Prelim Ques. for JFO Build

Aradun

Hey Armorers and fellow Pathfinders,

Having just played through JFO and following Jennyruth and Ammonites builds, I've got the bug to take on this build and am in the midst of researching everything I need to get started.  Thank you MrPoopie for the image files and 3D files you've posted!  You, sir, are without a doubt an incredible asset to the detachment!  I'm going into print mode this weekend!

I'm trying to get a sense of whether and how much of my ROTJ armor can be modified so that it's interchangeable with JFO and have some questions:

1. Shoulder Armor - I don't see any strapping around the upper arm.  Is Velcro or magnets used to hold them in place?
  2. Biceps - there's no strapping again, so I'm guessing that Velcro or magnets are used?
  3. Back Armor - I'm trying to work out a way that I can make my ROTJ tank topper removable so that I can swap it out with the JFO topper.  I'm thinking of using that sheet magnet stuff that they use for fridge magnets.  It's thin and could be cut to match the shape of the topper and then a second one could be glued to the underside of the top of the tank.  Thoughts?
  4. Knee Armor - The ROTJ has two straps, one of which is riveted in place.  The knee armor description for ROTJ basic clearance and JFO are identical.  My question here is would the rivets be an issue with clearance?
  5. TD - I have to flip the TD box and rotate the rectangular greeblie to meet the requirements for JFO, which should pose no issue for ROTJ with the recently updated description of the TD in the ROTJ CRL.  There's no question here, but if I'm miss reading this let me know.
  6. The only thing that I foresee at this stage that won't be interchangeable is the belt.  I don't see anyway to use or modify the ROTJ belt to make it interchangeable between costumes.  I know I can get one from SC, but it's going to take some trial and error to get the color to match my RS armor.  SC is very white ABS compared to RS.  I know some scouts have SC armor with an RS bucket, but I'm presuming they just repainted the bucket to match.  Any ideas on how to get the armor to match in color would be welcome!

I've got extra material from my ROTJ bund to make a JFO bund and plan to use the same Cod.  So aside from a new undersuit and neck seal, I've got the soft parts covered. 

If I'm missing or overlooking anything let me know and thanks for the assist!

The strapping was intentionally left off so it would be up to the trooper's discretion.  You can use straps, magnets, velcro -- whatever you think works.

The knee armor could be an issue for your GML -- it really would depend on them.  I personally think it's fine, but unfortunately it's not up to me.  If your GML is really strict, I could see them saying you need a different set of knees.

Magnets sound great for the tank topper.

You are right about the TD.  The new requirements allow any configuration as long as the dot is on the short side and the badge is on the long side.  So if you switch up your TD for the JFO, it would still be compatible with the ROTJ.

I'll have to let someone else chime in here.  When I wore my RS with my old SC armor, I just left them as is.  Nobody noticed :D

There are not a lot of options to make the bright white of the SC armor match the RS kit. RS changed the paint color of their helmet when they started making the armor kits.

The helmet used to be more of a pure white, but since there's a bit of a "cream" color to the RS plastic, I believe they started using a custom matched paint for their helmet. It's not pure white and it's not "racing white", it's somewhere in between.

Rusto makes a "blossom white" paint, which is only very slightly off white. You could try buying a can and doing a paint test on a scrap of plastic. The match doesn't need to be exact, just closer than it would be out of the box.

• Like 1

The strapping was intentionally left off so it would be up to the trooper's discretion.  You can use straps, magnets, velcro -- whatever you think works.

Awesome! That’s what I was hoping to hear. I’ll see how it goes. I like the clean look of Justin’s CRL photos. I already have Velcro on those pieces save the bells so I just might tuck the straps into the armor and try it with Velcro.

The knee armor could be an issue for your GML -- it really would depend on them.  I personally think it's fine, but unfortunately it's not up to me.  If your GML is really strict, I could see them saying you need a different set of knees.

I’ll reach out to my GML and see what he thinks. I have some ideas in case it’s an issue.

Thanks Mickey!

Rusto makes a "blossom white" paint, which is only very slightly off white. You could try buying a can and doing a paint test on a scrap of plastic. The match doesn't need to be exact, just closer than it would be out of the box.

I knew you’d have a suggestion Corey! Thanks for that! I’ll give that a go when the time comes to see if I can blend it in a bit. Although I don’t think it will be all that noticeable in the grand scheme of things. We’ll see.
  • Like 2

Hey Dennis. I like that you’re going for a new costume and I think that’s awesome. As a former GML and used to working with the LMO I would caution you on using parts of one costume to make up two costumes. The Legion typically desires that each costume be a separate whole costume and not made up of bits from other ones that are already approved. I think it’s a good idea to reach out to your GML and get a read on what you’re planning and make sure they’re good with it. Just want to make sure you avoid any “Imperial Entanglements” trooper:)

Hey Dennis. I like that you’re going for a new costume and I think that’s awesome. As a former GML and used to working with the LMO I would caution you on using parts of one costume to make up two costumes. The Legion typically desires that each costume be a separate whole costume and not made up of bits from other ones that are already approved. I think it’s a good idea to reach out to your GML and get a read on what you’re planning and make sure they’re good with it. Just want to make sure you avoid any “Imperial Entanglements” trooper:)

Interesting Pete. I was just assuming there wouldn’t be an issue given that so many swap out parts from a costume like the TIE Reserve for Bridge Crew, etc. all the time. I’ll definitely run it by my GML to see if there’s any issue. Solid advice and thanks for the tip.

You’ll need a new flight suit for it, JFO lacks the riding straps and flap on the backside.

I’m using a lot of Velcro to keep parts attached.  In some parts it’s easier, and others the armor is more difficult but overall I’m enjoying it.

Going for a regular trooper or getting the Commander Pauldron?

You’ll need a new flight suit for it, JFO lacks the riding straps and flap on the backside.
I’m using a lot of Velcro to keep parts attached.  In some parts it’s easier, and others the armor is more difficult but overall I’m enjoying it.
Going for a regular trooper or getting the Commander Pauldron?

Yep, I’m on it. I’ll need a new bund too, and neck seal but I’m kinda glad there’s no flak vest. One less layer to to add to the sweat factory. As to trooper or Captain? Not sure yet.