Build was stalled, but back on track - need guidance

RZill

Hello!  I had a good start on building my armor, but hit a snag and then just ran out of hours in the day to get back to it.  Now, my interest has been rekindled, and I'd like to get this done for a big event just after July 4th.

My snag was that my undersuit was too small, so I purchased the Kolossus coveralls jumpsuit (pic attached).  I need to transfer the suede thigh patches from my original suit that was too short to my new undersuit.  Any help would be appreciated.  

I know I'll need to remove the original patches carefully, so I purchased a stitch remover - also will need to remove pockets from the new undersuit.  Am I overthinking this, or is there some sort of blueprint out there to guide me?  Once I get this done, a lot of the hard boady armor is already done, but possibly need some adjustments.

Thanks!

z.JPG

I have said Kolossus undersuit. I removed the butt pockets, and the stitching around the utility pocket on the side leg, and cut it close to the seam since it was like super reinforced at that area. Had a tailor sew the suede on since I didn't trust my skills to that part of the build ;)

• Thanks 1

You don’t need to remove the chest pockets as they won’t be visible under the armor. Just those noted by the Duke above.

As for the suede. You’re actually ahead of the game because you don’t need to create any pattern. Just carefully seam rip the patches and butt flap from your original suit. To attach them to your new suit, you’ll need to seam rip the outside leg so that you can run the suit through the sewing machine. Make sure to have the patches pinned to the suit so that everything lays the way you want and don’t forget to add your 2” thigh straps! You’d be surprised how often builders forget and the have to do a little seam ripping to add the straps later.

Once the patches are attached, turn the suit inside out and stitch the leg closed. Here’s where you can taper the leg too. Grab a pair of jeans, lay them flat, and measure the opening for your foot. If you’re using skinny jeans add an inch. Then use that measurement for the leg opening on your suit. I used chalk and a yard stick to run a line from from the end of the opening (seam ripped side) up to the waist, pinned it, and then stitched it closed.

This is also a good time to add an elastic strap to the bottom of the opening for your foot so that your pant legs don’t ride up when you put on your boots.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DukeOfNachos said:

I have said Kolossus undersuit. I removed the butt pockets, and the stitching around the utility pocket on the side leg, and cut it close to the seam since it was like super reinforced at that area. Had a tailor sew the suede on since I didn't trust my skills to that part of the build ;)

Awesome, thanks!

11 hours ago, Aradun said:

You don’t need to remove the chest pockets as they won’t be visible under the armor. Just those noted by the Duke above.

As for the suede. You’re actually ahead of the game because you don’t need to create any pattern. Just carefully seam rip the patches and butt flap from your original suit. To attach them to your new suit, you’ll need to seam rip the outside leg so that you can run the suit through the sewing machine. Make sure to have the patches pinned to the suit so that everything lays the way you want and don’t forget to add your 2” thigh straps! You’d be surprised how often builders forget and the have to do a little seam ripping to add the straps later.

Once the patches are attached, turn the suit inside out and stitch the leg closed. Here’s where you can taper the leg too. Grab a pair of jeans, lay them flat, and measure the opening for your foot. If you’re using skinny jeans add an inch. Then use that measurement for the leg opening on your suit. I used chalk and a yard stick to run a line from from the end of the opening (seam ripped side) up to the waist, pinned it, and then stitched it closed.

This is also a good time to add an elastic strap to the bottom of the opening for your foot so that your pant legs don’t ride up when you put on your boots.

Awesome, thank you both!