Fragarock's Scout Build

So, guess I'm nearing the end of this build. Last thing to do is to weather my cummerbund. Here goes!

Started off by dying it with earl gray tea. used 3 tea bags and submerged the whole thing for a couple minutes. Surprisingly it changed the color a lot in that short amount of time. Once dry I added weathering detail to the stitching areas at the front and on the cod piece. These areas didn't naturally darken from the tea.

This detail was created using oil paints mixed with Naptha and applied with a small brush. Get the brush very wet and let the color soak in along the seam. I used a mixture of white with a bit of raw umber. The idea is to make a very light beige mix that is very diluted. I applied this in layers, building it up. Then I made a new batch of burnt umber which has more red in it, again pretty diluted, to add color variation and more dirt effect. Added some droplets by flicking water/paint off the brush onto the cloth.

In addition to the seams I added color to edges of the cummerbund and along the top where you can imagine sweat would build up and along the top of the pouches. Similar approach was used on the pouches, figuring a lot of dirt would collect at the top and bottom. Make sure the weathering on the pouches in consistent with the cummerbund.

20230429_151321.jpg

20230429_152041.jpg20230429_152048.jpg

20230429_154359.jpg

Then I used the dirt spray to give it an overall grunge look and applied more paint mixture. 

20230429_155023.jpg

Here's the final product. Needs to dry outside until the Naptha evaporates off.

20230429_161901.jpg

I didn't document the weathering for the remainder of the armor but it's the same as what I've shown previously. Hope to have my submission photos completed this weekend.

• Like 2

Really enjoying following your progress.

What’s the dirt spray you referred to? I noted it when you mentioned it earlier, but forgot to ask at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really enjoying following your progress.

What’s the dirt spray you referred to? I noted it when you mentioned it earlier, but forgot to ask at the time.

It's called Movie Paint dirt spray. I haven't found it locally here in Michigan so I've ordered it. There are several L.A. based movie supply places that carry it. One if called FilmTools.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's called Movie Paint dirt spray. I haven't found it locally here in Michigan so I've ordered it. There are several L.A. based movie supply places that carry it. One if called FilmTools.

Ah cool. I think that’s similar to Dirty Down, which the UK guys use.

Hi,

I just submitted my photos for approval. Put the whole kit on 3 separate times today so I'm getting faster but man getting that side elastic on the chest fastened up is hard. Also need a better way to secure the pouches, they are way too easy to remove, it takes some effort but they could still get ripped off during a troop. 

Here are some of the final photos showing weathering on the other pieces. Thanks for watching!

Shoulder_2.JPG

Bicep1.jpg

Bicep2.jpg

FA1.jpg

Belt_1.jpg

Belt_2.jpg

Belt_5.jpg

Belt_7.jpg

Knee_1.jpg

Boots_2.jpg

Boots_4.jpg

Holster_3.jpgHolster_6.jpg

Holster_7.jpg

TD_1.jpg

Blaster_1.jpgBlaster_2.jpg

Final_Front_3.jpgFinal_Front_5.jpg

Final_Front_6_5GC7wjLwZpUQteMT8r5Y6J.jpgFinal_Front_4_tRbXZeqUVnaFSXmVT48EoG.jpg

Final_Right.jpgFinal_Left.jpg

• Like 2

Nice work.

I don't see any rear-side photos, but from what I can see, I suspect you'll be approved without issue.

The only item that might come up is that your drop box straps are not supposed to be functional. The webbing is supposed to be threaded behind the buckle.

Regardless, good work overall. I suspect it won't be an issue for approval.

56F515DE-D04F-48E9-A517-97F793329337_zps

4150E40A-3D0C-47AA-822F-AD3B124CB386_zps

Nice work.
I don't see any rear-side photos, but from what I can see, I suspect you'll be approved without issue.
The only item that might come up is that your drop box straps are not supposed to be functional. The webbing is supposed to be threaded behind the buckle.
Regardless, good work overall. I suspect it won't be an issue for approval.
56F515DE-D04F-48E9-A517-97F793329337_zps2cvynv69.png
4150E40A-3D0C-47AA-822F-AD3B124CB386_zps49dokox6.png
Whoa, I didn't realize that little detail. If its a problem I can fix it relatively easily. It is nice having them function, a little easier to position the cummerbund.

I went ahead and fixed the strapping at the front of the belt where the drop boxes connect. I figured it was easy enough to do and seemed to be a pretty glaring goof on my part. I'm gonna remove the old stitching to clean it up a bit too. I'm also going to nip off those tabs on the "T" greeblie on the biceps. They seemed so perfectly formed I figured they must be there on purpose. Perhaps they're part of the casting process RS uses. One of them is broken off anyways. I do see them on other RS kits that were approved though. Edit - RS confirmed those vertical tabs are on the original "found part" used to make this piece and they were removed for the film.

20230501_193349.jpg

I also fixed the recess panel on the drop boxes which I forgot to paint gray. 

Belt_9_dCqYH3ccHwcNsTJjDLqzPN.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Troopers,

After fixing the missing gray color on my drop boxes and removing the vertical tabs from the "T" greeblies my kit got approved! I have approval from the GML, just needs to be plugged into the system and transmitted to the appropriate parties within the 501st. Thanks to all of you who chimed in when I had questions and to those others who had really great build threads to reference. I've already replaced the dog bone leather covers on my boots with ones that extend down to the sole. Hope to submit for Level 2 approval soon.

Front_New_nKamWspNsnSHymANcbrrst.jpgFront_5_New.jpg

boots_17.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

[mention=83808]fragarock[/mention] just commenting here as I wasn’t able to in your lancer request thread but woah I’m so thoroughly impressed with the pictures you posted of the corrected, more-red weathering you submitted really well done, you should be really proud of that. Even the previous weathering that was more grey looking was incredible! Thought your detail was wicked and super effective.

L

(Please remove if this post isn’t allowed where I’ve posted it)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
[mention=83808]fragarock[/mention] just commenting here as I wasn’t able to in your lancer request thread but woah I’m so thoroughly impressed with the pictures you posted of the corrected, more-red weathering you submitted really well done, you should be really proud of that. Even the previous weathering that was more grey looking was incredible! Thought your detail was wicked and super effective.

L

(Please remove if this post isn’t allowed where I’ve posted it)

Thank you. I was really trying to match the screen look but with a different technique than others have used and one that I’m more familiar with from my shoretrooper build.

• Like 2