Sean’s MK2 Helmet - What isn’t accurate?

I’ve started printing Sean’s MK2 helmet and the more I research the next steps the more I keep coming across posts in various places where people say the same thing. That Sean’s helmet is approvable, but isn’t accurate and requires modification.

The thing is, that is all they ever say. No mention of what is inaccurate or what mods are required. 

so, I am looking for more information. What exactly is not accurate about his MK2 helmet and what are the list of mods required to bring it to accurate, and is that even possible with this helmet?

Thanks!

I have printed both Sean's Mk2 and Nico Henderson's Files(which are regarded as the most accurate files you can find). The biggest thing I have noticed is that Sean's Helmet is incredibly narrow.  The eye shape also scoop down farther than they should. They should be flatter across the bottom like the ones that Nico has.  It has the thin top ridge that needs to be painted black that Sean's was missing. Other than that there are just a lot of little things I have noticed. I'm currently at work so I can't name them all. The photo below should be enough to help. Sean's is in white, Nico's is the raw one. This photo was taken a couple months ago and this was the best comparison I have.

YndBU3uWYdLTxXwFUrk1-FMPN95pJqnIgNG2QfC6FJF9E_sqCGw37sypKxpL_6-LVnP8FBhWsvmo7pp1jmsmcOV1TWnqk6i6eGxhGr4HIXlrrQQ4YifymX9kdV3ZWhFGdlX6K9JXGU8OyuZskT7IhlmQpnJj_D2RNzm4w4vwgJwNNXgdpGhD5hbQf7YR_ZfU8DSABg-IWaCf8slcRm6X3RDx6SYo4gXPd732soTPqlEDPaRXAIWJ0ChFXRXXfGwJVyQ6NFLUSt2rbLdOXWPMr9ZBtl4pZvioNOOo2uPjgJtglcPvf1qgWqYp1Y4ksmghkJCBMjnLFbfzrXShDhEivfwgWjtuAscSd22nyKkD-mQk1jH9_HJdySrf1beA-rPp4i4JXZsxG4D1fGEp_fZGVjHbRkvvv8ufMrKQZFa34eEPSE8C1TvO00uOo7Y3kRqggWalMXyfpQgDM8_OPMcJAURxoCJZF9zfV7N9l4AeeanR8pYh6UK1vvlu3npCuBZhUFKj_PBpbl8IAOWunAFaNy5NSDbXOpc1_wNpLP5TY9aPTcPVxZIR3MP9OB3nFLicVvMCrd2UFnMS-6zo_8lzMOjczuCLFUtq0oDSxY_m7DkgC8lnZZUsoLi9gW-TM-Viw5jiXmnsdG4LzmMkpALkHH6Ku_Gn5Y45ikpeZvfm2nc-AuVc6_XH1fenhATNmSMtfrYdFg_Ibs7bt-U1w5vt7PSj78Jz0AUuvapcMU0HhHGOuS84wwkzHH1Vmfp1aqiUc4NFbSZTXmIFZhkXqKJXF1cR2q1JZc8SoZJ4Btkl2vpFMr87JBvnBylXGjNigk1BX6xCv-GaeIHXh7KIJh3Nx7zaipfXWOo0tYwpab1qWgtH_4zCnG4F_NNhs7mqmtGuzMqyX8z4gHC_y3HhRkRaBNBiY6vlnIrOQsre0dtcsDGaqMLPRlt1St-jvWWOD9xFAZrD_01F_30mRdJMIwqiUgzN3OxNIGSpQ-VKz8H5mNvvQvbFskiBGjQvoDIXBLB4Re_QaoyHhs5KYrtPHEvDclzRSAH3APQ=w751-h568-no?authuser=0

@Minimo @KOtrooper @BikerScout007 Can you help answer this question regarding Sean Fields Shoretrooper lid?

• Like 1

One detail I noticed while looking over some parts are the notches on the "Cheek.". You can see in the images below that while they do start at the bottom edge, the original has the notches curve inward while Sean's are just angled in slightly. 

SOohsCD.jpg

1CUT8qo.png

Another detail I noticed. 

On the original helmet around the neckline, there seems to be a ridge almost like the black part is inset into the helmet. On Sean's helmet, this ridge is just a bezel and the round black oval near the back of the helmet seems to come down too far. 

5YnE8JI.jpg

EeJcd2J.png

Aside from adding a backer on the 12 vents in the back, there isn't a lot more to be done. The overall look isn't as accurate but it's pretty darn close and is approvable once it is painted and weathered appropriately.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

Aside from adding a backer on the 12 vents in the back, there isn't a lot more to be done. The overall look isn't as accurate but it's pretty darn close and is approvable once it is painted and weathered appropriately.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

In what way is it not overall look accurate?

Accuracy is always something I strive for and enjoy trying to attain. In this case I really would like to know what is inaccurate so I can either:

A. Attempt to fix it after printing
B. Decide if it is worthy of moving forward
C. Alter the 3D files to reach a higher level of accuracy

The challenge with people stating that it isn't accurate, but close, is that unless I do a deep dive myself, there isn't enough information to go on to make any choices. It is cool that it is approvable, but... perhaps it shouldn't be? If it isn't accurate why is it approvable? 

Perhaps another way to put this is, what would need to be done to the model to make this the top level approvable? Is it even possible? Is there perhaps a better model that I should be looking at?

• Like 1

I haven't printed out my own and done in-person comparisons to an Anovos or Niko helmet yet. Comparing photos is hard because of the perspective compression.

Things I have read are the blast shield placement/shape and overall shape (possibly being more 'squished').

If I can't really tell you the differences, that means they are so minor it doesn't matter. If you finish the helmet correctly (per the CRL), it'll be approvable. 

For the "most accurate" bucket, you'll want to search out Mr. Paul's helmet (I believe he only sells the final product) or Niko's helmet on etsy (STL files).

Hope that helps. If not, let me know!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 2:35 AM, ImperialWalker said:

In what way is it not overall look accurate?

Accuracy is always something I strive for and enjoy trying to attain. In this case I really would like to know what is inaccurate so I can either:

A. Attempt to fix it after printing
B. Decide if it is worthy of moving forward
C. Alter the 3D files to reach a higher level of accuracy

The challenge with people stating that it isn't accurate, but close, is that unless I do a deep dive myself, there isn't enough information to go on to make any choices. It is cool that it is approvable, but... perhaps it shouldn't be? If it isn't accurate why is it approvable? 

Perhaps another way to put this is, what would need to be done to the model to make this the top level approvable? Is it even possible? Is there perhaps a better model that I should be looking at?

I think you are getting hung up on the word Accurate. The word Accurate and Approvable are not one and the same and are not interchangeable. Accurate comes into play when you get into the higher levels of acceptance within the detachment. Frist level of approval is for acceptability. Does the Detachment accept something as what it is portrayed to be, yes...but if you want screen matched, then that is accurate. Its the same with all costumes, but you first have to answer the question of what do you want your build to be. if you want complete accuracy, then go with the high dollar and widely accepted items that are extremely screen accurate. but if you dont mind having slight details, those that most wont notice unless in a full on break down in a Lancer submission, and are happy that everything "accepts" you as a Shoretrooper, then having those slight variations within the Sean Fields Files will be ok for you. I guess my point is to touch on the fact that just because something isnt 100% accurate doesnt mean it isnt acceptable. If that was the case all CRL standards would be set for what is currently level 2/3 stuff and you wouldnt have an option at all. 

Seans helmet is accurate, just not AS accurate as others. maybe that is what should be stated?

Just my two cents. I love these type of discussions.

• Like 2