Scout Trooper vs. Shadow Scout

okami79

Hello,

I hope that's the right subforum for my question. If not I am sorry for that and maybe an admin can tranfer the topic to the right spot.

I am a complete newbie with costumes and was thinking about which armor I would like to build/wear.

After careful consideration it became the Scout Trooper. I've always thought it's an awesome armour. Now I bought an armor for my own 3D printing here https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/1418128126/star-wars-biker-scout-trooper-full?ref=yr_purchases501st approved according to seller.

Now I would like to know if the print is also suitable for a Shadow Scout. I like this armour too.
I haven't seen any differences in design between the regular Scout and the Shadow Scout. Not in this way as you can see at the Shadowtrooper and Stormtrooper.

Does anybody know if there are any differences?
Or has this already been discussed in the forum before and I just haven't seen it? Then I would be very grateful for the link.

Thank you in advance.

It’s important to note that while certain vendors have been vetted for use within the 501st, nothing sold is ever 501st approved. A vetted vendor means that their product meets current CRL standards, but final approval lies with your GML and how your costume compares to CRL requirements once finished.

That being said, looking quickly at the Etsy link provided, I can tell you that the scout helmet will not meet basic CRL requirements. The vents around the bridge if the nose and on the top of the face plate need to be decals as do the traps in the back. The STL model shows that they are real. They will need to be filled in as well as the trap details in the back.

I would ask @Chopper to take a look at the images on the site to see if there are additional areas that need to be addressed for approval.

With regard to the Shadow Trooper, that CRL is managed by Special Ops, and it would be best to consult with them regarding whether the files meet their requirements. Their forum can be accessed via the link below:

https://specops501st.com

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, okami79 said:

501st approved according to seller.

Keep in mind -- they all say that. 

@Aradun is correct though -- that helmet alone is not approvable.  

4 hours ago, Aradun said:

. A vetted vendor means that their product meets current CRL standards, but final approval lies with your GML and how your costume compares to CRL requirements once finished.

Yes, sorry. That's what I want to say. I read and hear that the final approval is on the side of the GML. I just want to be sure that there are not Non-Star-Wars Element on the 3D-Files. I heart about a Mando-helmet with Optimus Prime elements.

That being said, looking quickly at the Etsy link provided, I can tell you that the scout helmet will not meet basic CRL requirements.

OK, that's not so good, but maybe there is a chance to correct the File. 

I would ask @Chopper to take a look at the images on the site to see if there are additional areas that need to be addressed for approval.

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks for that. It helps a lot.

1 hour ago, BikerScout007 said:

Keep in mind -- they all say that.

Yeah, it seems so.😓
But it wasn't totally useless. The helmet is printed yet already and will be used on the Gamescom this year for a fun cosplay. Scout Trooper on holiday with beach outfit.

@Aradunyou mentioned in my Introduction threat some vendors. Maybe there are also some who are selling 3D-Files if that from Etsy is not useful for the 501st.

Thanks for the help.

3D printing can be “okay” for armor parts, but you should vet the sellers here with the armory team so you don’t waste money on files that will require a lot of work or modification to meet CRL requirements. The major
issue with 3D files is that the helmets generally aren’t very accurate, and can require a lot of extra steps to correct, that is, if they can be corrected at all.

Someone just inquired about 3D prints today, and the armory team gave some solid advice. Give this thread a read.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/topic/24064-is-there-a-best-3d-model-for-a-scout-helmet/

7 hours ago, Aradun said:

The major
issue with 3D files is that the helmets generally aren’t very accurate, and can require a lot of extra steps to correct, that is, if they can be corrected at all.

Ah ok, I see. Thanks for that information. It's a pity to hear, but understandable that not every print can be accurate. Good to know that before starting the rest.

7 hours ago, Aradun said:

Someone just inquired about 3D prints today, and the armory team gave some solid advice. Give this thread a read.

Thanks for that. That's  another reason to contact @Chopper to check if maybe the rest could be used.
But what would you recommend to use if you say "3D-printing can be "okay" for armor parts"?

I would shoot @MrPoopie a PM. He has created his own 3D print files and knows some of the better offerings available.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Aradun said:

I would shoot @MrPoopie a PM. He has created his own 3D print files and knows some of the better offerings available.

Ok. Thanks. 

But only to be curious. How did you build your armor? What materials did you use?

1 hour ago, okami79 said:

Ok. Thanks. 

But only to be curious. How did you build your armor? What materials did you use?

The overwhelming majority of Scouts kits in the 501st will be Vacuum Formed ABS plastic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, okami79 said:

Ok. Thanks. 

My Girlfriend's Scout was mostly 3D printed and my Patrol Trooper is 3D printed.

• Like 1