The child crl question

2 hours ago, Giro118 said:

Hey all

Has there been any discussion on making the child part of the crl? For optional? 

Not that I remember.  And the Grogus folks troop with haven't been of the screen quality type.  Usually stuffed animals.  

Have you been prevented from trooping with a Grogu?

28 minutes ago, BikerScout007 said:

Not that I remember.  And the Grogus folks troop with haven't been of the screen quality type.  Usually stuffed animals.  

Have you been prevented from trooping with a Grogu?

I wouldn't say prevented. The grogu I have has a soft body but hard head and hands. Used it for acouple troops.  was told by my co that if I wanted to use that I would have to ask permission so I was just seeing if there was any discussion on making grogu an optional accessory

14 minutes ago, Giro118 said:

I wouldn't say prevented. The grogu I have has a soft body but hard head and hands. Used it for acouple troops.  was told by my co that if I wanted to use that I would have to ask permission so I was just seeing if there was any discussion on making grogu an optional accessory

No.  And I've asked the other DLs as well as the head LMO and as far as I've been told, there is no CRL where a life form with its own agency is an optional accessory. 

If Grogu was going to be paired up with any CRL, it would make the most sense to put him with Din, and that hasn't been done either.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:BH_DinDjarinS1V2

I know there is a "no puppet" CRLs rule, and this falls somewhere in that territory, though admittedly not exactly.  

It's not a precedent I can set on my own and would need some sort of wider discussion with the LMOs and Legion command.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, AJay Irish said:

Consider also;

Unless you’re really going all out and creating them yourself, all the grogu’s around are retail toys. I can’t imagine anything of that status ever being included in a crl?

Yes, my thought in discussing this with a few folks is that a living creature would have to seem that way, ie. animatronic or a puppet of sorts.  

• Like 1

We have a pre-beskar Mando in our Garrison that carries a Hot Toys Grogu. Always a big hit with the fans, and one pricey prop, but that’s about a close as you’re going to get to the real thing without going the animatronics or the puppet root. The problem is that Grogu is a character not a prop, so I don’t see how he could be added to a CRL.

Of course GMLs are free to make the call locally if a Mando Scout or the Mandalorian can use a Grogu toy of some sort as an accessory on a troop, but that’s becoming a problem too IMO. Again, he’s not an accessory, but a major face character even if he is a just a puppet/animatronic. When you have two or more Grogus running around at a troop it does get a bit silly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard a kid ask, “Why are there so many Baby Yodas?” when that happens.

Typically the Madalorian Mercs carry a grogu. One in the local AZ garrison/base has an animatronic one from where idk. We do have an artist in the Garrison that makes the kolwakian monkey lizards and sells those to the mercs too but as far as I know they are not in any CRL. I think it’s really a matter of what we’ve been discussing here regarding checking with your local command to troop with one rather than a CRL question. I would say the only time you probably couldn’t have it is for an LFL troop where you have to strictly follow the CRL.

Those animatronic Grogu toys are about 1/2 to just under 3/4 scale of the live action version, which is about 16.” I’d love to see a full scale animatronic version as detailed as a Hot Toys version. It would cost big bucks for sure, but would be super cool.

At this point it's in the hands of your Garrison.   If they allow you to troop with it, that's fine.  Some events, like conventions, are probably okay.  There may be others where they won't allow it.  

Based on my discussions with LMO and other DLs, it's not something we will be adding to the CRL at this time.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Keep in mind photos with the child on social media can become a target for all types to comment.

I would recommend great with con's, though remember in a group photo put him away or tucked in the bag. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I have one I got at WalMart, I have seen them at Target.  It's a plushies with a soft plastic head.  They come with different grins and smiles depending on which you buy.  I weathered a little to give him some detail.  He hides out in my bag.  Never, ever has anyone from our garrison given me a hard time time about him and he's always a big hit with kids.  Often times I leave the bag on our table with his head poking out as a side prop.

I have dreamed of the $400.00 one, but that's a ton of money imho.

I've trooped with one of the retail bought soft toys in a (correct) bag, just for fun troops like cons.

For those thinking of carrying a Hot Toys or similarly pricey animatronic, do remember that Joe public can be inclined to "join in the fun" and try to punch a grogu carried by a scout.

59 minutes ago, Dragon_a said:

I've trooped with one of the retail bought soft toys in a (correct) bag, just for fun troops like cons.

For those thinking of carrying a Hot Toys or similarly pricey animatronic, do remember that Joe public can be inclined to "join in the fun" and try to punch a grogu carried by a scout.

Oh yes, happy mine can take a punch.