snappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have to echo @Dart and @Tarok -- it's really going to vary by garrison and I see you are in San Francisco, ie Golden Gate Garrison, and they are known for being pretty strict.  

I'm not aware of events where helmeted characters are not allowed -- I mean, when people ask for Star Wars, generally helmets are part of the deal!  

But yes, at cons if you are asked to say, man the booth (which would involve speaking to folks about the Legion and how to join), I can imagine they'd allow you to remove your helmet and in that case the black hat is a good way to maintain some of the illusion.  

• Like 2

Personally I dont understand these canon non canon troops, the specifics of the CRLs are clear and thats what should be abided by. 

I would have to agree with the team on this one. The only time I have doffed my bucket was to work the table with the approval of my GCO and I did wear a black officers cap. What Mickey says about "illusion" is very important which is why troopers won't take their buckets off until they're out of public view. The DSG is not the strictest Garrison but anything affecting the CRL needs our GML/GCO approval before we exercise doing anything like that.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:33 PM, BikerScout007 said:

I have to echo @Dart and @Tarok -- it's really going to vary by garrison and I see you are in San Francisco, ie Golden Gate Garrison, and they are known for being pretty strict.  

I'm not aware of events where helmeted characters are not allowed -- I mean, when people ask for Star Wars, generally helmets are part of the deal!  

But yes, at cons if you are asked to say, man the booth (which would involve speaking to folks about the Legion and how to join), I can imagine they'd allow you to remove your helmet and in that case the black hat is a good way to maintain some of the illusion.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I get the whole CRL is what we go by, but I'm asking the cap question in terms of situations where wearing a helmet, aside from putting on for personal pics, is non-negotiable. I'm looking specifically at events like ones on Disney properties, Oogie Boogie, Disney After Dark events around May 4th, etc.
From the park costume guidelines:

"For Guests Ages 14 and Older... 

• Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
  • Masks of any kind may not be worn, except for medical purposes."

I spoke with a few of the security guards while I was there last month, and they all said essentially the same thing as the rules state, with the caveat that they understand the SW fan experience, and are completely fine with popping ye olde bucket on to take pics here 'n there, but wearing it around will lead to problems. Like I said  in my original post, I just figured the cap would be a good way of maintaining an "in uniform" appearance when certain situations don't allow for helmets.

55 minutes ago, dcx13 said:

I get the whole CRL is what we go by, but I'm asking the cap question in terms of situations where wearing a helmet, aside from putting on for personal pics, is non-negotiable. I'm looking specifically at events like ones on Disney properties, Oogie Boogie, Disney After Dark events around May 4th, etc.
From the park costume guidelines:

"For Guests Ages 14 and Older... 

• Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
  • Masks of any kind may not be worn, except for medical purposes."

I spoke with a few of the security guards while I was there last month, and they all said essentially the same thing as the rules state, with the caveat that they understand the SW fan experience, and are completely fine with popping ye olde bucket on to take pics here 'n there, but wearing it around will lead to problems. Like I said  in my original post, I just figured the cap would be a good way of maintaining an "in uniform" appearance when certain situations don't allow for helmets.

Again - this is a question for your Garrison.  As a Detachment, we only have a role in creating CRLs based on the canon sources.  As there is no canon source of an off duty Scout or Shore wearing a black cap and no helmet, it will never be a part of the CRL.   

If you're asking if you can wear a cap on your own time at Disneyland --- well, sure.  You can do whatever you want.  The 501st doesn't troop at Disneyland so our CRL has no bearing there.  I'd be more surprised if they let you wear your costume in the park.  They are usually pretty strict about those sorts of things, as they don't want Guests being confused with the actual Cast.  

• Like 1