Black Series Helmet - NOT APPROVABLE

Looks like hasbro is releasing their own scout helmet this summer. For a licensed helmet it doesn't look terrible. Not perfect but for $132 it's pretty decent. I'll probably pick it up to do a comparison if anyone would be interested?ac7f03ecf285f192463f816c442815c9.jpg9ceccef065cecf2c024219ba6421122e.jpge09b65a90e3e411fbb77cb1cf9d4afef.jpgfc2752584b0c7b88cf9e2ad217ed0314.jpgac6e39530fb28b186043048549f082f4.jpgc6b11b4e180a399a2ab9be8b1f97f9b4.jpg8a7ad851f18d8ac4f1755adc5b9e7eac.jpgd5146c478fadf11d605281a37708eadd.jpg

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yup. We've been talking about this with the Armory team since we heard about it. It looks ok but until we see it in person, it's hard to say what it's like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I saw the helmet in person today at the Celebration Hasbro booth. Whilst its ok for a display piece it will need a lot of work to bring it up to standard, I do have photos but I cant post yet as there is an embargo until the show opens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Hask said:

I saw the helmet in person today at the Celebration Hasbro booth. Whilst its ok for a display piece it will need a lot of work to bring it up to standard, I do have photos but I cant post yet as there is an embargo until the show opens.

Can you post what the issues are? I’m also at Celebration and need to know what’s to be “done” to the helmet?

8 hours ago, Whistler said:

Can you post what the issues are? I’m also at Celebration and need to know what’s to be “done” to the helmet?

The armory team has been reviewing it as more reveals have come out -- there are a number of seams, gaps, and cuts that would need to be filled, including, but not limited to, the battery compartment panel and the cuts in the gray "decal" sections.

We were planning on doing a thread covering what needs to be done to clear it for basic once we have one in hand. Until we actually have a production copy in our hands though, the most we can say is that it will definitely need some modifications to clear basic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

The armory team has been reviewing it as more reveals have come out -- there are a number of seams, gaps, and cuts that would need to be filled, including, but not limited to, the battery compartment panel and the cuts in the gray "decal" sections.

We were planning on doing a thread covering what needs to be done to clear it for basic once we have one in hand. Until we actually have a production copy in our hands though, the most we can say is that it will definitely need some modifications to clear basic.

Please! And are there any threads for all the other helmets in the TB series?

4 minutes ago, Whistler said:

Please! And are there any threads for all the other helmets in the TB series?

If you're interested in what mods are required to clear other black series helmets, then you'll need to go to the respective detachments or organizations for that info. FISD for Stormtroopers, Rebel Legion for X-Wing helmet, etc.

1 hour ago, Whistler said:

Sorry I should have been more specific.  I mean like RS props, and the other series of scout helmets.  

Ah, ok. Then this thread is what you're looking for:

• Thanks 1

I’m excited for this helmet because I think it would be a great bucket for my daughter. While she currently has a 3D printed helmet she doesn’t like it that much (she’s also 5 so…).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

I’m excited for this helmet because I think it would be a great bucket for my daughter. While she currently has a 3D printed helmet she doesn’t like it that much (she’s also 5 so…).

I think this would be perfect for her then

Saw more pictures of the helmet earlier and it definitely looks like it needs some work for basic. Probably more work than what it's worth tbh lol. A lot of seams to be filled, and the big one I noticed was the visor piece is all one thickness. I definitely would've died for something like this as a kid and I'll still probably get it, but I think we are all better off getting one of the "approved" helmets.

23 minutes ago, Donovan said:

Saw more pictures of the helmet earlier and it definitely looks like it needs some work for basic. Probably more work than what it's worth tbh lol. A lot of seams to be filled, and the big one I noticed was the visor piece is all one thickness. I definitely would've died for something like this as a kid and I'll still probably get it, but I think we are all better off getting one of the "approved" helmets.

Emphasis mine. That was the one aspect that we couldn't determine from the photos we've seen so far. Since the visor is a one piece thickness, then that's definitely going to be an issue for clearance and not something that's easily modified.

• Like 1

I managed to get three photos of the lid at celebration out of the display cabinet (really nice lady brought one out for me to see and grab photos) but I'm struggling to upload them as files to big and I can't work out how to rescale them if someone wants to pm me a email I'll fire them over 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flakey80 said:

I managed to get three photos of the lid at celebration out of the display cabinet (really nice lady brought one out for me to see and grab photos) but I'm struggling to upload them as files to big and I can't work out how to rescale them if someone wants to pm me a email I'll fire them over 

We don't have unlimited hosting capacity on the forums, so if you want to host them on imgur, flickr, dropbox, or even google photos, then you can post the links.

Thank you very much for taking these photos and making them available to us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Thank you very much for taking these photos and making them available to us.

Not a problem, hope they help you guys out,sorry I couldn't get more was on a time limit as she said she wasn't ment to have brought it out from the back 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2023 at 8:59, Chopper said:

El equipo de la armería lo ha estado revisando a medida que surgían más revelaciones: hay una serie de costuras, huecos y cortes que deberían rellenarse, incluidos, entre otros, el panel del compartimento de la batería y los cortes en el gris. secciones de "calcomanía".

Estábamos planeando hacer un hilo que cubriera lo que se necesita hacer para limpiarlo como básico una vez que tengamos uno en la mano. Sin embargo, hasta que tengamos una copia de producción en nuestras manos, lo más que podemos decir es que definitivamente necesitará algunas modificaciones para borrar lo básico.

I would really like to be able to read that thread about the comments you have about the HB helmet, when you have that information available. I don't have that sharp eye and when you share observations it's a good learning experience for everyone.

• 4 weeks later...

My Sons arrived today. Its heavy and bigger than my lid, I cut out the ears and weathered it. For a display piece or non CRL costuming its ok.

Photos are out of the box and post mods.

3ca196d29ead1a26d9e9c604bd8f8054.jpg32628bc249187f84143c628f79633603.jpga32c737eed9fdd4b88a5680272275587.jpg6fbdf317201269488d65a0db327428c6.jpg2befb88c5a0cd6c3ac905cad918bfbb2.jpge96b69fa1ca372613f8318ef865ff9d7.jpg7d247943f3d617ed4dbe4ec89ddf1be1.jpg

• Like 1

Alright everyone, now that we have a helmet in hand, I wanted to share the armory team's review of the Black Series helmet.

Overall, as Hask said, this is a pretty nice display helmet, but ultimately it is not appovable out of the box. Furthermore, there are some elements to the design that, even modified, would make it difficult, if not impossible, to approve for 501st use.

Here's some of the major items we picked out in terms of 501st approval:

• Ear openings would need to be drilled out.
  • Mesh on mic would need to be painted black.
  • Any and all seams, such as those around the battery compartment and around the ears on the sides would need to be filled, sanded, and painted. You'd probably have to paint the whole helmet.
  • Indented features or "vents" not present on the original helmets, such as the faceplate decals, the black parts of the rear traps, or the black bars on the lower rear, would need to be filled, sanded, painted, and replaced with the proper stickers or decals.
  • Bottom edge of the face plate should be all white, not half black, half white.
  • Rotator bolts have no indent and would need to match the 3M bolts (Level 2 criteria).
  • And here's the big one: unfortunately, the inner part of the visor shroud is a major issue with the helmet. For approval, a helmet needs to be "true to the shape of original screen used helmet", which means that the inner portion of the visor should have a return edge. That's not the case here, as the inner portion of the visor shroud seems to be flush with the rim.

Sorry folks. It does look nice on a shelf, but you should stick to the vetted vendors for 501st approval.

Scout lid.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Aww, that's a shame.  The detailing on the snout does look nice, aside from using stormtrooper mesh LOL

I'm considering getting one for my shelf display, though, for sure!  (Assuming that $132 price holds)

Do we know when they'll go on sale in the US?

Just jumping in to say there is no mesh in the ears they are moulded closed and they are painted on. The plastic is thick. The visor opening mechanism is part of the interior shell. I tried to remove the interior to bring down the weight but without breaking said mechanism I dont think its possible.

• Thanks 4

• BikerScout007 changed the title to Black Series Helmet - NOT APPROVABLE