Flight suit for very small women

Hi, I'm not actually 18 (still in the Galactic Academy), so I have a while to build my scout costume. Right now I'm still trying to price everything out. I eventually want to build a shadow scout but since the flight suit is the same as the regular biker scout to my knowledge I thought I would ask my question here. I'm a 5'1" gall and about 103lbs. I know how to sew pretty well so moderate modifications isn't an issue. I have had bad experiences trying to purchase a flight suit in the past because as far as I've been able to tell they don't come in my size. Any advice on how I might be able to get a suit that actually fits?

You might want to look at these -- Dickies has a line of women's coveralls. I am not sure how well they fit in real life, but they do have a size XS available.

https://www.dickies.com/coveralls-overalls/womens-long-sleeve-cotton-coveralls/FV483.html

@Jennk182, do you or other folks in the Recon Fatale crew have some suggestions?

I ordered mine off of etsy, Krypton Top is the shops name.  Link should be in here.  You provide exact measurements (I'd honestly add about an inch around the chest and crotch to neck line, to give more wiggle room to the undersuit), but the price was fair given how long it would have taken me to make something like this. They shipped immediately when the COVID restrictions were lifted.  I recommend them and will order from them again when I need some stuff made.  Excellent communication and speed.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/529413725/sw-biker-scout-trooper-complete-soft?ref=yr_purchases

I was hoping not to have to order something custom made and avoid the premium price, but it's good to know the seller is trustworthy in case I decide to order. I dug around online and found this child-size flight suit that should fit me based on the measurements: https://www.armysurplusworld.com/kids-black-flight-suit

Would this be up to CRL standards if it were modified with the proper collar closure and the zippers were removed?

It looks like it’d be okay. You’d have to remove the zippered pockets from the legs and arms. The image doesn’t zoom in well but it looks like two on each leg - thigh and calf) and it looks like one on the upper arm. I think you can get away with leaving the zippered pockets on the chest so long as they are not visible underneath your chest armor. [mention]Chopper [/mention] thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to see in the small photo they have posted, but if you remove the zippers and pockets and alter the collar, then then it would be fine on the biker scout side. Now, I know you're working on a shadow scout, and I'm no expert on that CRL, but you might also consider a 2 piece suit, as that should be an option as well -- both for the biker scout and shadow scout.

I believe the CRL for the flight suit of the shadow scout is virtually identical to biker scout, they even link to biker scout reference images. I hadn't considered a two-piece flight suit but will definitely look into that as well.

There’s another member here who is 5’2” and working on a Mando Scout. Perhaps you might be able to assist one another, as I believe she’s also finding it challenging to find a suitable undersuit and is exploring a two piece option. She goes by [mention]Cat [/mention]here on the forums and her build thread can be found here:

http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?/topic/21998-tusken-raider-turned-biker-scout/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Chopper said:

It's hard to see in the small photo they have posted, but if you remove the zippers and pockets and alter the collar, then then it would be fine on the biker scout side. Now, I know you're working on a shadow scout, and I'm no expert on that CRL, but you might also consider a 2 piece suit, as that should be an option as well -- both for the biker scout and shadow scout.

Yeah Spec Ops allows a two piece if that is something you want to do. Most of the scouts will have to do some tailoring of their flight suits to fit their body type. The Shadow follows the ROTJ scout but there are some differences there so I’d recommend taking a look at that CRL as well. Kudos to you for starting your research early and we’re here to help so keep posting up those questions.

https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TX_shadow_scout

• 5 months later...

I’m a couple inches and about 20 pounds heavier, and I’ve had quite a difficult time finding small parts of anything to fit me. I’m still working on my costume because of that reason. But, I decided that since I’d have to do a whole lot of modifications anyway, I’d just make my own. If you can sew well, you may give it a shot. I did mine in two pieces, pants and a jacket. The frustrations are real, but be patient and you can do this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jennyruth said:

I’m a couple inches and about 20 pounds heavier, and I’ve had quite a difficult time finding small parts of anything to fit me. I’m still working on my costume because of that reason. But, I decided that since I’d have to do a whole lot of modifications anyway, I’d just make my own. If you can sew well, you may give it a shot. I did mine in two pieces, pants and a jacket. The frustrations are real, but be patient and you can do this!

Thanks for this! I'm beginning to think sewing my undersuit myself is the best option, especially after seeing how well your soft parts turned out in your build thread, Jenny. I saw that you posted the pattern for the pants in your build thread, do you also have a pattern for the jacket?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, DarthSnark said:

Thanks for this! I'm beginning to think sewing my undersuit myself is the best option, especially after seeing how well your soft parts turned out in your build thread, Jenny. I saw that you posted the pattern for the pants in your build thread, do you also have a pattern for the jacket?

I actually used a shirt pattern I had used before and modified it. Let me see if I can round up some stuff for you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DarthSnark said:

OK, I just made a post on my WIP in case it helps others too. Let me know if you have questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello Daisy, have you thought of a two piece under suit?

I'm under 5 foot and I have black shirt and black pants as my undersuit, through the 8 years I have updated, though still the two piece, easy to go to the bathroom. 

The pants are the same  canvas fabric as overalls and the shirt is mens size redesigned to the shape of the scouts. If your keen let me know and I can show photos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M.J said:

Hello Daisy, have you thought of a two piece under suit?

I'm under 5 foot and I have black shirt and black pants as my undersuit, through the 8 years I have updated, though still the two piece, easy to go to the bathroom. 

The pants are the same  canvas fabric as overalls and the shirt is mens size redesigned to the shape of the scouts. If your keen let me know and I can show photos.

Thanks so much for your reply, I would definitely be interested in photos! I think I have decided that a two piece undersuit is going to be the best option. I'm thinking I'll just sew my own from scratch at this point but if you know of a good source for purchasing a top and pants that would work I'm definitely interested.

Daisy more than half our Scouts here have the two piece, I wouldnt be able to wear my scout all day I didnt have the luxury of the two piece.

The pants are like those cargo pants so a good thick pair, no visible pockets or extra sew lines, I was lucky to find a pair with the slit pockets like that of the overalls, it did take a little while for me to find the right pair but since then I have found plenty. Your unpicker becomes very handy

The photo is old sorry but you should be able to get the idea. The Velcro  you can see on the knees, its a hidden tip, being small my knee amour would droop so placing Velcro kept them up and looking good.

51237526913_543ce45402_o.jpg

The shirt, buy a mens its larger and right cut and shape, I found the same shade black as the pants, I made the collar to match that of Scout, using the cuffs of the shirt, I took all buttons off, folded over the button hole seam and used Velcro, the collar is pretty easy, just make sure the sew lines are few so you do have to have some thought before sewing on. Sorry no photos atm.

I've had my scout over 8 years and replaced the top half a few times, paints are still going good, though I've helped so many Scouts here in my Garrison  adding  the patches and elastic, not my favourite part but some how I stuck doing it, though I get  them to do  all the unpicking.

Little tip, I was making 3 in a row, and found the bum flap was too small, so always measure and make sure, lucky it was a work bee and they were trying them on. So pin put them on, photo take a look. 

Remember your sleeves are not seen so cut and hem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1