Options for 3D printing

Moostic

Time for me to start printing pieces and getting things assembled, and I'm having trouble deciding which set of files to go with.

What are the differences between Mr Paul's and Sean Field's 3D files? If all I'm looking for is basic clearance, is it worth spending the extra £150?

And regarding helmet, I see a few variants on Thingiverse of Sean Field's helmet, but Nico's design seems to be the most popular in that regard.

Anything I've missed? Interested to hear what your guys' opinions are.

Paul's files are a lot more accurate.  However, you can get clearance with Sean's.  No issue there.  

Nico's version is also much more accurate and I think worth the expenditure for the STL.  

I've printed Paul's files for my daughter (sized down to 65%) and they are just very polished.  The pieces have interior labels, they fit together well, they have places where you can use use elastic cord to hold them together.  It's a great package

I've used Sean's files to print out small greeblies and I have printed his E-22.  You can't beat the price and the amount of work he put into it for no reward is really quite something.  

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone! Don't mean to hijack this thread. 

I had found several options on https://shoretrooper.co.uk/ and went with Ben Grieger's version: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1478364990/star-wars-rogue-one-inspired

I started work on the helmet, but haven't touched the armor yet (still very far out). Are Ben's files an accepted version of this build (at least for the helmet) or do I need to bite the bullet and start over?

12 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Hello everyone! Don't mean to hijack this thread. 

I had found several options on https://shoretrooper.co.uk/ and went with Ben Grieger's version: 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1478364990/star-wars-rogue-one-inspired

I started work on the helmet, but haven't touched the armor yet (still very far out). Are Ben's files an accepted version of this build (at least for the helmet) or do I need to bite the bullet and start over?

Not familiar with Ben's files.  I only know Sean Fields and Mr Paul's -- both of which are acceptable.  I'd have to evaluate them

With the increasing number of folks out there 3d printing and designing files it's difficult to keep on top of them all.  

22 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Not familiar with Ben's files.  I only know Sean Fields and Mr Paul's -- both of which are acceptable.  I'd have to evaluate them

With the increasing number of folks out there 3d printing and designing files it's difficult to keep on top of them all.  

What would be the best way to go about it? My untrained eye doesn't see any differences in the helmet, but that doesn't say much. Would it be possible to get these files evaluated so I know whether I should even continue using them, or should I just go ahead and spring for one of the approved designers instead? Thank you!

I think one of the biggest issues with evaluating the files you linked is that, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has printed them yet. So all we have is the renders from the store, where it’s tricky to see all the details.

@TooTall has started a WIP using these files, so it will be interesting to see how they look.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:02 AM, BikerScout007 said:

Ben's files aren't as polished or as accurate to screen used than Paul's, but they're much better than Sean's which were designed so long ago now and there's been a lot of detail discovered since then. There's a good number of "upgraded" parts on Thingiverse for Sean's, but it becomes a duck hunt finding it all.  👍

Same for Sean's E-22, it's not worth printing now that Helvio's is freely available :)

After some more browsing, I realized that TooTall is working with the same files, so I will also follow his progress. I am in the middle of the helmet print, so I will probably create my own WIP thread once I feel I have a bit more to show for :)

The one thing I’m very curious with is bens ab armor. I haven’t printed anything yet but I’m trying to find ways on how I’m gonna be able to put it on. Shins can be easy to put on, you would have to leave the back not glued in, only the front. The ab I have no idea if I can just slide it over myself like a shirt, or open up the back up and slide in through the side and just cover it with the backing panel provided