Jacket/Undersuit?

Lyferikson

SO, as we all know, there are currently no stores that offer the Patrol Trooper jacket/undersuit.

Therefore I need to ask: How else did everyone here get their undersuit? Custom sewing? Commissioning a sewing shop?

What was your experience like? What details do I share with the seamstress?

And most importantly, what is the best material to use? Faux leather? Real leather? Or something similar?

Thanks so much! 

(pic for attention)

9da7c905292efdbfdfc9ffaf194ddb05.jpg

@MrPoopie can answer this one.  He's the only one I know of that sewed his own

• Like 1

I'm going to copy and paste from another recent post. 

I used a pattern (Simplicity 8705) to start with and modified it to use a rear zipper instead of a front zipper. The shoulder/sleeve attachment isn't the correct style but it worked for Lvl 1. You could also modify a different pattern such as this one. It will also take some modifications to work properly. 

The fabrics that I used were a faux leather for the smooth parts, as well as a very light cotton for the parts on the chest and back that are hidden by the armor. As for the ribbed sections I used a Yaya Han ribbed faux leather fabric that Joann's used to sell but I don't think that they carry it any more. It was a difficult fabric to find even when I was building mine. It's also not cheap, when not on sale it was something like $30/yd.

You can create your own ribbing with a light vinyl (or leather) fabric and pipping but this can be pretty time consuming and a bit tricky to keep it consistent.

I found it best to start with finding a pattern that works for you and has the right collar and fit. Then I would make a test jacket (from scrap fabric) so that you can figure out the parts that need to be modified and how it fits you properly. Then you can start to create the sleeves. You'll need to have your arm armor done so that you know where everything will sit. The ribbing placement on the sleeves is somewhat dependent on where your armor sits. 

A good pattern and fabric will make this a fairly easy task but finding the fabric can be difficult. 

• Thanks 1