Suitcase ... looking for ideas. (HELP)

NiTRoX

Hello:

In next April, i will have my first trooping outside my city and i will take an airplane. So, i´m looking for best ideas and recomendations about suitcase or similar (like the picture below).

what is your experiences?. Brands o what ever info/data you think is usefull.

Thanks a lot. 

iap_300x300.2368950054_3ex32vcr.jpg?vers

4 hours ago, Mark Zee said:

Be prepared to pay additional fees if you are flying because of the size of the container.  

Yeah i see.

But i need help with what suitcase buy. I asked for brand recomendation, sizes, etc.

Greeting

Mines in a suit case, hard cover, though when I flew up to Queensland for a troop, I used a helmet bag as a carry on and stuffed the smaller pieces in there, with the chest and belt I padded with my clothes and made sure everything was nice and snug. All went well though the worry of it not sure I would do it again. The following year the Jawa came out to play

• Thanks 1

What costume are you looking to transport? Is it a scout, shore trooper, something else? That will effect the size. Don’t expect your checked in luggage to be treated kindly, so you’ll need something durable. If you’re looking for a suitcase, you’ll definitely need a hard shell and you’ll be looking at around $150 on the low end to $500 for a high end Samsonite. Might be worth the investment if you travel a lot.

You might be able to get away with a medium size hard shell suitcase if you just use it for your armor and you pack your boots and soft goods in with your other luggage and bring your helmet on the plane in a carryon. Could save you some cash because it’ll be smaller and lighter.

If you’re looking for a Husky-like-case, as pictured above, keep in mind that the case will weigh more than what your transporting so you’ll likely have to pay extra fees and you’ll need to also purchase padlocks to secure it.

This is the model I use for my scout:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-Gal-Connect-Rolling-Tool-Box-249208/314213514

Everything I need to troop is packed in the bin. This should give you approximate dimensions to work with as you shop around. You might be able to go smaller if you carryon the helmet and pack your soft goods in with your clothing luggage.

I’d still recommend that you wrap everything in towels or use blankets to keep things from getting knocked around in flight and while being handled by baggage personnel.

1 hour ago, M.J said:

Mines in a suit case, hard cover, though when I flew up to Queensland for a troop, I used a helmet bag as a carry on and stuffed the smaller pieces in there, with the chest and belt I padded with my clothes and made sure everything was nice and snug. All went well though the worry of it not sure I would do it again. The following year the Jawa came out to play

I see, thanks MJ! Offcourse it is a good idea take helmet on a bag as a carry on. 

1 hour ago, AradunFF said:

What costume are you looking to transport? Is it a scout, shore trooper, something else? That will effect the size. Don’t expect your checked in luggage to be treated kindly, so you’ll need something durable. If you’re looking for a suitcase, you’ll definitely need a hard shell and you’ll be looking at around $150 on the low end to $500 for a high end Samsonite. Might be worth the investment if you travel a lot.

You might be able to get away with a medium size hard shell suitcase if you just use it for your armor and you pack your boots and soft goods in with your other luggage and bring your helmet on the plane in a carryon. Could save you some cash because it’ll be smaller and lighter.

If you’re looking for a Husky-like-case, as pictured above, keep in mind that the case will weigh more than what your transporting so you’ll likely have to pay extra fees and you’ll need to also purchase padlocks to secure it.

This is the model I use for my scout:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-25-Gal-Connect-Rolling-Tool-Box-249208/314213514

Everything I need to troop is packed in the bin. This should give you approximate dimensions to work with as you shop around. You might be able to go smaller if you carryon the helmet and pack your soft goods in with your clothing luggage.

I’d still recommend that you wrap everything in towels or use blankets to keep things from getting knocked around in flight and while being handled by baggage personnel.

Thank you very much for the answer in such detail, I really appreciate it.

Armor is a Biker Scout, just like you
I tried looking at local businesses (I live a long way from everything) and there wasn't much to choose from. Bringing from another place was expensive, and although I coincidentally found something similar to your Husky box, it did not have the desired height as your suitcase has. That was the bad news.

The good one I found one, but bigger. It is not a box as heavy as the photo I put at the beginning of this thread, but it is functional: It has wheels, a hook/knob to close and a retractable transport handle.
In our case, the airlines charge for everything, so the best combination is to put everything in the box, except the helmet. And in addition to putting hard and soft parts, my personal clothing also fits, which saves me one more piece of luggage.

Thank you all very much for helping. Now I'm going to personalize the box so wil it's ready for the trip in April.

Carro De Herramientas 29Pulg Con Organizador Ubermann

Awesome!  Sounds like you have everything in hand.  Enjoy that troop and have a safe trip!

PS.  Hope to see some pics in your trooping log.

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/forum/141-pathfinder-trooping-awards/

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 1:54 AM, NITRoX said:

I see, thanks MJ! Offcourse it is a good idea take helmet on a bag as a carry on. 

Thank you very much for the answer in such detail, I really appreciate it.

Armor is a Biker Scout, just like you
I tried looking at local businesses (I live a long way from everything) and there wasn't much to choose from. Bringing from another place was expensive, and although I coincidentally found something similar to your Husky box, it did not have the desired height as your suitcase has. That was the bad news.

The good one I found one, but bigger. It is not a box as heavy as the photo I put at the beginning of this thread, but it is functional: It has wheels, a hook/knob to close and a retractable transport handle.
In our case, the airlines charge for everything, so the best combination is to put everything in the box, except the helmet. And in addition to putting hard and soft parts, my personal clothing also fits, which saves me one more piece of luggage.

Thank you all very much for helping. Now I'm going to personalize the box so wil it's ready for the trip in April.

Carro De Herramientas 29Pulg Con Organizador Ubermann

Oook finally i buyed that one... and make some paint, lights and another stuff to make it dirty, old and cool.

I have some pic and videos on my IG @NiTRoX82  

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hey Marco, I hope you don't mind that I'm doing a little bit of gravedigging with this thread... ;) But with the Star War Celebration in London ahead I'm thinking about the transportissue myself. I do have a Stanley Fatmax but unfortunately I'm not able to fit all the armor and softparts inside. I know that there are helmet bags and you could take them as carry on but are there other "hardshell" opportunitys?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2022 at 4:00 AM, OnkelPaschulke said:

Hey Marco, I hope you don't mind that I'm doing a little bit of gravedigging with this thread... ;) But with the Star War Celebration in London ahead I'm thinking about the transportissue myself. I do have a Stanley Fatmax but unfortunately I'm not able to fit all the armor and softparts inside. I know that there are helmet bags and you could take them as carry on but are there other "hardshell" opportunitys?

Arne:

Yes! i buyed this:

Ubermann

model:  Sod.320314U

sizes: 40x48x117

All inside my box.

i have some pics and videos on my IG @tb66678 

link for videos: https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/17931025499209754/

Note: foam from alixpress, jut put it with silicone (hot), and paint &light home made ;)

i hope this help to you.

I saw there other cargo boxes from brand "husky" but they are very expensive on my country cos u need import from USA. 

Greetings.