Sean Fields armor scaling?

rykker78

Hey all! Just starting my printing with Sean Field's files at 100% scale but before I go too far down the rabbit hole, just wondering if 100% will be too large for me as I'm only 5ft7 and 140lbs and have already printed out the V2 chest and think it's already too large... I can't have my arms hanging straight down without clipping the side panels and that'll probably be magnified once I get the bicep parts on....  would 94-96% be better?  What size of person is the 100% scale meant for?

Thanks!

It's really hard to say because we are all so different in body size, shape, etc.  But when I printed armor for my daughter, I started with one simple piece (like a forearm) and then tried it at different percentages until I got the percentage that worked the best.  Then I sized the other pieces accordingly.  Mind you, she's 5 years old so YMMV.

As far as the helmet, I've always heard that the SF helmet runs small and many people end up printing it at 102 or 103.  So there may not be any changes needed there.

Have you ever played with the Armorsmith program?  It's designed specifically for that purpose -- sizing STLs for your body.  It's not free -- but hey, neither are spools of wasted PETG.  

https://www.thearmoredgarage.com/

Maybe @KOtrooper can weigh in on this. She printed her armor too.  

armorsmith is pretty great, used it for sizing my Mando armor before my printer died.

I’ll third the Armorsmith app. It’s about $30 bucks or so, but given the price of filament and what you could end up wasting trying to guesstimate what size to print at, it’s worth the investment. You’ll be able to create an avatar using measurements from your own body measurements so you’ll get a real sense of how the pieces fit on you. You can then tweak the size of the piece to get it just right and export the modified STL file for printing.

I only printed parts of my armor. I've heard great things about the Armorsmith app. 

For my uses, I've just dinked around with paper templates on what might fit me, measured the paper templates, and then scaled accordingly. I use the Prusa Slicer and can use metric/inches to scale the files.

• Thanks 1