3D File Breakdowns

MrPoopie

I've decided I should compile the breakdowns of the 3D files I've been able to go over so that i's easier for everyone to see the pros/cons of each model kit. Hopefully this will help folks decide how they want to move ahead as well as possibly let some designers know where they need to adjust or work on things for better accuracy. I'll try to get some pictures up soon to help so examples.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do3D Patrol Trooper Files

After taking a close look at the Do3D files I've got a breakdown for everyone.

First of all these files should be approvable for a Level 1 certification with proper finishing work.  That being said they suffer from several of the same issues that the Nikko files do; lack of proper details, integrated parts for easier printing, wrong proportions. These parts will make it over the bar but just barely and only when the bar is low. For a Level 2 certification it will take considerable custom work to fix detail issues. All I all, still not terrible. Keep in mind I am being super critical to point out as many inconsistencies as possible. If you've got any questions or need some further explanation or details about what I'm talking about just let me know.

Helmet:

Too narrow, wrong shape at rear, missing trapezoid inserts (side and rear), wrong angle on the ears, no cutouts on nose, gills cut all the way through when they should be closed, under blast shield details missing as well as being a single piece. Blast shield should be a separate part from the helmet all the way down. Aerators details are incorrect and should be a mess material like normal TKs. Mouth area details are a bit weak but still acceptable. Tears are inset and should stick out instead. Work will need to be done to make side tubes and brow tube appear to be rubber-like material.

Shoulder:

Lower edge shape should be curved, inset vertical lines should be the same width as the diagonal ones. Very thick.

Bicep:

Slightly incorrect shape on rear “straps”. Should taper a bit more from top to bottom. Too thick.

Forearm:

Missing leading edge oval. Lack of a few detail edges and some in the wrong position. Outer “wing” is wrong shape and should be more connected to the main body, there shouldn’t be a gap on the leading edge between the wing and body.

Hand:

Missing leading edge oval. Top ridge is too narrow.

Chest:

Side straps and buckles should be separate parts. Sides underneath straps should not be a recessed area. Lower center should be a separate facet. The entire lower chest area is made up of facets that flow together. Button configuration is incorrect and lacks proper details. Missing inset black circle on upper chest area near collar. Chest curve is slightly off and a bit too curved which gives the appearance of pushing the whole chest outwards. Basic chest shape should be the same as the Shoretrooper. Collar shape is alright but missing inner lip and doesn’t come down far enough. The collar ends should meet up to the bottom of the neck opening. Top buckles look good and are a separate part along with the proper ribbed shoulder covers, although you’ll want rubber-like shoulder covers instead of printed ones.

Back:

Overall shape of the main back is good. Missing semi-circle on lower back below back box. Back box is the wrong proportions and should be closer to square than it is. Lower back box inset is the wrong shape. Missing all surface details as well as several on the sides and top of back box. Insert greebles are incorrect. Upper inserts are the wrong shape. The trapezoids that receive the shoulder covers are the wrong shape and missing oval inset details.

Abs Front:

Front ab section is fairly accurate. Side triangle shapes are good but way too large and should only come around to the side of the waist and not farther. Ribbing on the sides of the abs is correct.

Abs Back:

Rear overall shape is good. Lower triangle should not be a recessed area but should just be small “canyons” like the shoulders. Upper and lower areas should be on the same plane. The upper area should not be farther out than the lower area.

Belt:

Belt boxes look correct. Missing the small bezel in the edges right underneath the tapered edge. Not present are the back box cover, blaster holster and baton holster.

Thermal Detonator:

Wrong in too many ways to discuss.

Cod:

Overall shape is good. Should be a bit longer on the top edge so that it fits underneath the belt for attachment.

Shin:

Very inaccurate and most likely not approvable. Main body of the shins is the wrong overall shape and not made up of the right components. Front shin is the correct basic shape but has inaccurate details. Lacking some details and includes some details it shouldn’t have. The knee should only have one “wing” and is missing the lower section. The knee should be in front of the shin parts. Missing buckles and proper straps. This looks like a modified TK shin with extra parts strapped on it.

Boots:

Bridge cover is too angular and should not be symmetrical. Missing heel and toes covers.

• Like 4

Nikko Patrol Trooper Files

So here's what I've seen with the Nikko files. I appreciate that he was aiming for a CRL approvable set of models and wants to make things easier by including detail parts into the models for easier assembly. Doing this makes it more difficult to make a proper build though since strapping, buckles, etc need to be separate parts and made of specific materials for CRL standards. Overall these models are pretty accurate in the broad strokes and with some fixes would be approvable. He based his models on the CRL images. The problem with that is the CRL armor is not particularly accurate to begin with. Since the CRL was created we have many more accurate sources of material and a better idea of small parts and how things look now. Overall not a bad set of models but it would need a decent amount of extra work to make usable.

Helmet:

Helmet has many inaccuracies not worth listing them all. Honestly this part is probably the least accurate of them all.

Shoulder:

One edge is curved instead of a sharp angle.

Bicep:

Seems alright.

Forearm:

Left Forearm wrong overall shape on edges and details on top wrong, missing front oval in leading edge. Right Forearm wrong overall shape on edges and details on top wrong, missing front oval in leading edge, "Black Ovals" should not be cut all the way through.

Hand:

Handplate missing oval on leading edge.

Chest:

Chest has strapping built into models, oval is cut all the way through and should not be, buckle style is wrong.

Back:

Back is missing several "channel" detail on sides and top, strapping is built into model, recessed boxes are not deep enough and show incorrect details.

Abs Front:

Sides of ab triangle slightly off.

Belt:

Front belt box has rounded cut-out instead of rectangle cut-out. All belt boxes missing small channel underneath the tapered edge.

Thermal Detonator:

Wrong overall shape.

Cod:

Cod lower angle not sharp enough.

Shin:

Shin buckle style wrong, missing black oval. Knee wing not sticking out.

Boots:

Missing toe cover. Ankle cover missing curve on top edge.

• Like 2

I've uploaded the full Patrol Trooper armor set. Please go check out the link in the Vendor section.

Any chance this can get pinned so it’s easy to find and reference when you’re done? Phenomenal work as usual.

1 minute ago, AradunFF said:

Any chance this can get pinned so it’s easy to find and reference when you’re done? Phenomenal work as usual.

One step ahead of you. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, MatuteX77 said:

Good job Justin!! In the DO3D files, do you have both forearms? Or only the right one? I thought it could be mirrored, but I see in the CRL that the left one is different.

Thanks

09_CRL_PT_forearms.png

Here are the shots of the Do3D Forearms. You can see the details are a bit off on the main part of the arm and the "side wings" are missing the proper overall shape as well as the diagonal detailing. The forearms are also missing the oval inlay on the leading edge (not visible in the CRL photo). The above CRL photo isn't an exact replica of the screen-used armor either, just keep that in mind.

50210904042_04e5a12acf_o.jpg

50210627746_7c66d33ae1_o.jpg

50210106358_c8b6428954_o.jpg

Here is a better look at the proper forearms as seen on the Sideshow figure.

50210648086_5526db25de_o.jpg

50210923502_e6b29278fb_o.jpg

• Like 1

Alain Rivard Trooper Files

Breakdown of the Alain Rivard files. I’ve had these files for quite some time and they are by far the most accurate overall but still not without some inaccuracies. You should no problems with approval with this kit with a few exceptions.

Helmet:

Suffers from being too narrow like all the rest. Details are quite accurate. Eyes are a bit too wide hiding the tears when viewed from directly in front. Greebles are very good.

Shoulder:

A bit too thick but details are all good. Strange “hump” on front leading edge.

Bicep:

Too thick.

Forearm:

Details seem pretty accurate but my models were missing the left forearm. This may have been fixed at some point but I’m not aware of it.

Hand:

Very accurate and include the leading edge ovals.

Chest:

Shape is a bit off and sides near armpits should taper outward just slightly as it goes down towards the waist. Missing the facet on the side areas which leaves a slight triangular overhang with the front facets (difficult to describe). Very thick overall. Missing buckles.

Back:

Very accurate and includes all the small detail bits on the back box. Has extra raised area near shoulder strap area. This isn’t a problem as it will be covered by the shoulder straps. Slightly thick overall. Back greebles are very accurate.

Abs:

Mostly accurate. Missing some of the side triangles, front looks very good. Back abs are very accurate as well. Does not include any lower lip area to hide underneath belt which may make it difficult to line everything up properly but is something that can be fixed.

Belt:

Front center box has an oval shaped recess which should be rectangular. Does not include slight bevel in the sides of the boxes. Missing the cover for the larger back pouch as well as the blaster holster. Baton holster is inaccurate and includes a longer version which would go the bottom length of the baton. This would need to be removed. Baton holster does not look like it one end over the other where it buttons.

Thermal Detonator:

Main body shape is fairly accurate. “lid” area should be slightly larger than the surrounding body. Endcaps are not accurate. One button should be round.

Cod:

Lowest part of the cod is a bit too angular and cuts back at too extreme of an angle.

Shin:

Fairly accurate. Missing oval inset area near buckle. Buckles not included.

Boots:

Missing toe coverAnkle and heel covers should be symmetrical.

Baton:

Fairly accurate. Ends of baton should be tapered and not mushroom shaped.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MrPoopie said:

Forearm:

Details seem pretty accurate but my models were missing the left forearm. This may have been fixed at some point but I’m not aware of it.

Justin, I have contacted Alain a few minutes ago. He told me he wasn't aware of the difference, he is now on vacation but when he comes back he'll fix it. So let's wait.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MatuteX77 said:

Justin, I have contacted Alain a few minutes ago. He told me he wasn't aware of the difference, he is now on vacation but when he comes back he'll fix it. So let's wait.

That's great and I'll update the post to reflect the change as soon as we can verify the new part.