TooTall Shoretrooper build (3D Printed)

TooTall

Hello! This is gonna be my first shoretrooper build and since it’s my first, I might as well start off as a grunt. I am gonna be using Paul’s files for majority of the build and a more accurate hand plates from thingiverse (I remember reading that in here but correct me if I’m wrong) and the ab section is most likely gonna be an ABS kit (if someone can point me in the right direction that will be great!). I’m still doing some research on soft parts and looking at the CRL and some forums I hope to get this accomplished and approved. I’m not starting on the build right away, it’s gonna take some time to kick this project off. Also I’m open for feedback and suggestions thrown at me. TooTall out-

Hey, welcome! You're right that the hand plates have been updated. The accurate ones include an oblong recess in the top.

Imperial Surplus has great kits. I personally have a Backstage Props kit. There are others out there but Imperial Surplus seems to get the most praise.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, KOtrooper said:

Hey, welcome! You're right that the hand plates have been updated. The accurate ones include an oblong recess in the top.

Imperial Surplus has great kits. I personally have a Backstage Props kit. There are others out there but Imperial Surplus seems to get the most praise.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Thank you!! I’ll definitely look into it!

After looking through forums here are the paints I’m gonna go with

Base first layer coat: rust oleum dark walnut

Armor and Helmet: Montana gold Sahara Beige 

Red bicep: Toyota super red 2

Yellow decal on bicep: Montana gold show yellow (I think this is the one but I’m not sure)

Decal on pauldron: I’ll probably go with rust oleum matte black and white (open to suggestions for that)

Emblem on helmet: the crl said it was a “spicy orange” and there was also mention of a Montana paint color but I can’t think of it from the top of my head

Also for weathering I’m gonna have to figure that out to achieve but I think I have some ideas

if there’s anything else feel free to let me know :) 

Thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Also another quick update I'm on the debate of either printing my armor or get an abs kit. I've had my eye on the 850armorworks kit for a while now and its at a reasonable price and I can just trim it to my size (hopefully I can get it to fit my tall skinny self (I'm 6'4" at 150 lbs. btw so I hope it fits)) and it's a huge learning curve with assembling the kit. And then there's printing my armor, printing out different test pieces, playing around with scaling, etc....... (which can give me a headache) 

• 1 month later...

I would highly suggest going the 3D printed route given your height.

I’m printing Paul’s files which are built for a 5’10” and I feel at the very edge of the limit for that to fit well.

I”m 6’ tall, most kits are designed around that medium build average height frame. I would at least contact them to ask their thoughts but my gut says you’re going to have noticeable gaps with another 4” if going with an Off the shelf solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, Andy88 said:

I would highly suggest going the 3D printed route given your height.

I’m printing Paul’s files which are built for a 5’10” and I feel at the very edge of the limit for that to fit well.

I”m 6’ tall, most kits are designed around that medium build average height frame. I would at least contact them to ask their thoughts but my gut says you’re going to have noticeable gaps with another 4” if going with an Off the shelf solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s what I figured so I’m gonna keep going the 3D printed route. Soft parts are now added to the list of items to get as well as miscellaneous items like helmet fans, voice amp, padding, etc etc. I went and resized Sean’s armor in armorsmith and I think I’m good where I’m at but printing test rings wouldn’t hurt to try. I had to make the shins bigger cuz of my longer legsB7D6A0C9-1BEF-46C0-8BA5-4836D1E0D003.thumb.jpeg.c00b8026ed7266fd93533d8db8ae52b7.jpeg

The greaves as is are snug. I have mine open in the back, to give some room to slide my foot/leg in. As you likely know the greaves come in four pieces for the "core". I would encourage printing the middle bottom piece first as if you can slide your foot/calf through that piece the other three "should" be ok.  I do hope that helps.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Kilika said:

The greaves as is are snug. I have mine open in the back, to give some room to slide my foot/leg in. As you likely know the greaves come in four pieces for the "core". I would encourage printing the middle bottom piece first as if you can slide your foot/calf through that piece the other three "should" be ok.  I do hope that helps.

Cheers

Chris

I’ll keep that in mind thanks!!!!

• 9 months later...

This update had been really slow. And I mean REALLY slow. Last night I ordered my shoretrooper top from KeepTrooping (formerly know as Imperial Boot). I stood away from Sean’s file and wanted to try something different. I recently picked up Ben Griegers (NTX3D) new shoretrooper files that was released pretty recently. I kinda like as it follows most crl to me but I would like more eyes on this. IMG_2940.thumb.jpeg.64b9ff5a576a37ad2cf686864cf2a503.jpegIMG_2941.thumb.jpeg.35d32179951920c2d726259e1c3d5ada.jpegIMG_2948.thumb.jpeg.c374dccd8ea059f28599c538002bbe8c.jpeg

I saw these files posted on the Facebook group and they looked interesting. It's difficult to get a good idea of all of the details from the available pictures.

It looks like it has most of the requirements, nothing jumps out to me as missing, but we can't see if the handplates have the slots for example. To me there is something off about the proportions. This could just be due to the rendering though. Proportions will also change based on each person's needs.

As an example, the bottom of the shin covers look too "pointy" to me. Here's a comparison vs. the screen used to try and show what I mean:
SfQH1Sx.jpg

As far as I'm aware noone has printed these files yet, so we can't see what it really looks like, but it looks to me to be a viable option, just don't know how much work may be needed on it.

• Like 1

Yeah - they look ok. Hard to see a ton of the little details though. 

Should be approvable if finished correctly. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Larcwide said:

I saw these files posted on the Facebook group and they looked interesting. It's difficult to get a good idea of all of the details from the available pictures.

It looks like it has most of the requirements, nothing jumps out to me as missing, but we can't see if the handplates have the slots for example. To me there is something off about the proportions. This could just be due to the rendering though. Proportions will also change based on each person's needs.

As an example, the bottom of the shin covers look too "pointy" to me. Here's a comparison vs. the screen used to try and show what I mean:
SfQH1Sx.jpg

As far as I'm aware noone has printed these files yet, so we can't see what it really looks like, but it looks to me to be a viable option, just don't know how much work may be needed on it.

The handplates do have the slots actually!! the model is very thin which can also work but I like the ones from thingiverse personally. I do see the shin guards being “pointy”. Maybe a dremel can fit it a little bit or contact the modeler if it happens to cause a problem. I do see trying to put on the ab plating would be an actual issue but there can be ways to work around it. Guess I’ll be the first one to use them 😜

14 hours ago, KOtrooper said:

Yeah - they look ok. Hard to see a ton of the little details though. 

Should be approvable if finished correctly. 

I’ll be sure to send close ups to when I print them

• 1 month later...

My shore top from IB... i mean keeptrooping came in after a month when ordering. I'm very surprised it came in faster than expected. This one is actually a size small and it fits my tall self. Don't mind me having my mando helmet on lol. I can actually start printing some of my torso parts officially. The pants however I'm gonna aim for TheDarksideCloset with the custom sizing. The boots i wanted from katherinepartis are out of stock in all colors, I'm a size 12 in US men so I might have to try to find something. Resin strapping I some on etsy that i might try out. These files from ben don't have the little strap greeblie on the shin, luckily I have a file already on hand for it. I still have to order the endorfinder gloves. My weapon of choice is going to be the E22 blaster, its the modified sean fields thats more screen accurate i saw in a post here in the forums and I'm confident enough to make the sling from the guide here as well.

bUbzFM5.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! You are happy with the quality of the top?

Just got my Endorfinder gloves. I measured and came out to exactly 8 for the circumference so I went with a M, which they had listed. Let's just say that it's a very tight fit. I think I will be able to stretch mine out, but it's not ideal. Otherwise they feel great.

2 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Just got my Endorfinder gloves. I measured and came out to exactly 8 for the circumference so I went with a M, which they had listed. Let's just say that it's a very tight fit. I think I will be able to stretch mine out, but it's not ideal. Otherwise they feel great.

You can also remove the liner, i did this with mine so they would be a bit less hot.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Weasel said:

Im very happy with the quality of the top and neck seal it came with. The neck seal seems kind of “big” but it’s okay the balaclava will fit in there too and won’t choke me lol

• 7 months later...

Hello Hello! It's been a long while right? I'm slowly combing back to this build over time from with work and my personal life. Starting off with this update, I finally have the orca bay boots in Havana! These are a little big on my feet as I maybe should've gotten an 11.5 but its okay. I put some insoles in them to be more comfy and not have blisters when trooping, it also fixed the issue of them sliding on me when walking. On my endor finders gloves i have removed the liner and my hands fit so much better in them and doint get as hot anymore. As for armor i have looked at weasels build for references since he's using NTX3D files like I am. i haven't printed anything yet but test rings are priority>

• Like 1