David Remnant Scout Build

Alright, I think I may actually complete this build. I sold off my last scout kit that was partially complete so I creating a new one. 

Armor - Studio Creations

Helmet - Kropserkel

Flight suit - Wampa Wear

Gloves - Wampa Wear

Cumberbund - member here

Boots - homemade (King Show)

I'm trying to get this done and approved for a troop the end of March, this will be by 3rd kit with the 501st.  I am trying to build to the lancer CRLs as I go, or at least be able to modify it later. 

I already have the flight suit and its been tailored (from my tie pilot) so that part is down. And while I wait for my armor I figured I'd knock the boots out. Of course the lead time for the armor slows down progress but I can get it all ready. This will be my third time making a set of these so its going fast. If it wasn't for the glue this would be a  one day build. I'll use these for basic approval until I can get a set from Imperial Boots.

For those of you thinking about making your own, do it! Its a great process, and pretty easy. I used CheeseWhoopy's tutorial for them 

Here the progress today, tomorrow I'll sew the velcro and top lip, glue the tubes on, and make the dog bones. 5mVsK5r.jpgyoHQ690.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like you're well on your way. If you're doing a Mando Scout with a goal of Level 2, then you can skip the imperial boots footwear and save yourself some additional cash. There's a number of issues with them that are not easily corrected for Level 2.

You're building your own boots, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to build them to the standard of Mando Scout Level 2.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chopper said:

Looks like you're well on your way. If you're doing a Mando Scout with a goal of Level 2, then you can skip the imperial boots footwear and save yourself some additional cash. There's a number of issues with them that are not easily corrected for Level 2.

You're building your own boots, so there's no reason that you shouldn't be able to build them to the standard of Mando Scout Level 2.

Cool, thanks for saving me some money! I'll review the level 2 CRLs before I continue

9 minutes ago, fragarock said:

Seeing this, I'm beginning to think that I too should have made my own boots. I'll be watching with great interest!

Do it! It's really easy too. I followed Cheesewoopey's tutorial here. 

Do it! It's really easy too. I followed Cheesewoopey's tutorial here. 

Your dog bone pattern looks very large but it may be the angle in the photo. If you snagged the pattern from the forum, keep in mind that it usually needs to be resized for your specific boot size. Just making sure that it is on your radar and that you aren’t assuming the pattern is good as is.

12 minutes ago, Aradun said:

Your dog bone pattern looks very large but it may be the angle in the photo. If you snagged the pattern from the forum, keep in mind that it usually needs to be resized for your specific boot size. Just making sure that it is on your radar and that you aren’t assuming the pattern is good as is.

That angle close up makes everything look odd. Yeah, I had to scale a few times before I found something I was happy with. Just used paper for the template. Here it is held in place, I haven't mounted yet

O4duQXQ.jpg

• Like 1

OK, so boots are done. There are some wrinkles after gluing around the toe and I'm going around the edge to clean up some jagged parts. For now I'm pretty happy with them, I will remake them before going for lancer. 

1U8zrOi.jpg

Now to start on the helmet. It's a Kropserkel I picked up from another Star Wars costume builder. Its a B pull but nothing that can't be worked with and once its weathered it won't really be noticed. I did a lot of final trimming, fitting, and sanding the edges. Still have to cut out the ear holes though.  I think I'm about ready to assemble it. I'm following the maker's build video just to make sure since my last scout helmet was a resin cast (which I love the weight of those). 

It came with an acrylic lens that has to be cut to shape, which is a big pain since my small band saw is in storage. So a lot of scoring, snapping, and sanding. 

kIo09mI.jpg

A question here, keeping the cumberbund from sliding down. On my last kit I would edge down over time. I thought about velcro on the flightsuit but that's not an option as my tie flightsuit doubles for this. Tough time finding a flightsuit, everyone seems to be out of stock on XLs 

So I'm open to ideas. I even thought about a basic suspender system under the flight suit but the holes may show with tie armor on 

What about putting Velcro on the scout belt front ”buckle” and then like where the rivets on each side meet the bund? I mean that’d work as long as you don’t share the bund with a RoTJ scout kit ;)

6 hours ago, Ghost40 said:

A question here, keeping the cumberbund from sliding down. On my last kit I would edge down over time. I thought about velcro on the flightsuit but that's not an option as my tie flightsuit doubles for this. Tough time finding a flightsuit, everyone seems to be out of stock on XLs 

So I'm open to ideas. I even thought about a basic suspender system under the flight suit but the holes may show with tie armor on 

I don't think suspenders will work, since for the mando scout there's going to be a gap between the chest armor and the bund, so they'll show.

The mando scout bund basically hangs on the belt by the pouches. I'd see how it all feels first, but once you have everything positioned right, if it's still dropping then you could put some velcro on the belt and bund and as long as your belt isn't dropping as well, then it should hold together okay.

6 hours ago, DukeOfNachos said:

What about putting Velcro on the scout belt front ”buckle” and then like where the rivets on each side meet the bund? I mean that’d work as long as you don’t share the bund with a RoTJ scout kit ;)

13 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I don't think suspenders will work, since for the mando scout there's going to be a gap between the chest armor and the bund, so they'll show.

The mando scout bund basically hangs on the belt by the pouches. I'd see how it all feels first, but once you have everything positioned right, if it's still dropping then you could put some velcro on the belt and bund and as long as your belt isn't dropping as well, then it should hold together okay.

Pretty solid ideas. Thanks for the input!

Working on the helmet today. It's a Kropserkel "B" pull I got from someone on the FB star wars groups. Not too bad for a B pull. Haven't mounted the faceplate or snout yet. Anyone see anything sticking out that would fail basic? 

Swujt5Z.jpg

8ZuXC2c.jpg

01s2duP.jpg

FXB74b9.jpg

• Like 1

Coming along nicely, just have to attach the tank. Will get the biceps, forearms, and knees completed tomorrow. Planning on making the alteration to the cumberbund to take out a couple of inches at the waist. I should be able to start weathering on Wednesday!

1rUBCax.jpg         

0Rx96mB.jpg

• Like 1

Happy to say I got the cumberbund properly centered in the back and added the stitching in the center to meet CRL. I also got the belt completed tonight, the buckles and boxes need some adjustments but I'm happy with the progress. 

So now all the parts are complete and fitted, all thats left is weathering! Tomorrow I'll start to dye the belts and cumberbund in tea, while thats going on I'll start laying down base coats. I'm a day behind where I thought I would be but weather permitting I'll be taking pictures for approval this weekend. 

lKSxH42.jpg

15JuTZR.jpg

• Like 1

Great work David! It's really starting to come together. Your pouches look a bit boxy but once you get them stained they should flatten out some. Should you need any pointers on weathering your gear check out TKZombie's thread. You're doing great and keep up the excellent work!

3 minutes ago, Retrofire said:

Great work David! It's really starting to come together. Your pouches look a bit boxy but once you get them stained they should flatten out some. Should you need any pointers on weathering your gear check out TKZombie's thread. You're doing great and keep up the excellent work!

Yeah. I was playing with inserts when putting things together. I plan to add a thin piece of foam to each so they aren't huge. 

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm going to have a look through. The white soft parts are in the tea bath now but I'm skeptical as to whether or not it will work the way I'm thinking. The cumberbund is the satin looking stuff so I don't think it will take it well. 

OK, I got through a lot of the weathering today. The tea bath worked pretty well. Went over the seams with the same colors I was using for the hard armor. Once it's all dry tomorrow i'll have a look in the day light to see where it needs touched up. Unfortunately the energy saver bulbs in my basement make everything look yellow in my pictures...

7pjo1q2.jpg

wTCpqiW.jpg

Dl9tPlJ.jpg

• Like 1

That's starting to really look good. If you need to highlight the seams on the soft good more you can always use fullers earth blends that the sandy's use in the MEPD. @Chopper has a lot of experience using that for his sandy. Keep it going and looking forward to seeing this go to completion.