EC-17 Paint Question - Clear Coat

Hey Everyone!

Just had a quick question pertaining to doing a final clear coat on my EC-17. So my blaster is currently looking very nice with its 3-4 coats of Rustoleum flat black primer/paint.

It was recommended that I finish it off with a coat or two of Krylon Clear Acrylic coating. I was able to grab a can of Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic Coating and was wondering if anyone has used this in the past to add that final layer of protection to their blaster? The cap has the word "gloss" printed on it and I would like to add a layer but I don't want it to jump too far into the realm of looking too too glossy, really just want a light addition to compliment the flat black.

Attached are pics of the clear spray and my EC-17 in it's current paint form (no clear finish applied yet). Thanks ahead of time!

1.JPG

3.JPG

As they're different brands, make sure you give plenty of time in between using the clear. I mean, wait a good week or two to allow the black paint to fully cure and harden before trying the clear on it. Sometimes, different brands don't layer well, and it usually has to do with the paint not having cured fully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Dart said:

As they're different brands, make sure you give plenty of time in between using the clear. I mean, wait a good week or two to allow the black paint to fully cure and harden before trying the clear on it. Sometimes, different brands don't layer well, and it usually has to do with the paint not having cured fully.

Thanks for the suggestion! I never would have thought to factor that in. I'll def give it the time to fully cure.

• Like 1

Your blaster photo appears to have a silver finish instead of black. Is it a shot of a base coat before you applied the flat black?

If your concern is how shiny it may be with the gloss coat, you may want to test how that gloss looks over the flat black first by testing on some wood. Most use a semi-gloss or flat clear coat.

I’ll second Dart’s observation about letting that Rusto cure fully. I’d give it several days. Mixing different brands can cause all sorts of reactions from cracking paint, to blistering, which means sanding and refinishing. If you can pick up a can of Rustoleum clear coat in your desired finish you’d be better off.

• Like 2

For reference, the screen used blasters had a gloss/semi-gloss sheen to it:

Hero%20Blaster%20ruler.jpg

Auction%20Blaster58.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Aradun said:

Your blaster photo appears to have a silver finish instead of black. Is it a shot of a base coat before you applied the flat black?

If your concern is how shiny it may be with the gloss coat, you may want to test how that gloss looks over the flat black first by testing on some wood. Most use a semi-gloss or flat clear coat.

I’ll second Dart’s observation about letting that Rusto cure fully. I’d give it several days. Mixing different brands can cause all sorts of reactions from cracking paint, to blistering, which means sanding and refinishing. If you can pick up a can of Rustoleum clear coat in your desired finish you’d be better off.

Hey man! So this is just due to my poor lighting ha! I'll do some lighting adjustments and try to get a better pic for ya. That desk its sitting on is black as well. I think its the lamp that I have at my computer desk distorting the actual look.

I'll go the safe route and pick up the Rusto clear instead like you suggested.

• Like 1

I use matte paint when I paint mine and then coat with the semi gloss or flat coat. Even the flat has a sheen to it and it comes off looking rather like a genuine firearm finish.  I have found, through quite a bit of headache, that gloss runs more and is harder for follow on coat to get a good grip on.  Whichever way you go, hold the can a good distance away and take your time between applying layers.  Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.  Spray paint is deceptive in that it appears to be a great idea, but in reality it takes a long time to get it on right.

• Like 1

So per advice here I ended up picking up the Rusto clear semi-gloss to keep in line with the Rusto flat black. Tomorrow will be a solid 5 days of letting the flat cure and the weather in my area should be opportune for doing an initial coat of the clear. Def going to apply it from a good distance to avoid running and other potential issues. I'll post up some new pictures on Monday or Tuesday once the initial coat or two are dry!

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

Perfect. It's best to keep the same primers, paints, and clear coats the same formulation as we've seen, and made, our share of mistakes using different products for each step. Just remember to start the spray before and after you pass over your blaster and keep the coats light. Keep up the excellent work Avi!

• Like 1