Lucasfan7 Scout build take 2

Lucasfan7

On 3/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, Chopper said:

Hey, I don't really see a lot that you haven't already identified --

Your shoulder bells are shifting back a bit, likely b/c your chest and back armor are shifted back as well.

I can't make out your butt flap very well in the overall back photo. From the half photo, it looks a little wide/long, but hold off on any corrections for now.

There's something under your mandarin collar -- is that a brass button, or the zipper peeking out?

Nice work, overall.

Ok cool, yeah I was wondering why my butt flap felt so weird. I think it might be a bit too wide but I will save that for last like you said and modify it if you guys say so once I do my final suit up. 
that spot showing through on my collar is my skin behind it. There is a little opening under the collar where you can see through. I was hoping my balaclava will hide it unless you have any other suggestions?

I will do my best to position my chest and back plate so that the straps and shoulder bells fall in line. 
Thanks for the heads up on these pieces. I will get to work. Hopefully the rest comes in soon. 

Ah ok, I recall someone had set of coveralls once that had a brass button on the collar, which is why I asked. If your balaclava is long enough to cover it, then it's no big deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Ah ok, I recall someone had set of coveralls once that had a brass button on the collar, which is why I asked. If your balaclava is long enough to cover it, then it's no big deal.

Ok cool, thank you. 
I believe I read that WIP when going through them a few months back. It sounds familiar 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick question-

I got my EC-17 in and I wanted to attach the magnet to the Inside of the holster. Having the magnet showing inside the holster won’t prevent it from getting Lancer approval will it? Or is there a way to attach the magnet so it doesn’t show? 

Can you remind me where you put the magnet on your holdout blaster? Is it in the handle?

I glued the holster magnet to the opposite side of the plastic. The side that's against the vinyl. If it's strong enough, it'll pull through the plastic. 

• Like 1

My magnet is inside of my boot where it can't be seen from the outside

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

Can you remind me where you put the magnet on your holdout blaster? Is it in the handle?

I glued the holster magnet to the opposite side of the plastic. The side that's against the vinyl. If it's strong enough, it'll pull through the plastic. 

My EC is one of Darth vorhees blasters so it is casted Into the front of the blaster right under the barrel 

7 hours ago, BikerScout007 said:

My magnet is inside of my boot where it can't be seen from the outside

Yeah that’s how I had my old one cause I have a magnet where the pressure pad is in the handle, but The DV blaster has the magnet casted In right indent the barrel, so I’m not sure how that would work

If you're using a DVH blaster, then there's a magnet in the handle as well. You should be able to glue a magnet on the opposite side of the plastic on the holster to help keep it in place.

• Like 2

I glued my magnet on the underside of the holster. It secures my DVH blaster just fine.

9d7ba6740c1312426e3d970bad457763.jpg

On 4/14/2021 at 4:04 PM, Chopper said:

If you're using a DVH blaster, then there's a magnet in the handle as well. You should be able to glue a magnet on the opposite side of the plastic on the holster to help keep it in place.

I checked mine and I only have the magnet in the nose of it. The handle would be convenient though, that’s where I had my last one at and it worked really well. If I put it on the inside of my holster instead of beneath the plastic would it still pass lancer. You would only be able to see it if you looked down into the holster when the blaster is out. 

As long as it is not visible, then it should be fine. You can also probably further hide it with a piece of white electrical tape.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, Chopper said:

As long as it is not visible, then it should be fine. You can also probably further hide it with a piece of white electrical tape.

Ok cool, I will do my best to hide it. Probably paint it white 

• 4 weeks later...

Alrighty, so I got my RS Bucket in finally, it looks great. I got a good deal of electronics to fit into it so I instantly ripped out all the black padding and painted the back part for the ear holes, I also added my padding.

I am absolutely in love with this bucket but I am finding it hard to find a place to put the fans. The fans in my old one were right by the ear holes but I don’t want them to be visible so I was hoping to get some suggestions on where everyone else puts theirs?

Awesome! Glad to see you have your bucket in hand. Looks good. With regard to the fans, I find that I do not need them. I don’t have them in my RS and I don’t have any issue with heat or fogging lenses. I find that the openness of the bottom of the bucket coupled with the ear holes provide ample circulation and that’s with all of the padding of the red label, but YMMV. Now my TK bucket is a completely different story, .

On 5/20/2021 at 4:24 AM, AradunFF said:

Awesome! Glad to see you have your bucket in hand. Looks good. With regard to the fans, I find that I do not need them. I don’t have them in my RS and I don’t have any issue with heat or fogging lenses. I find that the openness of the bottom of the bucket coupled with the ear holes provide ample circulation and that’s with all of the padding of the red label, but YMMV. Now my TK bucket is a completely different story, .

Lol, that’s the truth, my old TK used to be a sauna for my head, I used to have images in my head of me taking off my bucket and my head looking like one of those witch doctors shrunken heads. 
Thanks for the tips

• Like 1

009521020ad0131719bb657f7348f1ac.jpge898dd04dc8cbd752ad1e0507080466d.jpg5b0ef81769b405c102ad9976c47cca25.jpgb88327cdb962135d9bbdccfce7e91034.jpg

So I finished up my build for basic approval and submitted. I was originally planning on submitting for Lancer but I’m not sure if I can now with my weathering. Its a bit on the heavy side, I know not everyone is into the weathered look, but I love how lived in it makes the costume. I was originally planning on going more screen accurate with the weathering but went this rout Instead.
I built everything else to lancer spec so I feel very accomplished, though I need to adjust some of the fitment in these pics so that they look better since these were meant for basic approval and I wasn’t picking it apart. The one thing I’m a little iffy on are my pouches, they look small.

All in all I’m extremely happy with it but please give me whatever constructive criticism you have or any pointers on what I can improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Hi Manoah, overall your build looks really solid and it is well proportioned and fitted to your frame. I don't think you will have any issues with basic clearance from that respect. You should be proud of yourself.

I agree with your self-assessment that the weathering is on the heavy side. It's actually under the Level 1 part of the CRL where it says "lightly weathered", but that's with your local GML. I suspect you will likely be ok, but it could be a potential issue.

For Level 2, you would need to take the weathering down. That said, I still encourage you to apply for Lancer whenever you feel ready to do so and we'll work through it.

Again, nice work documenting your build and great job with finally finishing the process!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Brother! It’s great to see you bring this build to completion and I gotta echo Corey’s comment that you’ve put together a solid build and it is well proportioned for you. You look fantastic! Excellent job with fit and tailoring.

Your right about weathering not being for everyone, but I’m a fan and went with that myself. I know you went with heavier weathering to achieve that lived in look as a matter of personal preference, but I gotta tell you I’m digging it. You look like you’ve been out on patrol skirmishing with Rebel Scum and dodging nasty Murder Bears and you survived to tell the tales of glory for the Empire. Well done. Good luck with basic approval! Keep us posted!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

Hi Manoah, overall your build looks really solid and it is well proportioned and fitted to your frame. I don't think you will have any issues with basic clearance from that respect. You should be proud of yourself.

I agree with your self-assessment that the weathering is on the heavy side. It's actually under the Level 1 part of the CRL where it says "lightly weathered", but that's with your local GML. I suspect you will likely be ok, but it could be a potential issue.

For Level 2, you would need to take the weathering down. That said, I still encourage you to apply for Lancer whenever you feel ready to do so and we'll work through it.

Again, nice work documenting your build and great job with finally finishing the process!

Thanks brother, I really appreciate it and all the help you have given me over the last few months. 
I completely agree with everything you said and I’m actually really curious to see how much weathering I could get away with for lancer, though I almost think it’s blasphemy to say that because I think lancer should be as close to screen accurate as possible and unless I’m willing to do that then I would only submit for lancer for fun, just to see how close I can get. I’m going to just remove the weathering if I seriously submit for lancer.  

3 hours ago, AradunFF said:

Hey Brother! It’s great to see you bring this build to completion and I gotta echo Corey’s comment that you’ve put together a solid build and it is well proportioned for you. You look fantastic! Excellent job with fit and tailoring.

Your right about weathering not being for everyone, but I’m a fan and went with that myself. I know you went with heavier weathering to achieve that lived in look as a matter of personal preference, but I gotta tell you I’m digging it. You look like you’ve been out on patrol skirmishing with Rebel Scum and dodging nasty Murder Bears and you survived to tell the tales of glory for the Empire. Well done. Good luck with basic approval! Keep us posted!

Thanks brother, that put a smile in my face. I really had a balance game in my head of doing a more screen accurate kit which was my goal all along, or build something that makes kids ask questions and wonder where I have been. The majority of the 501st (Star Wars) costumes I have made in the past have been weathered and they always get more curious questions from kids and adults alike. I am still craving that classic ROTJ look though so who knows in a couple months, lol.

P.S.-your lancer submission photos where all saved to an album on my phone and I used them as reference for my build as well as my final suit up for my submission photos so thank you for your extremely thorough and educational WIP. It wa a greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

It’s official, I am once again an 501st ROTJ scout trooper. It feels great. 
I am going to go back through my kit and lighten up some of the weathering in the next week or so. 

• Like 2

I am going to go back through my kit and lighten up some of the weathering in the next week or so. 

Hot diggity! Do I sense a Lancer app in the future or just a minor disturbance in the force? Congrats again brother.
  • Thanks 1